Auburn expects run game to expand, improve as O-line solidifies

aubiefifty

Auburn expects run game to expand, improve as O-line solidifies

ByNathan King 21 hours ago

x

AUBURN, Alabama — Gus Malzahn stepped out of his comfort zone against Kentucky, opting to rotate multiple offensive linemen at multiple spots in hopes of settling on the Tigers’ most successful starting five sooner rather than later this season.

And he did so against a strong Wildcats defensive front, working to break in a new offensive coordinator and playbook, and after many of Auburn’s O-linemen received lessened reps in fall camp due to COVID-19 issues within the position group.

All factors considered, Malzahn wasn’t displeased with how the unit held up in its run-blocking. Auburn’s three tailbacks that received touches in the 29-13 win over UK — junior starter Shaun Shivers, sophomore D.J. Williams and highly anticipated freshman Tank Bigsby — totaled 65 yards on 20 carries.

“For the first game, I feel like as running backs we played kind of good," Shivers said. "At the end of the day, we probably need to work on just being more patient."

It wasn’t the explosive opening act from one of Auburn’s deepest running back rooms in recent years that fans may have hoped for, but Malzahn is confident that as the O-line puzzle continues to be solved, new offensive coordinator Chad Morris will facilitate expansion and improvement on the ground.

“You know, Chad's got the playbook. He can do a lot of different things in the run game,” Malzahn said Tuesday on a Zoom call with reporters. “... I really feel like we'll improve in the run game. But having a lot of different things you can do, I think is really good. And I think that the more that we can settle in on five linemen, like we talked about Sunday, that gel up front will also help as far as the run game goes.”

Shivers was the best of the running backs with six carries for 29 yards, including a tackle-breaking, 11-yard burst, but he and the others had to fight for much of their yardage after contact. UK was disciplined and filled its gaps well, Malzahn said, for most of the afternoon, despite Auburn’s efforts to mix and match blocking schemes with the three tailbacks.

“They really held the point when we got big sets in, and they were really pressuring us,” Malzahn said. “I mean, they're a good defense. Like I said, Coach Stoops, I really feel like is one of the better coaches in our league. His teams are always prepared.”

Still, the Tigers played clean and allowed their defense to pace the win, particularly in the second half. Much to Malzahn’s delight, Auburn didn’t cough up a fumble in an SEC game for the first time since LSU last season.

It was quarterback Bo Nix who led Auburn’s ground game in terms of rushing output against Kentucky, with a sack-adjusted 35 yards on four scrambles and designed QB runs. Auburn will need Nix’s dual-threat prowess Saturday against No. 4 Georgia’s salty defensive front. Last year, Nix scored on an option keeper against UGA for the first rushing TD allowed by the Bulldogs all season.

Against Kentucky, Auburn swapped out starting left tackle Alec Jackson for Austin Troxell, and top right guard Tashawn Manning for Keiondre Jones. Jackson and Manning were still the starters at their respective spots on this week’s two-deep, though Auburn more often that not doesn’t diligently update its official depth chart.

Malzahn doesn’t have a timeframe for when or how he’d like to solidify a starting five. Whatever Auburn’s plan, the Tigers will be provided a monumental challenge going against a Bulldogs defense that’s been talked up in the offseason as possibly Kirby Smart’s best.

“They've got just about everybody back, so you're looking at not just one of the best rushing defenses, if not the best rushing defense, in the country, but one of the best overall defenses,” Malzahn said of Georgia. “I think you've got to have everything available against a really good defense, whether it's run, pass or whatever.”

Shaun Shivers (8) (Photo: SEC Media Services / AU Athletics)

Archived