when will the indies ever be relevant?

aubiefifty

i get the need for a third party but they need a really strong candidate and all i have seen are mostly crazies which hurts whatever they might bring to the table. so what needs to happen?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i get the need for a third party but they need a really strong candidate and all i have seen are mostly crazies which hurts whatever they might bring to the table. so what needs to happen?

Our system won't support a third party. It will always coalesce around two dominant ones should one gain traction. It will simply displace one of the existing ones. 

A third party will happen one day. The indies are not irrelevant. They sway the election almost every year. No party in America today is more than 35-40% and losing supporters.  

On 11/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, DKW 86 said:

A third party will happen one day. The indies are not irrelevant. They sway the election almost every year. No party in America today is more than 35-40% and losing supporters.  

It won't. Eventually you'll have nu-dems or nu-repubs.

This is the system we have.

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It won't. Eventually you'll have nu-dems or nu-repubs.

This is the system we have.

I might have to check out this nudems party. Actually think I am at the moment. 

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I might have to check out this nudems party. Actually think I am at the moment. 

It won't matter. Same thing with a different label eventually. 

On 11/26/2020 at 10:02 AM, aubiefifty said:

Truthfully, I think our system is simply designed to entrench two sides and no more.  To get to a viable third party it would take a fundamental restructuring of how we do elections.  Things like ranked choice would need to become the norm.  We'd have to move toward a parliamentary model for Congress.  The end result would be not just third party but probably a half dozen parties getting votes and then forming coalitions.

It's just not realistic that any of these things would happen.

Archived