Is Auburn settling for mediocrity worth the price?

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I certainly don't think we are a dumpster fire. Gus has had us competitive pretty much for all these years. Yes, he has had trouble w/ GA no matter where we play now, but he has held his own with Alabama and LSU at home. 

But saying all this, I do like Sark a lot too, bc of hos offensive schemes, and he knows how to be a HC. 

The problem I see with someone like him, or other established coaches we go after is that what I expect will happen is they will agree to interview, knowing in the back of their mind, they are only trying to get a bigger raise at their current school, which will work, ala how Gus did it back in 2017.

We will end up going to tier 2 coaches then...and then we are rolling the dice even more with worse odds of being successful. 

If he wants to be an HC, he’s not just angling for more pay as an OC.

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I certainly don't think we are a dumpster fire. Gus has had us competitive pretty much for all these years. Yes, he has had trouble w/ GA no matter where we play now, but he has held his own with Alabama and LSU at home. 

But saying all this, I do like Sark a lot too, bc of hos offensive schemes, and he knows how to be a HC. 

The problem I see with someone like him, or other established coaches we go after is that what I expect will happen is they will agree to interview, knowing in the back of their mind, they are only trying to get a bigger raise at their current school, which will work, ala how Gus did it back in 2017.

We will end up going to tier 2 coaches then...and then we are rolling the dice even more with worse odds of being successful. 

Certainly agree.  And to be clear, I'm not saying we're a dumpster fire now...but if the trajectory continues we could be one in 2021 and then we're looking at tier 2/3 candidates and gambling big.

If we pulled the trigger now and hired Cristobal, I don't see that as a big gamble...checks most of the boxes and will have us recruiting at an elite level right away.  But would Cristobal be interested in an entire rebuild after 2021? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It means that your original post is composed of the thought process suggesting you may be giant, gaping p****.

Simple enough?

yall have no answers.  Saban is the best.  So he is the best ever and for all time????  Nobody in the SEC can come up with even a competitive game with him?  That makes no sense, unless there is something else going on.  Just saying

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Because:

1) They have the best coach in college football history on the sidelines.

2) They run a more complicated scheme than pretty much everyone in college football.

3) They've built a culture that is proven over the last 12 years to win championships and put loads of dudes in the NFL. 

Guess what happens when you do those things?  The absolute best players want to play for you.  Get enough of em and yeah, you'll beat the crap out everyone.

you are just stating the obvious.  You dont ask the question WHY?  Why is he the best coach?  When SABAN  first came to Alabama he did not dominate the way he is right now.  He lost of few games to average teams.  So over the years what has he done that other coaches did not do?  Oher coaches have nice facilities and recruiters etc.  I think that there is more going on than just above the board competition among recruiting.    I believe there are incentives in play that need bringing out into the open. 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, Brad_ATX said:

This is what you've got?  Seriously?  Yeah, let's not worry that our program is going to shambles.  We've got to get Bama!  JFC I will never understand the little man complex that Auburn fans have.

You're right about one thing though.  It's not luck.  They are good because of the culture they've built under Saban.  He did the same thing at LSU in case you forgot.

They're not cheating any more than we are.  Know why the best players keep going there?  It's because they send a ridiculous amount of players to the NFL.

Alabama fans are talking about how many points they have beat everybody by this year.  Thats obscene.  To me that proves that the imbalance has reached a level that needs to be questioned by the league office or NCAA or somebody.

1 hour ago, 9956KJMaction said:

Alabama fans are talking about how many points they have beat everybody by this year.  Thats obscene.  To me that proves that the imbalance has reached a level that needs to be questioned by the league office or NCAA or somebody.

You:  "Mom, can you make big brother stop beating me!!!  He's cheating!"

Mom: "How did he cheat sweetheart?"

You: "He's bigger than me!  It's not fair!"

1 hour ago, 9956KJMaction said:

you are just stating the obvious.  You dont ask the question WHY?  Why is he the best coach?  When SABAN  first came to Alabama he did not dominate the way he is right now.  He lost of few games to average teams.  So over the years what has he done that other coaches did not do?  Oher coaches have nice facilities and recruiters etc.  I think that there is more going on than just above the board competition among recruiting.    I believe there are incentives in play that need bringing out into the open. 

He lost six games in year 1 at Bama with Shula players.  He played in the SEC title game in year 2, mostly with Shula players.  He won the national title in year 3 with a mix of his own recruits and Shula leftovers.

College football has always been imbalanced and a game of haves and have nots.  If you want equal chances for everyone, may I suggest the NFL and it's use of the salary cap.

Auburn has been settling on being mediocrity for the past 8 years. It's time for the powers that be to wake up and change all of that. We have to have a proven winner for Auburn's new head coach.

2 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

When Saban first got there he didn't have his players. After he got a couple recruiting classes...what happened? Oh they started winning ...and they have yet to stop. No they used to not blow teams out like they are because they played ball control Offense and relied on Defense which at the time was a winning strategy. Then change came. Nick Saban realized that he could no longer stay at the top unless he adapted with the times on offense. Now they have a great Offense and a great Defense. End result....blowing out most teams. 

2 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

yall have no answers.  Saban is the best.  So he is the best ever and for all time????  Nobody in the SEC can come up with even a competitive game with him?  That makes no sense, unless there is something else going on.  Just saying

Gus has beaten him 3 out of 8. He is not invincible, but when you have that much talent and that good of coaches you tend to have a lot more room for error.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

He lost six games in year 1 at Bama with Shula players. 

He didn't give a damn if he won 1 game that year not wanting to set high expectations for year 2.  You could see it in his demeanor on the sideline. Go back and watch some of the games. That year gave him time to set the wheels in motion in perception and recruiting. 

Archived