How 15 new players did in week 2

aubiefifty

al.com

How 15 new players did for Auburn in week 2

By Giana Han

One of the best things that can come out of a defeat like Auburn’s 27-6 loss to Georgia is the chance to learn and improve.

No. 13 Auburn already had a relatively young team, but injuries forced even more inexperienced players into the starting lineup against Georgia. They had to learn on the fly what it takes to play a top-five team while shouldering a significant portion of the workload.

“We’re an inexperienced team,” coach Gus Malzahn said. “We’re going to grow each week. We’ll improve. So the biggest thing when a game like that happens is you’ve got to learn from it.”

Auburn had one freshman and one transfer start the game while 13 others played in their first top-10 matchup with Auburn. Here’s how they did:

- Tank Bigsby: The freshman running back’s performance was one of the best parts of the night for Auburn. With Shaun Shivers out and D.J. Williams limited, Bigsby had to start. He responded by accounting for 46 percent of Auburn’s offensive production. His 31 rushing yards and 68 receiving yards added up to 99 of Auburn’s 216 total yards. The coaching staff gave him the offensive helmet sticker for the week. “He’s the one that really kept us rolling,” quarterback Bo Nix said. “Just have to get everybody playing like Tank.”

- Brandon Council: The transfer from Akron once again earned the start at right guard but also played snaps at left guard. It was not a strong night for the offensive line, and Malzahn said they’re still trying to settle on the starting five.

- J.J. Pegues: While Pegues did not start against Georgia, the freshman tight end saw his role increase in week two. He took two direct snaps when Auburn needed first downs. Each time, he successfully rushed two yards to keep the drive alive. He also caught one of two targets for a four-yard gain and blocked well on offense and on special teams. He earned the special teams helmet sticker for his blocking on kickoff returns. “He’s a guy that can do it all,” Nix said. “He’s a good weapon for us.”

- Ze’Vian Capers: After starting against Kentucky, Capers was not among the first Auburn players to step onto the field against Georgia. He did see “some good action,” Malzahn said, but he wasn’t targeted all night.

- Kobe Hudson: The freshman wide receiver recorded his first college catch, an 18-yard reception on Auburn’s final drive of the game. It was the only time he was targeted. Malzahn said it was a good learning experience for him.

- Ja’Varrius Johnson: Although Johnson did not record a catch, the redshirt freshman gained some significant experience that Malzahn said will help build depth in the receiving corps, especially since senior Eli Stove had to sit out most of the game.

- Caylin Newton: Once again, the grad transfer from Howard did not make a catch, nor was he targeted. However, he was able to hit the field and show off his blocking skills.

- Brenden Coffey: The transfer from Butte Community College contributed on the offensive line but is not a candidate for the starting five.

- Keiondre Jones: The redshirt freshman was not a starting in either of Auburn’s two games, but he came in and played significant minutes in both. He played right guard, and Malzahn said he felt he did a good job and is coming along.

- Marquis Burks: Burks, who transferred from Iowa Central Community College, gained his second game of experience against SEC offensive lines. As part of Auburn’s defensive line, he recorded one tackle for the night.

- Oscar Chapman: The punter from Australia played his second game with the Tigers and took care of three of Auburn’s five punts. He averaged 38 yards a punt and placed one inside the 20.

- Wesley Steiner: The true freshman was listed behind all-SEC linebacker K.J. Britt, but he did not see time against Kentucky. With Britt banged up against Georgia, Steiner got the chance to hit the field while Britt took brief breaks.

- Ladarius Tennison: With Jaylin Simpson injured and Smoke Monday ejected, the Auburn secondary needed all the help it could get. Freshman Tennison hit the field but did not record any tackles.

- Chris Thompson Jr.: The freshman defensive back also helped out in the secondary but did not record any tackles. It was his first college game.

- Zykeivous Walker: Both Big Kat Bryant and Derick Hall returned to the defensive line, but Walker still saw time. In his second game, the freshman did not record a tackle.

Three players who made their debuts against Kentucky did not play in the game against Georgia. They include graduate transfer quarterback Grant Loy, and freshmen linebackers Cam Riley and Desmond Tisdol. Malzahn also said there are two junior college transfers on the defensive line and two on the offensive line who have not played but have been given extra reps to try to prepare them as soon as possible. Freshman tight end Brandon Frazier and junior college transfer cornerback Marco Domio are both battling injuries.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Three players who made their debuts against Kentucky did not play in the game against Georgia. They include graduate transfer quarterback Grant Loy, and freshmen linebackers Cam Riley and Desmond Tisdol.

I'm certain that I saw #35 on defense, freshman LB Cam Riley, in on a number of plays.  ITAT says Riley played LB and he's credited with one assisted tackle. The AUTigers box score says Riley did not play. Who ya' gonna' believe, them or your own eyes? :)

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm certain that I saw #35 on defense, freshman LB Cam Riley, in on a number of plays.  ITAT says Riley played LB and he's credited with one assisted tackle. The AUTigers box score says Riley did not play. Who ya' gonna' believe, them or your own eyes? :)

have the linebackers seemed to struggle in our last two games mikey? i know the d line has to help but i thought we had the best linbackers in the sec this year according to some talking head. and one of the announcers said they were having problems first game and the second game one of the announcers said other than britt our linebackers were not big enough. i mean wth? what do you see?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

have the linebackers seemed to struggle in our last two games mikey? i know the d line has to help but i thought we had the best linbackers in the sec this year according to some talking head. and one of the announcers said they were having problems first game and the second game one of the announcers said other than britt our linebackers were not big enough. i mean wth? what do you see?

I think the LB performance has been much below what we all had expected from them. Why is a question I don't know the answer to.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think the LB performance has been much below what we all had expected from them. Why is a question I don't know the answer to.

no one seems to be talking about it much. i guess it is the covid effect since we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I’d say LB struggles are a direct result of Dline play.  I’ll also say I’ve noticed our LBs look smaller than I remembered.  #9 especially looks more DB size to me.  

Auburn is going to need a lot of new guys to step up if injuries keep piling up.

23 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’d say LB struggles are a direct result of Dline play.  I’ll also say I’ve noticed our LBs look smaller than I remembered.  #9 especially looks more DB size to me.  

Auburn is going to need a lot of new guys to step up if injuries keep piling up.

I think T-Will likes somewhat smaller, quicker LB's. Also, Wooten opting out of playing this year hasn't helped the situation. As you mention, a large part of the D-line's job is keeping blockers off the LB's. That's got to improve too.

• WarTiger changed the title to How 15 new players did in week 2
On 10/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, Mikey said:

I saw this too. I know #35 was there.

As for the LBs play this season...very disappointing. I mean KJ has racked up on tackles but overall none have played to the level expected. I think McClain has been the best of the group in what I have seen. A big part of that is probably from being spoiled by Marlon and Derrick demanding and beating double teams. A good DL can make an average LB look great. I am not saying our LBs are average...but their play thus far has been nothing but average IMO.

Archived