Isaac Okoro Draft Party Thread (5th Pick to the Cavs)

aubearcat

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Love Isaac. Bet anyone he continues to come back to AU which will be great! 

I would NOT take that bet. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to buy an offseason home in Auburn.

Hate to see him go to the Cavs. In my draft review, they were the one team I DIDN'T want to see him on the most. But whatever. I'll be cheering for him regardless.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I would NOT take that bet. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to buy an offseason home in Auburn.

Love the synergy and involvement of Sharife Cooper with him.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Love the synergy and involvement of Sharife Cooper with him.

Would have been great seeing them play together. Okoro got too good too quick!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Would have been great seeing them play together. Okoro got too good too quick!!

Oh if Sharife & JT stay at least 2 years. Imagine how good they will work off each other then add Jabari & Trey their 2nd year. & then hopefully a more developed 3 point sharp shooter in Powell.

• Like 5

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2020/11/nba-draft-another-reminder-bruce-pearl-is-building-a-powerhouse.html

NBA Draft another reminder Bruce Pearl is building a powerhouse

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

The wins don’t get any bigger for Bruce Pearl.

Auburn small forward Isaac Okoro was selected fifth overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2020 NBA Draft on Wednesday night, and the significance of that victory for Auburn basketball and Auburn University should be viewed on the same scale as the trip to the Final Four. Fanbases are built by winning games in March. Programs are built by putting players in the draft, and Auburn is doing it better than anyone in the SEC right now.

First it was Chuma Okeke in 2019, and now it’s Okoro. This is the first time Auburn has put players in the first round of consecutive NBA drafts, but get used to it. More draft-day celebrations are coming.

It’s not just about getting drafted, either. It’s about knowing what NBA teams want, and building a college program based on that ethos and philosophy. It’s not enough to be talented in the NBA. It’s the most competitive league in the world. Talent just gets you to the door. Teams want to invest in smart players who take pride in toughness and defense. That’s the Auburn way, and it has been beautiful to see it develop.

Pearl has a blueprint he can roll out on kitchen tables in the homes of recruits and show them the way up the draft board. Okeke and Okoro exceeded their expectations in their drafts because they are considered safe, reliable options. They’re glue guys. They’re grinders. You know what you’re getting every day at practice, and at every road shootaround in February and March.

After two consecutive years of draft day dunks, Pearl now has the ability to tell elite recruits he can improve their pro stock and then show them the proof.

Okoro was a big-time recruit before he arrived at Auburn, but he was not rated so highly by NBA teams before he stepped into Pearl’s practice gym and believed in what Pearl was selling. The same goes for Okeke, who improved his all-around game at Auburn to the point that he could no longer be ignored.

Okeke tore his ACL in the NCAA Tournament, and still got drafted 16th by the Orlando Magic. That’s trust, and a pretty incredible recruiting pitch. That’s also the power of Auburn basketball going into this new season, and it’s already paying enormous dividends on the other end.

On Tuesday, Auburn received a national letter of intent from Jabari Smith of Tyrone, Ga. Smith is a 6-foot-10 power forward, and rated the nation’s fifth overall prospect of his class. Starting for Auburn at point guard this season is freshman Sharife Cooper, another five-star from Georgia. Will those players be first-round picks? That’s impossible to predict, but the foundational reputations laid down by players who have come before them will certainly help guide the way.

Here’s the book on Auburn players right now: Toughness, accountability and team-first attitudes. It can’t get much better than that. Cleveland fans should be thrilled with Okoro and what he represents. He is a blue-collar worker for a tough town, and his presence on the court will help change the culture inside that organization.

I’ve come to realize over the past few years that Pearl is the most underappreciated college basketball coach of his generation. His reputation is not the shiniest when it comes to the NCAA, but the kids he’s putting in jerseys that say Auburn across the chest are leaders on campus and coveted by NBA teams for their attitudes as much as their abilities.

We’re witnessing a college basketball revolution where no thought anything like that was possible. It’s Hall of Fame stuff, and Pearl now has the cache with recruits to build a powerhouse that matches the football team.

It has to be acknowledged that sanctions by the NCAA related to the Chuck Person scandal still loom, but it hasn’t affected Pearl one bit, and the landscape in college basketball between now and when the FBI arrested Person for fraud are like night and day. Players can now hire agents after seasons, and college basketball will experience seismic changes when the NCAA allows players to profit off of their name, image and likeness.

Okoro surprised his parents with a new car after the draft, and it’s in those special moments when the impact of Auburn basketball comes into focus. The players shouldn’t have to wait until draft day to cash in, however, if they can bank on their celebrity in college.

If Auburn basketball continues on its upward trajectory, why can’t the Tigers compete with Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and all the other bluebloods for the top recruits? That’s the goal at Auburn after these last two NBA drafts, and Pearl always finds a way.

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2020/11/nba-draft-another-reminder-bruce-pearl-is-building-a-powerhouse.html

NBA Draft another reminder Bruce Pearl is building a powerhouse

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

The wins don’t get any bigger for Bruce Pearl.

Auburn small forward Isaac Okoro was selected fifth overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2020 NBA Draft on Wednesday night, and the significance of that victory for Auburn basketball and Auburn University should be viewed on the same scale as the trip to the Final Four. Fanbases are built by winning games in March. Programs are built by putting players in the draft, and Auburn is doing it better than anyone in the SEC right now.

