Is Gus Malzahn’s Pat Dye look here to stay?

aubiefifty

Is Gus Malzahn’s Pat Dye look here to stay?

Gus Malzahn Kentucky

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn before the start of an NCAA college football game against Kentucky on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 in Auburn, Alabama. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

shares

Gus Malzahn turned back the clock to pay homage to an Auburn legend during the Tigers' season-opener.

Malzahn walked into Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday dressed head to toe like that man for whom the field is named, Pat Dye. On a day in which Auburn honored the late Dye — with a pregame video, helmet decals, logos stenciled onto the field and, fittingly, a 60-minute effort against Kentucky — it was Malzahn whose tribute fit to a T. The eighth-year Auburn coach sported a short-sleeved white button-down, an orange-and-blue diagonally striped tie and a Dye-era block-A Auburn cap.

“Perfect,” safety Smoke Monday said of Malzahn’s gameday get-up. “Perfect. Perfect. He looked just like him. He’s a good coach, we honored him. He always loved Auburn, loved this team always…. He focused on helping us achieve different things in life also, so will be missed.”

It was a look almost universally adored by fans and players alike. On social media before, during and after the game, the reaction to Malzahn’s Dye-inspired outfit was overwhelmingly positive. Monday, one of a handful of players made available after the game, said Malzahn should “definitely” continue that look on gamedays this season, adding that “it looks good on him.”

When asked if he will wear a similar outfit this weekend against No. 4 Georgia (1-0), Malzahn — in typical Malzahn fashion — didn’t want to tip his hand one way or the other.

“You know, I haven’t really got that far,” Malzahn said Sunday. “Probably toward the end of the week, I’ll decide. We’ll see.”

I'm thinking that Gus should just wear the PD attire at home games. I don't know why I think that, but I just do. Seems like he is special to us, but not to anyone else, so the mojo might not be there. 🤷‍♀️

It looked way better on Gus than any other Gus looks we've seen.

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“Perfect,” safety Smoke Monday said of Malzahn’s gameday get-up. “Perfect. Perfect. He looked just like him. He’s a good coach, we honored him. He always loved Auburn, loved this team always…. He focused on helping us achieve different things in life also, so will be missed.”

selena-gomez-t-hats-my-man.gif

23 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It was a look almost universally adored by fans and players alike.

Nice treat from Gus and Auburn. Coach Dye was always up before the sun everyday. On gameday he could be spotted attired and pacing his drive in Bent Creek awaiting the troopers for pick up. The state troopers always stopped a John Jacksons Bent Creek Grocery to get his "gameday" breakfast..... two breakfast steak sandwiches and a large coffee. 

I think Gus should stick with the cap but forget about the tie. It was a nice tribute.

Now go 7-5 against Georgia like Dye did. :) 

4 hours ago, woodford said:

It was a cool gesture, to do it all season would be kind of tacky imo. I'd like to see Gus bring back to 2013 look. The Ditka vest was killer.

Ditka vest debuted in the BCSNCG, I consider it cursed. 

Archived