Waiting Out the Contract

Zeek

9 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

How does the roster set up very well? 

Our WR positions aren't going to improve more than this year? Running back still needs an offensive line as we saw again on Saturday. There will be experience but it's still the same offense we've seen outside of the first two games. 

Look for a drop off next year. IMO. 

Go back through boards. Tons of AU fans have circled 2021. We knew OL was going to be new and garbage this year. With that said, they have gotten better throughout the season. That is clear. So they should be better next year. That would get them up to the average bubble of OLs. 

WR should still be a good position. We will lose Seth, but honestly...I wont cry. His attitude and taking plays off has hurt us. It will still be a loss though. We could lose Flash and we more than likely lose Stove. WR is a position we have recruited very well though. Capers, Hudson, Canion, etc. We have some good prospects there. 

RB room should be legit one of the best with Tank, Armoni, MAR, Worm, and DJ if they all stay.

QB will be Bo's 3rd year in the system.

TE- we have a heap of them. Could return every one of them.

Let's look at Defense

DL- Should have everybody back. Maybe Truesdell or Newkirk try to get on a squad but honestly I don't see it. Maybe...very slim maybe...Big KAt? Everybody else should be here and be better. Wooden is a star in the making. 

LB- Britt is a big loss. Zacoby could very well go pro, but prior to the season nobody thought he would have the stats like he has this year. He is an iffy one. We will have Pappoe, and all the young guys back. I think McClain stays. Also maybe Wooten comes back. LB should be ok.

S- There is a chance both guys could try to leave early, but I honestly think at least one stays. Probably Smoke. I think Sherwood has better pro potential. I think they would both benefit by coming back so for now...let's say we keep them. Also we have recruited pretty well there.

NB- Tutt and Tennison. Hopefully reversed. I think Tennison could beat Tutt out and maybe Tutt becomes a role player. 

CB- McCreary will probably leave. I have a feeling he leaves. We get back Pritchett, Domio, Simpson, plus have some young guys. 

I myself think the roster lines up better for next year than i do this year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait out the contract and the next coach is going to inherit a Sun Belt level roster. Hopefully someone at AU cares enough to keep this from happening but I'm not hopeful.

OP, I agree with a lot of your posts and think you're a pretty rational dude. I could totally see it playing out like that.

I would like to add that the meltdown season could very well be THIS season. They are going to lose on Saturday and quite possibly not show up for MSU and get embarrassed by the pirate himself. They looks so apathetic yesterday. They KNEW they were about to get their asses handed to them and didn't care imo. History shows us that Bo will probably not make great strides going into 21. Even with Chad Morris (who says some mid major doesn't hire him this off-season anyway?). The OL could develop better under Bicknell, but they're still way less talented than their counter parts at Bama, UGA and UF. The defense has regressed this season under Steele. I know they're banged up but still, that was AWFUL secondary play yesterday. I mean Owen Pappoe was supposed to be THE guy and he's getting pushed around out there.

I just refuse the fall for this ever again. Auburn may very well go 9-3 with Gus next year but those 3 losses will be when it MATTERS MOST (UGA, Alabama, some let down against a gimme opponent).

South Carolina and even Vanderbilt are making moves to improve. I'm starting to really believe the buyout is a moot point this far in the game. There's a very good possibility that Tennessee may be looking for a coach soon as well. I can't see this admin (even for Auburn's standards) wait around and fall even more into mediocrity for the foreseeable future. If we have full stadiums next year, Auburn's won't be at this point. They are going to lose money just in opportunity cost by keeping Gus as this has been mentioned several times on here.

Next year is the make or break year.  Anything short of 10 wins/CFP/NY6 and I think the check gets signed.  Auburn is going to need a season like that to save recruiting and have any hope for the next 4 years.

54 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If Auburn don't get rid of Gus now, some jerk will give a 5 year extension to his contract and a lot  more $. Please make move while we can.

I agree--move him out now. Did I read correctly that his buyout drops by about 5 million on December 1? I just don't think Auburn can afford to keep him longer, and I don't mean financially. I'm referring to the morale of the fan-base, such as alums, students, fans, and maybe even some if not a lot of the players. Its time for Auburn and Gus to part ways. 