First it was Chuma Okeke in 2019, and now it’s Okoro. This is the first time Auburn has put players in the first round of consecutive NBA drafts, but get used to it. More draft-day celebrations are coming.

It’s not just about getting drafted, either. It’s about knowing what NBA teams want, and building a college program based on that ethos and philosophy. It’s not enough to be talented in the NBA. It’s the most competitive league in the world. Talent just gets you to the door. Teams want to invest in smart players who take pride in toughness and defense. That’s the Auburn way, and it has been beautiful to see it develop.

Pearl has a blueprint he can roll out on kitchen tables in the homes of recruits and show them the way up the draft board. Okeke and Okoro exceeded their expectations in their drafts because they are considered safe, reliable options. They’re glue guys. They’re grinders. You know what you’re getting every day at practice, and at every road shootaround in February and March.

After two consecutive years of draft day dunks, Pearl now has the ability to tell elite recruits he can improve their pro stock and then show them the proof.

Okoro was a big-time recruit before he arrived at Auburn, but he was not rated so highly by NBA teams before he stepped into Pearl’s practice gym and believed in what Pearl was selling. The same goes for Okeke, who improved his all-around game at Auburn to the point that he could no longer be ignored.

Okeke tore his ACL in the NCAA Tournament, and still got drafted 16th by the Orlando Magic. That’s trust, and a pretty incredible recruiting pitch. That’s also the power of Auburn basketball going into this new season, and it’s already paying enormous dividends on the other end.

On Tuesday, Auburn received a national letter of intent from Jabari Smith of Tyrone, Ga. Smith is a 6-foot-10 power forward, and rated the nation’s fifth overall prospect of his class. Starting for Auburn at point guard this season is freshman Sharife Cooper, another five-star from Georgia. Will those players be first-round picks? That’s impossible to predict, but the foundational reputations laid down by players who have come before them will certainly help guide the way.

Here’s the book on Auburn players right now: Toughness, accountability and team-first attitudes. It can’t get much better than that. Cleveland fans should be thrilled with Okoro and what he represents. He is a blue-collar worker for a tough town, and his presence on the court will help change the culture inside that organization.

I’ve come to realize over the past few years that Pearl is the most underappreciated college basketball coach of his generation. His reputation is not the shiniest when it comes to the NCAA, but the kids he’s putting in jerseys that say Auburn across the chest are leaders on campus and coveted by NBA teams for their attitudes as much as their abilities.

We’re witnessing a college basketball revolution where no thought anything like that was possible. It’s Hall of Fame stuff, and Pearl now has the cache with recruits to build a powerhouse that matches the football team.

It has to be acknowledged that sanctions by the NCAA related to the Chuck Person scandal still loom, but it hasn’t affected Pearl one bit, and the landscape in college basketball between now and when the FBI arrested Person for fraud are like night and day. Players can now hire agents after seasons, and college basketball will experience seismic changes when the NCAA allows players to profit off of their name, image and likeness.

Okoro surprised his parents with a new car after the draft, and it’s in those special moments when the impact of Auburn basketball comes into focus. The players shouldn’t have to wait until draft day to cash in, however, if they can bank on their celebrity in college.

If Auburn basketball continues on its upward trajectory, why can’t the Tigers compete with Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke and all the other bluebloods for the top recruits? That’s the goal at Auburn after these last two NBA drafts, and Pearl always finds a way.

I don't know that we'll put a player in the draft in 2021 because of the youth of the team this season, but I suspect that next year will be the last one for a while that we don't hear an Auburn player's name called, if indeed we don't have anyone go pro after the 20-21 season. The '22 draft might well see multiple Auburn players taken in the first round.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know that we'll put a player in the draft in 2021 because of the youth of the team this season, but I suspect that next year will be the last one for a while that we don't hear an Auburn player's name called, if indeed we don't have anyone go pro after the 20-21 season. The '22 draft might well see multiple Auburn players taken in the first round.

It's certainly exciting for the program but bittersweet too not getting to see these guys for multiple seasons in O&B.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

It's certainly exciting for the program but bittersweet too not getting to see these guys for multiple seasons in O&B.

No doubt, but I'd rather be the program that gets the one-and-done players and competes for national championships every year than the team that makes a push for the NCAA Tournament only once every three or four years. It's just the nature of the beast in this sport, I'm afraid. (Not that you don't know that already, just expanding upon your point.)

• Like 2

Nice video of I.O. presenting his parents with the car he purchased them last night on ESPN website, can’t figure out how to post it. Pretty sweet though....

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Hate to see him go to the Cavs. In my draft review, they were the one team I DIDN'T want to see him on the most. But whatever. I'll be cheering for him regardless.

absolutely horrid for him in terms of getting better in his weaknesses, learning about winning or just for about anything you'd want for a young player

he'll definitely get minutes and a fair shot to show that the concerns about him being an alpha on offense aren't warranted. thats about it 

9 hours ago, fredst said:

Nice video of I.O. presenting his parents with the car he purchased them last night on ESPN website, can’t figure out how to post it. Pretty sweet though....

Near the bottom of previous page here...

On 11/18/2020 at 10:36 PM, WFE12 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1