Jaylin Simpson wins SEC weekly honors

aubiefifty

Auburn’s Jaylin Simpson wins SEC weekly honors

In his first game as a starter, just days after he won the starting position, cornerback Jaylin Simpson earned SEC honors.

The SEC announced Monday that Simpson’s performance in his first career start earned him the freshman of the week award. In Auburn’s 29-13 win over Kentucky, Simpson had four tackles and one pass breakup. One of those tackles was for a loss of six.

The redshirt freshmen had played in four games as a true freshmen in 2019. They were all Auburn’s less competitive match-ups, including Kent State, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Samford. He made two tackles that season in the Kent State game and the Mississippi State game.

looks like you made a great call on him bird.........

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

looks like you made a great call on him bird.........

He is going to be very good. I knew he was fluid and had the speed, but his quickness and recognition is what really jumped of the film from Saturday to me.

Coming back to this...

Simpson had one of the best debuts of any corner we've had that I can remember. His quickness in his breaks and the attitude he plays press man is beyond impressive. His man coverage ability is going to allow us to be even more aggressive on D.

I thought he and Tutt were the most impressive on Saturday. This could easily become our best secondary in decades.

Archived