If everything is setting up nicely for next season, then the time to fire him is now! Bowden got us an undefeated season his first year with Dye’s players, Chizik got us a national championship his second year with mostly Tuberville’s players, and Gus got us to the national championship game his first year with Chizik’s players. We’d be crazy not to fire him this year!! 😂 😂😂

25 minutes ago, woodford said:

OP, I agree with a lot of your posts and think you're a pretty rational dude. I could totally see it playing out like that.

I would like to add that the meltdown season could very well be THIS season. They are going to lose on Saturday and quite possibly not show up for MSU and get embarrassed by the pirate himself. They looks so apathetic yesterday. They KNEW they were about to get their asses handed to them and didn't care imo. History shows us that Bo will probably not make great strides going into 21. Even with Chad Morris (who says some mid major doesn't hire him this off-season anyway?). The OL could develop better under Bicknell, but they're still way less talented than their counter parts at Bama, UGA and UF. The defense has regressed this season under Steele. I know they're banged up but still, that was AWFUL secondary play yesterday. I mean Owen Pappoe was supposed to be THE guy and he's getting pushed around out there.

I just refuse the fall for this ever again. Auburn may very well go 9-3 with Gus next year but those 3 losses will be when it MATTERS MOST (UGA, Alabama, some let down against a gimme opponent).

South Carolina and even Vanderbilt are making moves to improve. I'm starting to really believe the buyout is a moot point this far in the game. There's a very good possibility that Tennessee may be looking for a coach soon as well. I can't see this admin (even for Auburn's standards) wait around and fall even more into mediocrity for the foreseeable future. If we have full stadiums next year, Auburn's won't be at this point. They are going to lose money just in opportunity cost by keeping Gus as this has been mentioned several times on here.

I believe there is a good chance Herman gets fired from Texas, and they will have first pick of a new coach.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Well, there would still be two more years left on the contract, but only $10.5 M left. So, 2022 (especially being an even year and thus meaning sure losses to UAT and UGA as long as Gus is here) is really the sweet spot to do the deed.

I would much rather a new coach take the 2021 roster and start building momentum for his program instead of Gus having a mildly successful 2021 and then tanking in 2022.  That’s 2 more years of getting owned on the recruiting trail, and 2 more years of backward momentum.  That will make things that much more difficult for the new guy.   But knowing Auburn like I do, I am confident we do nothing until Dec. 2022.  

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m actually looking for Gus to start the trial balloon floating at the end of this season to gauge interest.  Let’s see how AD Green handles that.

don't hold your breath but I (hope) so.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Our most realistic scenario at this point is waiting out Gus's contract.

I've been one of the biggest "fire him now" guys and I posted on here weeks before his extension that I hoped we wouldn't have a knee jerk reaction if he somehow managed to beat the Turds and Mutts. Then we did exactly that and gave him an unthinkable 7 year deal. The amount of money didn't surprise me but 7 years is ludicrous in college football.

Anyways, here's a look at the future in my crystal ball:

2021-22 season

Gus will be back next year plain and simple. Optics, money, covid, and a "meh" performance that just wasn't quite horrendous enough to get the boot. Love it, hate it, it's the cold hard truth.

Next year virtually everyone returns or maybe it's better to say should return barring transfers. Seth Williams likely takes his talents to the pros. No one on defense with the exception of maybe McCreary could leave early with their performance. we lose KJ Britt but we didn't really have him this year anyways. Big Kat Bryant may hang up his cleats or hope his measurables will out shine his lack of production. Maybe Schwartz goes to the combine and makes some speed loving GM nut his pants at the combine.

We have a few recruits I think will make a decent impact. DT Lee Hunter will be an upgrade on the interior and push for starting reps early. Armoni Goodwin though only 5'8" brings some depth to the running backs where we'll probably see at least one transfer (historically true). Ahari Harvey is a 4* Safety and man our DBs showed yesterday they need the help. Marquis Robinson is another 4* DT that should play early. Jaeden Roberts is a 4* OG but we don't have any amazing talent coming in at the OT position. We currently have a whopping ZERO offensive tackles signed... yay!

Overall this team should have a decent Gus year. Likely 9-3 with a bowl game loss to secure our 4 loss streak. Bama and UGA are at home so maybe we split or sweep that. Barring a miracle turn around we might have a chance in Baton Rouge next year too. We're lucky Penn State will be massively rebuilding, Akron/Georgia State/Alabama State are bought wins, and we should at the least split the Mississippi schools at home. Revenge trip to South Carolina with a new coach as well.

