Auburn prepares for ‘real speed’ on Georgia’s special teams

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Auburn prepares for ‘real speed’ on Georgia’s special teams

Posted Sep 30, 2020

Georgia kicker Jack Podlesny (96) kicks a field goal against Arkansas during an NCAA college football game in Fayetteville, Ark. Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Michael Woods)AP

By Giana Han

One specific thing stuck out to Auburn coach Gus Malzahn when he watched Georgia’s special teams.

“They’ve got real speed,” Malzahn said.

The Bulldogs, who the Tigers will play Saturday in a 6:30 p.m. matchup in Athens, dominated on special teams in their win over Arkansas. From coverage to kicking to punting to returning, the Bulldogs performed well.

The speed that Malzahn noticed showed itself in Georgia’s return game. Its two punt returners, Tyrique Stevenson and Kearis Jackson, averaged 23 yards and 17 yards respectively. Kick returner Kenny McIntosh returned one kick 48 yards and averaged 45.5 yards per return.

Even so, Georgia coach Kirby Smart wasn’t satisfied with his team’s performance there, saying he thought they “left some out there.” He thinks they have the potential to score touchdowns with their return team.

However, Smart was happy with the development of some Georgia’s gunners, who also have that speed. During the offseason, Smart said they worked hard to teach the gunners to help pin the ball in the 10, and those reps paid off in the season opener. As a coverage unit, Georgia gave up just one return, a 10-yard kick return by Arkansas’s DeVion Warren.

The punters and kickers were also key components in the field position battle. The Bulldogs may have lost Lou Groza Award winner Rodrigo Blankenship, but kicker Jack Podlesny stepped up. He made both of the 38-yard field goals he attempted, as well as all three extra points. He also averaged 64 yards on his six kickoffs with five touchbacks.

Punter Jake Camarda also contributed to Georgia’s special teams success. He punted seven times Saturday and averaged 49.9 yards per punt. His longest of the game was a 63-yard punt. Five of the seven punts landed inside the 20, and four of them were 50 yards or longer.

Georgia’s special teams unit still has room to grow, according to Smart. There were several situations he didn’t feel they handled well, and they had to unnecessarily burn a timeout. He was not pleased with that.

Smart also acknowledged that his team was probably ahead of Arkansas in terms of skill on special teams, but Auburn will present a different challenge.

“They have all their starters, all of their best players on special teams,” Smart told reporters Monday. “It’s going to be a competitive war on special teams because they have really good special teams players.”

Malzahn recognized the talent on Georgia, in return. To beat the Bulldogs, he said Auburn will have to buckled down on the little things.

“We’re going to have to do a great job with scheme, with technique and everything that goes with that to try to win the special teams battle,” Malzahn said.

I’m really worried about Uga returning a kick for a score and changing the game. This is an area we have struggled with lately. We looked pretty solid against Kentucky though I was nervous every time they returned one. I miss the days of just being able to kick it through the back of end zone and not worry about giving up cheap touchdowns. 

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m really worried about Uga returning a kick for a score and changing the game. This is an area we have struggled with lately. We looked pretty solid against Kentucky though I was nervous every time they returned one. I miss the days of just being able to kick it through the back of end zone and not worry about giving up cheap touchdowns. 

Let's hope the wind is light and Andres doesn't give them the chance.

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Let's hope the wind is light and Andres doesn't give them the chance.

That's the best scenario...just kick the ball deep in the end zone and out!

Just drive it to the 45-50 and let Bo pooch it.  He’s automatic.  Maybe fake it once just to keep them honest.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Just drive it to the 45-50 and let Bo pooch it.  He’s automatic.  Maybe fake it once just to keep them honest.

I'd rather drive down and score a TD

Archived