Britt to return before end of season

aubiefifty

al.com

Linebacker K.J. Britt to return before end of season

By Giana Han

Football: Auburn vs Georgia

Oct 3, 2020; Athens, GA, USA; K.J. Britt (33) react before the game during the game between Auburn and Georgia at Samford Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

How do you make up for a loss like K.J. Britt?

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn didn’t have an answer for that.

“That’s a tough blow,” Malzahn said. Luckily, that’s a question Auburn won’t have to deal with the whole season. Malzahn announced Tuesday that he expects Britt to return before the end of the year.

Heading into the season, Britt was named a first-team All-SEC player, an honor he was also given at the end of the 2019 season. He was one of two Auburn Tigers named to the first team. Just before the season began, he was given another title: team captain.

“He’s not only just a great player, but he’s a great leader,” Malzahn said.

When Britt hit the field in the season opener, he led the defense with 11 tackles. He also led the defense as he directed players from the middle of the field.

Britt continued that performance in the next game against Georgia, making 12 tackles, the third most on the team. He did so despite having to leave the game multiple times because of what he called some “nicks and bruises.” Linebacker Owen Pappoe said after the game that Britt’s fighting spirit and “heart” made an impact on the rest of the team.

They didn’t find out until later that week that Britt had to have surgery on his thumb and would be out for weeks. Although they didn’t expect the injury, Malzahn said they expected there to be additional adversity this season, and they prepared for it. Britt’s absence has given other players a chance to step up, and they have.

Linebacker Zakoby McClain said they went out against Arkansas determined to play for Britt. He and Pappoe had a performance that would make Britt proud. McClain led the team with 13 tackles and two quarterback hurries. Pappoe had the next most, finishing with 10 tackles and a sack.

Britt, who had his surgery that Friday, was not able to be at Jordan-Hare because he was still in “excruciating pain,” his mother, Tonia Britt said. But before the game, linebackers coach Travis Williams took the group out to visit Britt’s family at the hotel they were staying at.

While the younger linebackers have yet to play much of a role on the defense, Malzahn has been pleased with Pappoe and McClain in Britt’s absence. They’re two of the best in the entire league, Malzahn said, and they continued to lead the team in tackling against South Carolina.

“They are taking that next step,” Malzahn said.

They don’t have to do it completely without Britt. As soon as he was able to, Britt returned to cheer his team on from the sidelines. Even though he can’t hit the field, he can still help his team out.

“The great thing is KJ is still around and he’s still doing a great job of being a leader,” Malzahn said. “He did that Sunday night.”

That attitude is a Britt family thing. Despite their son’s injuries, Britt’s parents are still determined to do their part and cheer loudly for all the players who are able to be on the field. Britt plans to go to Ole Miss with the team, and his parents plan to be at any game they can.

“It’s bigger than just our son,” Tonia Britt said. “It’s about being supportive for our team.”

1 hour ago, lutzcammed said:

if i were Britt, I would opt out and start preparing for the NFL draft. 

He is too good of a teammate not to come back and help his fellow brothers. Thank goodness there are still some like him left!

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

if i were Britt, I would opt out and start preparing for the NFL draft. 

I could see him *maybe* wanting to use the last couple games of the season to show that he's improved in pass coverage, but, I mean, is he? And what are the chances that he plays against that bama offense and looks *better*? 

I agree with you. Get healthy and start preparing for the combine (if there is one) and draft now. 

I don’t see the upside of him coming back unless he’s got someone telling him he needs to for his draft stock.

Archived