2022-23 season

Bo will be a senior. I doubt he leaves beforehand. DDavis could unseat him (not happening under Gus) and if he does that means we're incredibly well set at QB. Tank will still be here (have to be 3 years out of high school to enter NFL). Hudson/Capers and other current freshman receivers should be coming into their own hopefully. If the OL is serviceable we should be looking decent again. Mercer/San Jose/WKU are bought wins (3-0). Who knows with Penn State let's say we lose at home (3-1). On the road against Bama and UGA (3-3). Between LSU/Mizzou/Arkansas we win two of those (5-4). Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss State we should win 2 of those (7-5). Easy bowl game win for (8-5).

2023-24 season

Tank gone. Bo gone. Last year of the contract. Auburn is ready to move on. Perfect combination for a s*** show season. Regardless, even if Gus manages a 8 win season we'll be ready to move on and hopefully have drastically improved the facilities for the next guy to hit the ground running.

It sucks but barring a meltdown season I think we save the money from the buyout making it easier to pay a new guy big to come in and take the team. Use the money on making our facilities the best (or close) and hope that helps with an uptick in recruiting.

2022 will be Malzahns' last year.  The Defense will be rebuilding and Gus will lose all five starters and a few backups on the o-line.  I do believe Gus is trying to rebuild the o-line as quickly as possible but to have an SEC ready o-line by 2022 isn't possible.  Gus has a solid 9-4 season next year and makes promises ha can't keep.  2022 looks like 2018.  Gus is fired with one season remaining on his contract.  Meanwhile Auburns power brokers spent 2020-2022 deciding on Auburns next coach.  Hopefully they don't screw it up.

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

2022 will be Malzahns' last year.  The Defense will be rebuilding and Gus will lose all five starters and a few backups on the o-line.  I do believe Gus is trying to rebuild the o-line as quickly as possible but to have an SEC ready o-line by 2022 isn't possible.  Gus has a solid 9-4 season next year and makes promises ha can't keep.  2022 looks like 2018.  Gus is fired with one season remaining on his contract.  Meanwhile Auburns power brokers spent 2020-2022 deciding on Auburns next coach.  Hopefully they don't screw it up.

Yep, this reliance on JUCO linemen is simply not sustainable because it gives us a brand new (and under talented by SEC standards) O-line every even year.

Gus had five high school linemen committed last year then two flipped and that really hurt.  Gus had four committed do far this year.  One has flipped to UT the other Notre Dame.  Rebuilding the o-line is apparently an impossible Task for Gus. He will probably be forced to go heavy on JUCO for the 2022 recruiting class and at best get 2020 results during play.

3 hours ago, metafour said:

This is the dumbest idea ever.

When was the last time a major program just let a coach's contract expire? The reason why it never happens is because of the obvious: doing that would be a program killer. You can't endure that many consecutive years of open ineptitude. The fanbase won't endure it. The recruits won't endure it. Worse yet, you are signalling to the entire world that winning isn't a priority at Auburn anymore. Momentum and perception is what drives this sport; your idea is to openly throw all of that in the garbage...so that you can save a few dollars of what isn't even your own money? What is the upside of your grand scheme here? You want to endure another 4 years of every HS coach in the region lowering us to a bottom tier SEC school? Really? 

No, they cant - and won't - let his contract just run out. 

Good ole Metafour always so kind and respectful.

Trust me man I've wanted him out for years now but there's no indicator it's going to happen.

Do you think he's fired at the end of this season Meta? Because if not it's likely next year is a 9+ win season.

Based off how we've been going that's enough to buy him another year unfortunately.

What I'm saying is if they won't get rid of him at least invest into facilities. It's not my scheme or plan it's what I see happening unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

We will not let the contract run out. 

I hope to everything that's true. Would love for him to be gone tomorrow but I just don't see it.

The 2021 version of the AU OL will be an exact copy of the 2019 OL! There will be 5 returning OL that is grossly lacking in talent and strength compared to our rivals. They will play slightly better as a unit but will still lack championship quality talent!

I don't expect the QB position to improve either unless Gus is willing to bench Nix (which he should have many times in 2020) to get the point across he can be replaced, fundamentals matter and AU will not tolerate every ball being thrown off his back foot. The season is lost and the perfect time get other QB's experience and drive the point home with Nix.

