The strange “reality” of Trump World

TexasTiger

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

For even more context, when George W. Bush ran for re-election, he gained 11.6 million new voters.

More importantly to his running for re-election, he actually won— a lot like Obama.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

More importantly to his running for re-election, he actually won— a lot like Obama.

Touche'

The Absorbing Hollywood Trick Trump Uses to Hook America

Like an out-of-control director who has lost the plot, he just keeps adding crazy scenes.

Governing the nation as President Mind-bender, Trump has struck practically every beat the genre demands, threatening war with North Korea, helping the Saudis cover up the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, threatening to wage war on protesters, claiming the right to pardon himself and more. Not even The Matrix possessed such berserk plot twists. On election night, he flexed his mind-bending muscles by declaring victory when he was clearly behind in the Electoral College. “If you count the legal votes, I easily win,” Trump then said on Nov. 5. Since then, he’s confounded the audience by both demanding recounts where he’s behind and calling for the votes to be frozen where he’s ahead. Ordinarily a publicity hog, he has cloaked himself in mystery by retreating to his White House spider hole. He’s staged almost no public appearances since election night aside from attending a memorial service on Veterans’ Day at Arlington National Cemetery—at which he gave no remarks. On Twitter, Trump, his family and his staff have continued to keep the nation off-balance by promoting preposterous conspiracy theories about ballot-burning, dead-people votes, poll-watcher abuse and widespread voter fraud. The Washington Post reports that Trump’s idea of voter fraud in Michigan boils down to loud noises, mean stares from union officials and a big man who followed a poll-watcher too close for her comfort. Trump is now proclaiming against all the evidence that he’s got Arizona in the bag, and he continues to push the ridiculous plot point of the Democrats attempting to steal the presidency, without explaining how the Dems could have gone to all the bother of breaking into the polling infrastructure but then left the Senate races unmolested.

The paranoiac jumble that is the Trump presidency captivates both Trump’s fans and foes. He has seized the idea that nobody in power can be trusted—core to such mind-bending classics as The X-Files, Conspiracy Theory, JFK and Invasion of the Body Snatchers—and forged it into his governance template with one exception: Only he can be trusted. His fans delight in the way he bends reality to taunt the elites and tortures the press and they not only forgive him the confusion wrought by his policy inconsistencies and lapses in reason, they embrace the madness. Trump’s foes and critics, who underestimated him from day one—remember in 2015 when the Washington Post’s Dan Balz asked if Trump’s rude treatment of John McCain might not be his “Waterloo“?—have been sucked into Trumpworld as completely as his admirers. What draws them? For many, there’s no desire to watch—they pay attention to Trump because they can’t afford not to know what he’s doing. And because he uncorks a new storyline nearly every day, Trump places the electorate in the position A Clockwork Orange placed the droogie, Alex, unable to look away.

Last Saturday morning, when the networks projected Joe Biden as the likely winner, anti-Trumpies of my acquaintance expressed their relief at his apparent defeat. “Oh, god, this is finally the end of him,” one told me. But then Trump interjected his fictions to extend his performance to at least Dec. 15, when the Electoral College votes. But who is to say that Trump will abide by that convention? Anybody who has watched his career closely should expect the revelation of another plot twist. Will he mobilize the QAnon cult and conspiracy, which just sent at least one adherent to the House of Representatives? Even if Biden succeeds at dislodging Trump from the White House, which seems likely, be prepared for these two altered states of political consciousness to blur and merge into several new seasons of mind-bending mayhem and even a few spinoffs. Like a ride on a Möbius strip, the streaming series Trump started in 2015 may never end.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/12/trump-refuses-to-say-cut-on-his-presidential-movie-436379

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's really a shame you procreated. <_<

I figured you would have more of a rebuttal than this Donald. One day you might see that you have been bamboozled by the very people you idolize. Figured someone that likes to portray themselves as so intelligent would see through the fake veneer of politicians. Or is it the fact that you know that if you don't fall in line with the rest of your cult you will be tossed aside like yesterday's trash and you will feel the hate and intolerance of others like you and other gullible folks on this board like to spew? Keep pushing ideas that look all great and shiny on the surface to make yourself feel better. 

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I figured you would have more of a rebuttal than this Donald. One day you might see that you have been bamboozled by the very people you idolize. Figured someone that likes to portray themselves as so intelligent would see through the fake veneer of politicians. Or is it the fact that you know that if you don't fall in line with the rest of your cult you will be tossed aside like yesterday's trash and you will feel the hate and intolerance of others like you and other gullible folks on this board like to spew? Keep pushing ideas that look all great and shiny on the surface to make yourself feel better. 

Actually, it was a direct (emotional) response to your  ad hominem attack - you said you were thankful "I didn't "procreate".  :-\

Now,  if you are willing to step back and discuss this without the poo-flinging, I am game:

I'm convinced one of the existential problems with our democracy is wealth/income disparity.  

Having said that, I have many reservations about simple solutions - such as subsidizing trade/school tuition.  This is because simple solutions never address the real problem effectively.

For example:  How is "free" tuition to a trade school/community college really going to help people in inner-city ghettos if they don't have the basic preparation or infrastructure - such as transportation - to even get to a community college???

This sort of simple solution smacks of just another government benefit to those who can use it, but don't really need it. (People making $124, 999 in your case).  It doesn't address most of the people we really need to focus on. 

I would prefer such remedies/aid to be addressed at the local level- perhaps by qualified federal subsidies/grants - which would allow local jurisdictions to apply resources according to specific needs.  Even better, such "remedies" would involve more generalized aid in the form of local development subsidies/tax breaks.

Regardless, the reducing income/wealth disparity in our society is crucial to preserving our democracy. 

There are scientifically-based historical analysis's that strongly suggest the trend we are currently on regarding the disparity of wealth will result in the ultimate decline/failure of our society.

I am not sure of exactly how to address it, but address it we must. 

Archived