College GameDay heading to Athens

aubiefifty

31 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I went to the first black out game in Athens. Had no problems. My son was very young and UGA fans treated him kindly. Even gave him a stuffed UGA football. