What just happened??

SaturdayGT

It’s one of those deals where the only thing you can do is enjoy it when it happens.  They will come out at some point in the future and look completely unprepared.  It’s the Gus modus operandi like the bowl games against Purdue and Minnesota (or UCF).  When they get it rolling they look like world beaters.  Then all the good feelings go away will go away sometime soon.  You never know when either extreme is coming and that is the frustrating thing.  Auburn looks like crap and loses to South Carolina.  LSU murders South Carolina.  Auburn murders LSU.  Same old, same old.  I’ve come to expect it.  

Play calls were logical. When it was 3rd and short, we either ran it or threw a short, easily completable pass. You didn't see single receiver deep passes on those plays. We made the run/pass mix unpredictable. Most importantly, we did t focus solely on Seth. Seth, Stove, Schwartz, Capers, Pegues, Worm, all had completions.  We finally had balance across the board and by doing so, we made it look easy.

This- purposefully involving Shivers and Stove forces the defense to decide who to cover. Its what everyone has been saying from day 1. And it makes zero sense why we havent done it from day one. Im more happy about the defense making plays- d-line got to qb, we made open field tackles, and stopped the run. 

Much much better play calling with a QB that played his best game and a wonderful defensive performance against a lousy team. 
That is the way you are supposed to be a bad team. We took out the starters at the beginning of the fourth quarter. We could have named the score. That is the worst beat down in the history of the series. 

This team is improving at the season progresses. Chad is learning what we can and can’t do well. He is calling games that put our QB in a great position to be successful. Our defense is getting healthier. We do need our interior defensive lineman to get healthier. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Play calls were logical. When it was 3rd and short, we either ran it or threw a short, easily completable pass. You didn't see single receiver deep passes on those plays. We made the run/pass mix unpredictable. Most importantly, we did t focus solely on Seth. Seth, Stove, Schwartz, Capers, Pegues, Worm, all had completions.  We finally had balance across the board and by doing so, we made it look easy.

Good Gus is Beyond Fun.  Good Gus should be rewarded with a lifetime position. It’s the Gus that trots out to all-too-regular, 200-yard turds against inferior competition that leaves us bewildered.  But we have been in the National Conversation, and have changed the playoffs, more than any other team, by far.  Overall, I’ll take it. My family is die-hard FSU.  They have all the bad, and absolutely none of the good.  As it is, we are all happy today. And there will be another turd this season followed by another glorious win. It’s what we are, its what we got. Those that accept this are in a better mental place. Like my hair loss, I have accepted it. And again, the big wins, and there have been plenty, are truly glorious. 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

This team is improving at the season progresses. Chad is learning what we can and can’t do well. He is calling games that put our QB in a great position to be successful.

Which was to be expected, considering all the circumstances surrounding this season.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Which was to be expected, considering all the circumstances surrounding this season.

Our roster is set up to make a serious run next season no meter who the head coach is. 

If we could play LSUs Def weekly we be fine. Miss St put up 44 on them week 1 and scored 37 in 4 games since. Zero against bammer and Kentucky.

6 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Our roster is set up to make a serious run next season no meter who the head coach is. 

Gus is going to be the head coach next year, like it or not, unless there's a cataclysmic collapse and we don't win another one this season. I could have seen it if we lost to a bad LSU team at home and didn't rebound, but after delivering a historic beatdown to our third biggest rival, Malzahn pretty well cemented his place for at least another year.

That said, I don't know exactly how much the roster is set up for that, because both Seth and Schwartz could go pro from the offense, and probably Monday, Sherwood, and McCreary might end up going from the defense. If they all come back, then absolutely. If a lot of them don't, then we'll take a hit. Heard great things about the young receivers, and we're deep in the secondary, but still.

Better qb play. Improved offensive line play.  It always makes the game plan look good. It's all about execution and this offense is hard to stop when operating like yesterday.  If it can become consistent, especially on the road, it will be fun for the rest of the year... War Eagle 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

both Seth and Schwartz could go pro from the offense, and probably Monday, Sherwood, and McCreary might end up going from the defense.

I just felt my heart stop for a second when I first read this. With today's Opt Out option and Transfer Portal, I read this as Sherwood and Mccreary might be gone from the defense on Monday.  :-\

One thing I liked was the Pegues involvement. I think it was very smartly done, not only having him come across as a blocker but letting him run routes on that motion. On one of his catches the defender literally seized up thinking it was about to be a big block and Pegues just ran right past him to the flat. Thought using that concept was great.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

One thing I liked was the Pegues involvement. I think it was very smartly done, not only having him come across as a blocker but letting him run routes on that motion. On one of his catches the defender literally seized up thinking it was about to be a big block and Pegues just ran right past him to the flat. Thought using that concept was great.

If he gets into the secondary, they'll have to make a business decision whether or not they'd like to try and bring him down. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

If he gets into the secondary, they'll have to make a business decision whether or not they'd like to try and bring him down. 

He’s just too athletic and physically imposing to keep on the sideline. Since we’ve involved him more in the offense it feels like our run blocking has gotten better.

6 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I agree, the talent is there, but not sure the coach is.

What happened was, you know those 2 months of prep that are called Spring practice and the full menu of pre seaon workouts that new OC's and their players need?

That 2 months just ended. 

Used Bo Nix as a game manager, instead of making him the game plan, and leaned on the run game more. I like what I’m seeing with the run blocking. This years young oline is getting more push then the 5th year seniors of last year. Pass blocking will need improving.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Those 3 WR bunch formations we've started using on 3rd down have been creating some surprisingly easy throws for Bo the last two weeks.  It's nice to see.

Archived