How 14 newcomers fared

aubiefifty

al.com

How 14 newcomers fared in their Auburn debut

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Football: Auburn vs Kentucky

Sep 11, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; J.J. Peques (89) reacts to D.J. Williams (3) touchdown during the game between Auburn and Kentucky at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn had 14 newcomers see the field during its season-opening win against Kentucky on Saturday, including two who cracked the starting lineup in their first game in a Tigers uniform.

Freshman wide receiver Ze’Vian Capers and grad transfer offensive lineman Brandon Council both earned starts against the Wildcats. Council started at right guard but also saw some time on the left side of the line in the second half. Capers, meanwhile, started at receiver along with Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz to open the game. He finished the day with one reception for 17 yards.

In all, Auburn had eight new players on offense see the field for the first time on Saturday, while five defenders and one special teamer made their debut against Kentucky. Here’s how each fared:

--Brandon Council: Started at right guard but also saw snaps at left guard.

-- Ze’Vian Capers: Started at wide receiver, finished with one 17-yard reception on two targets.

-- Tank Bigsby: The freshman running back was the third option out of the backfield on Saturday, finishing the game with six carries for 15 yards, all in the second half. He also fielded one kick return for 34 yards.

-- Caylin Newton: The grad transfer from Howard, in his first game as a receiver, did not record a catch nor was he targeted in the passing game. However, he saw the field against Kentucky and displayed tenacity as a blocker on the perimeter.

-- J.J. Pegues: The 6-foot-2, 300-pound freshman tight end saw ample playing time against Kentucky while being used primarily as a blocking option. On one play, Auburn motioned him across the formation before Bo Nix hit Anthony Schwartz on a swing pass. Pegues served as the lead blocker in the open field, and Schwartz nearly broke the play for a touchdown but was tripped up after 23 yards.

-- Grant Loy: The grad transfer quarterback out of Bowling Green made the most of his limited time on the field. After Auburn’s first touchdown, the Tigers ran a swinging gate trick play on the conversion, which resulted in Loy finding John Samuel Shenker in the end zone for two point and an 8-7 lead.

-- Keiondre Jones: The redshirt freshman offensive lineman saw reps at right guard during the second half, when Auburn moved Council to the left side of the line.

-- Kobe Hudson: The freshman wide receiver saw the field but did not record a stat.

-- Ladarius Tennison: The freshman defensive back was not credited with a tackle but saw the field against Kentucky, including on special teams. He was on the field during Auburn’s thwarting of Kentucky’s fake punt attempt in the second half.

-- Zykeivous Walker: The freshman defensive lineman finished with two tackles on the day as Auburn relied on its depth along the defensive line thanks to an ankle injury that limited Big Kat Bryant and the targeting ejection of Derick Hall.

-- Marquis Burks: The junior college transfer also saw time in Auburn’s defensive line rotation, finishing the game with one tackle.

-- Cam Riley: The freshman linebacker made one tackle during his debut.

-- Desmond Tisdol: The freshman linebacker did not make a tackle or record a stat in his first college game.

-- Oscar Chapman: The Australian punter wasn’t announced as the starter against Kentucky (that distinction went to Aidan Marshall), nor was he the first player to punt for Auburn (that was quarterback Bo Nix), but he was the first listed punter to attempt a punt against Kentucky. Chapman had two punt attempts Saturday, averaging 43 yards and pinning one inside the Wildcats' 10-yard line.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Great capture; thanks so much.

Z Capers' catch was not easy and he looked comfortable finishing the play.  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Great capture; thanks so much.

Z Capers' catch was not easy and he looked comfortable finishing the play.  

I think we need to target him more often. He looked really good coming in and out of his breaks creating good separation and is a mismatch to most DBs, IMO

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

He also fielded one kick return for 34 yards.

And trucked a hapless tackler in the process! 😝 

Is Derick Hall having to miss any game time this week for the targeting since it happened in the first half? I can’t remember the rule about ejections and if it carries over.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Is Derick Hall having to miss any game time this week for the targeting since it happened in the first half? I can’t remember the rule about ejections and if it carries over.

No. Derick Hall only had to miss the 2nd half of last week's game to satisfy the suspension. He should be able to play Saturday.

2 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

did wesley steiner not play/dress?  i thought i had read where he would be the next LB off the bench but article mentions riley and tisdol.  maybe i missed something?

I am sure he did not play. Not sure if he dressed.

If you go to Auburn's website and look at game stats, their is a category called 'player participation'. I didn't see Steiner's name on that list so I am pretty sure he didn't play. 

• WarTiger changed the title to How 14 newcomers fared
19 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

did wesley steiner not play/dress?  i thought i had read where he would be the next LB off the bench but article mentions riley and tisdol.  maybe i missed something?

He didn’t play. @Dukesthescoop said on his podcast that something happened with him before the game to where he couldn’t play. He didn’t go into detail that’s all he said

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think we need to target him more often. He looked really good coming in and out of his breaks creating good separation and is a mismatch to most DBs, IMO

People say we need to throw to Schwartz more, we need to throw to TE’s more, and we need to throw to RB’s out of the backfield more. So where would his targets come from?

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

People say we need to throw to Schwartz more, we need to throw to TE’s more, and we need to throw to RB’s out of the backfield more. So where would his targets come from?

It's not about specific plays as its about not predetermining where you're going with the ball. It's about taking what the defense gives you. There were opportunities to get him the ball last Saturday by the way the defense played.

21 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

While the other two freshman LB's played, they didn't play LB. Their action was on special teams.

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Supposedly the rulebook does not specifically state we have to play with one football.  I haven't read it, but seem plausible.  

In order to get more playmakers involved on each play,  Allen Green flew to KC this week to plead the case for Auburn to snap two footballs on each play.  

He took Bo Nix with him, who led Auburn in rushing, passing and punting.  I think they have a chance.  

Archived