Waiting Out the Contract

Zeek

I know this is all fiction - 

I wonder how if this would play out: if we had Derek Mason and Vandy had Gus for the next two seasons.  

Same staffs - just swap coaches.  Interesting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allen Greene and the BOT's need to pay that buyout and tell Gus byebye. If they keep him for next year, nothing will change and we'll be looking at another 4 to 5 loss season. As I said, nothing will change.

This whole thing is so stupid and so easily resolvable.  The writing is on the wall -- Gus, the team, and Sexton know it.

A competent AD, with approval from BOT, would sit Gus down at the end of the season (or now) and say you are not getting another extension.  Ever.  Your recruiting is tanking and will further tank next year.  If you want to part ways now, we will give you _____ (like 1/2) to go quietly (like Tubby).  If not, we will sit back and watch you implode.  And that will be the end of any chance of you ever coaching Power 5 again.  Now go to Waffle House and think it over.

Just now, Butthead said:

This whole thing is so stupid and so easily resolvable.  The writing is on the wall -- Gus, the team, and Sexton know it.

A competent AD, with approval from BOT, would sit Gus down at the end of the season (or now) and say you are not getting another extension.  Ever.  Your recruiting is tanking and will further tank next year.  If you want to part ways now, we will give you _____ (like 1/2) to go quietly (like Tubby).  If not, we will sit back and watch you implode.  And that will be the end of any chance of you ever coaching Power 5 again.  Now go to Waffle House and think it over.

Gus would laugh to the bank . And I have no doubt some desperate program (probably a lowly power 5) would give him a job.  Unfortunately, we’ve legit given Gus all the power. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus would laugh to the bank . And I have no doubt some desperate program (probably a lowly power 5) would give him a job.  Unfortunately, we’ve legit given Gus all the power. 

Lets not kid ourselves. Gus is and has been in the driver's seat for a while now. He has a contract that guarantees him to be set for the future, has made more than enough money to neveeeeeeeer need to coach power 5 again, and can pursue any avenue he sees fit because he is one of the few coaches that can walk into a college office and (undeservedly) say that he beat Bama multiple times.

Even if he decides that he wants to go and be an SEC Network contributor, he has won.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Lets not kid ourselves. Gus is and has been in the driver's seat for a while now. He has a contract that guarantees him to be set for the future, has made more than enough money to neveeeeeeeer need to coach power 5 again, and can pursue any avenue he sees fit because he is one of the few coaches that can walk into a college office and (undeservedly) say that he beat Bama multiple times.

Even if he decides that he wants to go and be an SEC Network contributor, he has won.

Yep! Honestly the only way you can slightly hurt Gus imo is firing him when he least expects and never looking back because he is an egomaniac. But in terms of money, he is all the way good. 

13 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Uhm ... Sexton didn’t get to be successful as he is by being stupid.  Unfortunately, negotiators on AU’s side were SUPREMELY stupid at that time.  I believe the contract stated 75% of the $49 M total was guaranteed so, any leverage is certainly not with AU.  

Just now, DAG said:

Yep! Honestly the only way you can slightly hurt Gus imo is firing him when he least expects and never looking back because he is an egomaniac. But in terms of money, he is all the way good. 

And to make this clear to people, its not about "Hurting Gus" as that's not the goal, its just that there is no leverage to put on him to make him improve his act by relinquishing control or exploring a different avenue of roster management or personnel deployments. 

1 minute ago, AUloggerhead said:

I believe the contract stated 75% of the $49 M total was guaranteed so, any leverage is certainly not with AU.  

You are 100% correct!

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And to make this clear to people, its not about "Hurting Gus" as that's not the goal, its just that there is no leverage to put on him to make him improve his act by relinquishing control or exploring a different avenue of roster management or personnel deployments. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Greene calls Gus in to discuss the trajectory of the football team, and to see if Gus even tries to defend the product he's built. 

Who's the Boss in those meetings and who calls the shots and lays down the expectations?  

If they keep that 7 million a year high school coach, then that lets the football world that the Auburn Family loves being just mediocre.

Archived