It's official: Auburn needs to fire Gus despite buyout

aubiefifty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, keesler said:

Gus' Buyout - He'd have to get a show cause from the NCAA or pull a Petrino/Freeze sexcapade to release Auburn from paying him his $$.

I hear there is a great bar down in Pensacola - any chance we have a recruiting visit there in the near future?

2 minutes ago, difball said:

I hear there is a great bar down in Pensacola - any chance we have a recruiting visit there in the near future?

Gus's first time at a strip club: A photo essay

image.jpeg

Can Auburn turn it around, or is Gus Malzahn in trouble?

Petition · Auburn University: Fire Coach Gus Malzahn · Change.org

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn

Gus Malzahn 'doesn't blame' Rhett Lashlee for going out on his own |  Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Gus Malzahn, Bobby Bowden agree on slow-down rule | Sports |  dailytribune.com

XXy3WcJt.thumb.jpg.9e598f7ba1ad49ddb73c1

Leaving the club:

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn in pictures

Getting to Waffle House:

image.jpeg

On 10/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, keesler said:

We've been assured that the money is there and has been there since way back in 2016, it's there just waiting.  Money is not the issue.

Money was there. Fact. Isn't there anymore. Not by those who were going to chip in the past couple of years. They have washed their hands with this and with AU athletics. 

On 10/19/2020 at 1:33 PM, JBiGGiE said:

Perhaps the question is: Is the money there on principal or in the bank? That could be the consideration. It may also be that Allen Green is much more of a patient AD than the money men want him to be. That's not always a bad thing. But ultimately there's a lot that is going on behind closed doors that we won't be privy too and I don't see Allen Green airing out laundry or publicly addressing his thoughts even with veiled language. We're just gonna have to watch it play out I'm afraid...

Greene has zero influence or say on Gus Malzahn. None, zero. Never has. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Money was there. Fact. Isn't there anymore. Not by those who were going to chip in the past couple of years. They have washed their hands with this and with AU athletics. 

A few are also waiting to see how the election pans out to see if they are about to be heavily taxed personally.  Bigger tax rate means less money to contribute to non-essential items.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, keesler said:

The buyout will drop from $26.6mm to $21.5mm at year-end.  

Gus would do wonderful at a lower level program, where expectations are lower and competition is down around his capability level.  SEC P5 elite level program, and he's over his head.

It would actually, with everything involved, be right around a 2 million dollar savings to remove Gus next year. That is it. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

A few are also waiting to see how the election pans out to see if they are about to be heavily taxed personally.  Bigger tax rate means less money to contribute to non-essential items.

Don't believe that is a big part of it but I'm sure it does have some truth. Would have to. 

Welp, some of y'all were right. We have turned into Tennessee, and we're going to turn into the worst possible version of Tennessee when we fire Malzahn. Except because we kept him too long instead of firing him too soon. 

(Btw, that's something that never gets discussed about Tennessee. Are we sure they fired Fulmer too soon? Because it sure seems like it's what happened next that's the problem.)

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Welp, some of y'all were right. We have turned into Tennessee, and we're going to turn into the worst possible version of Tennessee when we fire Malzahn. Except because we kept him too long instead of firing him too soon. 

(Btw, that's something that never gets discussed about Tennessee. Are we sure they fired Fulmer too soon? Because it sure seems like it's what happened next that's the problem.)

If we lose to ole miss this weekend how can anyone argue any differently?  Gus is very much lucky he is even breaking .500 at this point. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't believe that is a big part of it but I'm sure it does have some truth. Would have to. 

How do you get the money folks back involved?

d45701e97f01e6b24e99b906af87c3e0.png

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus's first time at a strip club: A photo essay

image.jpeg

Can Auburn turn it around, or is Gus Malzahn in trouble?

Petition · Auburn University: Fire Coach Gus Malzahn · Change.org

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn

Gus Malzahn 'doesn't blame' Rhett Lashlee for going out on his own |  Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Gus Malzahn, Bobby Bowden agree on slow-down rule | Sports |  dailytribune.com

XXy3WcJt.thumb.jpg.9e598f7ba1ad49ddb73c1

Leaving the club:

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn in pictures

Getting to Waffle House:

image.jpeg

Guessing he ordered his hash browns covered and topped that night. 

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How is that when he’s the AD?

16 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

How is that when he’s the AD?

That’s because Gus has a monumental golden parachute which makes him invincible for a couple of more years.  Couple that with being protected by a trustee and major donor to AU. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So I reckon the question is; are we just simply stuck with Malzhan until the end of his contract? And..

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

...what good is Greene being AD if he has no influence over the HC?...and

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

How do you get the money folks back involved?

d45701e97f01e6b24e99b906af87c3e0.png

..just what has happened on AD's Greene's part to alienate the money men from donating or anteing up the funds?

18 minutes ago, cctiger said:

what good is Greene being AD if he has no influence over the HC?..

JABA

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So many questions and i know will not answer them all:

The guy that hired Gus is gone.  So who they cannot be mad at him.

The guy that gave Gus his new extension is gone.  Can't be mad at him.

The guy that fought to keep Gus after 2018 is gone. (yes same guy as above).  Cannot be mad at him.

The booster that fought to keep Gus after 2018 according to WarDamnEagleWDE was cut out of the loop from the other boosters. SO he shouldn't be a factor.

Greene doesn't ultimately determine Malzahns fate.

What happened?  These are the same people that ultimately agreed  to give Gus 49 million?

Yes, I personally believe there was an agreement that Gus will be left alone until the end of the Bo Nix era.  Is that it.  They are giving Gus the Bo Nix era to sink or swim?

If we still had Jacobs and Leath it would make sense of them washing their hands.  Is Gougue an issue?

Please answer a couple of these.  I am a child of divorce and suffer from low self esteem. I can't handle being ignored.

17 hours ago, cctiger said:

just what has happened on AD's Greene's part to alienate the money men from donating or anteing up the funds?

Gus did that, not AG

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus did that, not AG

I get that Gus could alienate a donor to the betterment of the overall program, facilities and such but it seems that same donor would be happy to send him packing.

Just now, gr82be said:

I get that Gus could alienate a donor to the betterment of the overall program, facilities and such but it seems that same donor would be happy to send him packing.

They've become so apathetic to the football program that it's not worth their time or money.

33 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Consider that they've already tried and been told no thanks. Jilting aside, now the economy is much more volatile. In addition to the very tangible considerations of that for their bottom lines, the optics of paying $21 million to fire someone in a time of record unemployment might not be great. I mean, we're talking about very wealthy people, which means they might employ a lot of people, which means they might have laid people off this year.

But also the jilting. 

Archived