S. Williams is the only player I expect to leave early and it will be a BIG mistake on his part, not first day pick. Seth can be as good a WR as he wants catching the ball but COMPLETELY loafs, doesn't give any effort to block and is zero asset if he isn't getting thrown the ball. I expect AU to be more of a power running team in 2021,Seth would do nothing more than hurt the team.

GUS more or less lost this seasons team during the S. Carolina game by allowing Nix to basically lose the game by himself and not replace or sit him after the INT's. You could see the demoralizing disgust on the players faces and their body language. Gus is about to have the worst finish/collapse of a recruiting class (struggle to have top 20 class) I've ever seen at AU. Another year and another round of being completely out recruited at the OL position by the top 4 or 5 SEC rivals. AU needed highly ranked stud OT's BAD another year and this has been a complete bust! If Gus isn't fired this season he will be a lame duck coach and AU's next coach will need several years of recruiting to over come back to back subpar most likely out of the top 20 or worse. This class has been lost and our recruiting goals won't be met. S. Carolina coach has basically the same buyout as Gus and they made the move, grant it looks like they are about to make another poor hire.

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Go back through boards. Tons of AU fans have circled 2021. We knew OL was going to be new and garbage this year. With that said, they have gotten better throughout the season. That is clear. So they should be better next year. That would get them up to the average bubble of OLs. 

WR should still be a good position. We will lose Seth, but honestly...I wont cry. His attitude and taking plays off has hurt us. It will still be a loss though. We could lose Flash and we more than likely lose Stove. WR is a position we have recruited very well though. Capers, Hudson, Canion, etc. We have some good prospects there. 

RB room should be legit one of the best with Tank, Armoni, MAR, Worm, and DJ if they all stay.

QB will be Bo's 3rd year in the system.

TE- we have a heap of them. Could return every one of them.

Let's look at Defense

DL- Should have everybody back. Maybe Truesdell or Newkirk try to get on a squad but honestly I don't see it. Maybe...very slim maybe...Big KAt? Everybody else should be here and be better. Wooden is a star in the making. 

LB- Britt is a big loss. Zacoby could very well go pro, but prior to the season nobody thought he would have the stats like he has this year. He is an iffy one. We will have Pappoe, and all the young guys back. I think McClain stays. Also maybe Wooten comes back. LB should be ok.

S- There is a chance both guys could try to leave early, but I honestly think at least one stays. Probably Smoke. I think Sherwood has better pro potential. I think they would both benefit by coming back so for now...let's say we keep them. Also we have recruited pretty well there.

NB- Tutt and Tennison. Hopefully reversed. I think Tennison could beat Tutt out and maybe Tutt becomes a role player. 

CB- McCreary will probably leave. I have a feeling he leaves. We get back Pritchett, Domio, Simpson, plus have some young guys. 

I myself think the roster lines up better for next year than i do this year.

I want some of what you're drinking.  Gus will still be the Head Coach, and he has quit on this team as the UGA and bammer games show. It will be the same crap next year.

You dream, mate.

6 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You’re right!  But the image in my mind of Gus knocking on Allen’s door and explaining how giving him an extension is in the best interest of the University is hilarious!

Agree. Would love to be a fly on that wall. I am guessing he will have sexton do his dirty work as he doesn’t have the guts. 

7 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Next year will be Gus's last unless he miraculously wins the division and actually puts a competent product out there against Georgia and Alabama. 

While that's a possibility, it's not much of a probability.

The problem with waiting out the contract is that the new coach will have a major rebuilding project on hand.  The current state of recruiting should be indicative of future recruiting under Gus and to give him 3 or 4 more years of recruiting will significantly drop our talent level to nil.  Now you have the problem of having to give the coach a longer term contract and a chance of being right back in the same boat we are now in.

9 hours ago, 1716AU said:

I want some of what you're drinking.  Gus will still be the Head Coach, and he has quit on this team as the UGA and bammer games show. It will be the same crap next year.

You dream, mate.

You obviously didn't read this thread. I do not think anything will ever be any different under Gus. I was simply stating why many believe the roster set up the best for next season. I was also looking for answers to a hypothetical horrific situation. Re read my friend.

Archived