Jason Campbell offers advice to Bo

aubiefifty

al.com

Jason Campbell offers advice to Bo Nix, calls it ‘critical time’ for Auburn quarterback

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

Football: Auburn vs South Carolina

Oct 3, 2020; Columbia, SC, USA; Bo Nix (10) directing blocking while running for the first down during the game between Auburn and South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Jason Campbell can relate to Bo Nix perhaps better than most.

Campbell, now with the Auburn Sports Network, not only played quarterback at Auburn, eventually leading the Tigers to an undefeated 2004 season, he also had to overcome some growing pains in the process.

Which, of course, brings us back to Nix. The Auburn quarterback’s play has been dissected since the Tigers' fell to South Carolina 30-22. In that game, Nix threw three interceptions, was flagged for an ill-timed intentional grounding and was tackled well short of a first down on a last-second, fourth-down play.

Campbell, who had a different coordinator every year he was at Auburn, offered some advice to the second-year quarterback.

“You don’t have to make every play,” Campbell told me during a Wednesday appearance on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5. “Understand the game is played in situations. At the end of the game, it can be a chess match. They know if they can face you into taking those chances, then they win.”

In other words, Nix is pressing.

“In high school, he was a man amongst boys,” Campbell said. “He could outrun a lot of people, get outside the pocket and thrown on the run.”

Auburn v South Carolina

Campbell isn’t wrong. At Pinson Valley, Nix threw for 10,393 yards and 127 passing touchdowns. He rushed for 2,112 yards and 34 touchdowns. “He brought that same element to Auburn where he feels like he has to make every play,” Campbell explained.

Now, Campbell added, opponents are putting more pressure on Nix, so he must rely on his teammates and understand situational football.

“Bo needs to channel himself,” Campbell said. "This is a time right now that’s very critical for him to hold himself accountable, take a step back and breathe.

“You are seeing a lot of new things from (offensive coordinator) Chad Morris and having a full spring. That’s where you go through these situational drills. You are seeing the effects of it now. Chad’s still trying to figure out Bo’s tendencies. He flushed out of the pocket too early sometimes. That’s where he feels most comfortable.”

Campbell compares what we saw late in the South Carolina game to what we saw in the season-opening win last year against Oregon. In the second half of that game, however, Nix “let the game come to him. He played within the system.”

The season is far from over, and Campbell expects the offense to lean Tank Bigsby, who reminds him of former running back and current assistant coach Carnell Williams.

The disagreement Nix had with receiver Seth Williams on Saturday, Campbell said, was part of the maturation process.

“They aren’t at the place they thought they would be,” Campbell said. "I think you are seeing a lot of frustration pouring out. You are seeing a learning curve for him. This is something he’s got to learn how to channel his emotions. At the end of the day, those guys feed off your energy. If you are looking frustrated, then they are going to be frustrated.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:
al.com

Jason Campbell offers advice to Bo Nix, calls it ‘critical time’ for Auburn quarterback

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

Football: Auburn vs South Carolina

Oct 3, 2020; Columbia, SC, USA; Bo Nix (10) directing blocking while running for the first down during the game between Auburn and South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Jason Campbell can relate to Bo Nix perhaps better than most.

Campbell, now with the Auburn Sports Network, not only played quarterback at Auburn, eventually leading the Tigers to an undefeated 2004 season, he also had to overcome some growing pains in the process.

Which, of course, brings us back to Nix. The Auburn quarterback’s play has been dissected since the Tigers' fell to South Carolina 30-22. In that game, Nix threw three interceptions, was flagged for an ill-timed intentional grounding and was tackled well short of a first down on a last-second, fourth-down play.

Campbell, who had a different coordinator every year he was at Auburn, offered some advice to the second-year quarterback.

“You don’t have to make every play,” Campbell told me during a Wednesday appearance on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5. “Understand the game is played in situations. At the end of the game, it can be a chess match. They know if they can face you into taking those chances, then they win.”

In other words, Nix is pressing.

“In high school, he was a man amongst boys,” Campbell said. “He could outrun a lot of people, get outside the pocket and thrown on the run.”

Auburn v South Carolina

Campbell isn’t wrong. At Pinson Valley, Nix threw for 10,393 yards and 127 passing touchdowns. He rushed for 2,112 yards and 34 touchdowns. “He brought that same element to Auburn where he feels like he has to make every play,” Campbell explained.

Now, Campbell added, opponents are putting more pressure on Nix, so he must rely on his teammates and understand situational football.

“Bo needs to channel himself,” Campbell said. "This is a time right now that’s very critical for him to hold himself accountable, take a step back and breathe.

“You are seeing a lot of new things from (offensive coordinator) Chad Morris and having a full spring. That’s where you go through these situational drills. You are seeing the effects of it now. Chad’s still trying to figure out Bo’s tendencies. He flushed out of the pocket too early sometimes. That’s where he feels most comfortable.”

Campbell compares what we saw late in the South Carolina game to what we saw in the season-opening win last year against Oregon. In the second half of that game, however, Nix “let the game come to him. He played within the system.”

The season is far from over, and Campbell expects the offense to lean Tank Bigsby, who reminds him of former running back and current assistant coach Carnell Williams.

The disagreement Nix had with receiver Seth Williams on Saturday, Campbell said, was part of the maturation process.

“They aren’t at the place they thought they would be,” Campbell said. "I think you are seeing a lot of frustration pouring out. You are seeing a learning curve for him. This is something he’s got to learn how to channel his emotions. At the end of the day, those guys feed off your energy. If you are looking frustrated, then they are going to be frustrated.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

This was the same JC who a couple of posters were saying had less emotional leadership than Bo Nix?! Why would Nix listen to him? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This was the same JC who a couple of posters were saying had less emotional leadership than Bo Nix?! Why would Nix listen to him? 

i have no idea bro i just post articles so you guys have different things to discuss. i just try to give back to the board. i loved jason. but as far as emotion people forget reggie slack had the emotion of a corpse but i always thought he was pretty good.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have no idea bro i just post articles so you guys have different things to discuss. i just try to give back to the board. i loved jason. but as far as emotion people forget reggie slack had the emotion of a corpse but i always thought he was pretty good.

Pretty sure DAG was being sarcastic. 

Whether it's what DAG was getting at or not, it's my opinion that a lot has been made about Bo's leadership based on assumptions. I've made those assumptions myself based on what I heard from the recruiting/camp circuit. He was this big time dude that other players liked and wanted to play with. He had swag.

Well, he's got passion. Beyond that... well... fingers crossed JC can sprinkle a little chill on his chi. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right.. the coaches should listen to JC though.. sounds as though this man knows something about development. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty sure DAG was being sarcastic. 

Whether it's what DAG was getting at or not, it's my opinion that a lot has been made about Bo's leadership based on assumptions. I've made those assumptions myself based on what I heard from the recruiting/camp circuit. He was this big time dude that other players liked and wanted to play with. He had swag.

Well, he's got passion. Beyond that... well... fingers crossed JC can sprinkle a little chill on his chi. 

loof i meant nothing bad to dag. he is one of several of my favorite posters and i thought he knew that but if i not i can assure you i meant no harm. i need to do better like i do in the pols boards.........i should leave no doubt how i feel. lol i enjoy dags posts and i believe we have never gotten into before but thanx for allowing me to see what might look like something i did not intend. you continue to rock like always loof.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

loof i meant nothing bad to dag. he is one of several of my favorite posters and i thought he knew that but if i not i can assure you i meant no harm. i need to do better like i do in the pols boards.........i should leave no doubt how i feel. lol i enjoy dags posts and i believe we have never gotten into before but thanx for allowing me to see what might look like something i did not intend. you continue to rock like always loof.

Oh, buddy, you didn't come across any kind of way and I wasn't trying to patronize you. All good and appreciate you posting the articles here. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Man you beat me to it. Then cue the guy who really has a side but pretends they don't and says I don't think anybody here has said......

Well you'd be wrong that's EXACTLY what they said lol

8 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Right.. the coaches should listen to JC though.. sounds as though this man knows something about development. 

My dude definitely had enough OCs to know the good from the bad.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, buddy, you didn't come across any kind of way and I wasn't trying to patronize you. All good and appreciate you posting the articles here. 

nothin but love on my part loof. the older i get the less it seems i state my case.......lol  i would smoke one with you any day.

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope he listens to him. Jason had his downs but he handled his emotions better. Visibly, at least. There’s a ton of differences in the two. But what he is saying seems like very sound advice. 

Hopefully we see the same turnaround that we saw with JC....but the 2 struggle with completely different aspects...or at least they respond in completely different ways. JC went into a shell and Bo plays hero ball.

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Advice: "when you're being tackled, stop wildly throwing the ball when you are two inches from the ground!" Ok. 

I have no problem with getting rid of it 

This is actually a good article and great advice from a former Auburn and NFL starting QB.  The advice seems authentic and full of wisdom from past experiences.  I hope Bo can turn the corner, slow down and let the game come to him instead of trying to force his will all the time. 

Yeah there’s too much hero ball going on. He didn’t have a problem throwing the ball away last year, now he’s forcing it more. 
The one thing that’s bothering me the most is he’s keying in on one guy and not going through his progressions. 

Chad is a till trying to figure out Bo’s tendencies? Really? With what he gets paid, how TF does he not know his tendencies by now? Yes, Covid has cut into exposure and practice time, but he’s had an entire season of film to study. That is an incredible lame excuse for someone who should be a professional at what they do, considering their salary. 

13 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Chad is a till trying to figure out Bo’s tendencies? Really? With what he gets paid, how TF does he not know his tendencies by now? Yes, Covid has cut into exposure and practice time, but he’s had an entire season of film to study. That is an incredible lame excuse for someone who should be a professional at what they do, considering their salary. 

So you've got your teenage kids all figured out?....Rightttt...lol

21 hours ago, alexava said:

I have no problem with getting rid of it 

I guarantee that's going to be a fumble before the year is out

On 10/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, aubiefifty said:

That's the key sentence for me. Bo is still trying to play high school ball but at the FBS D1 level. Johnny Manziel could get away with it. Bo can't. He has to grow up and adjust.

Archived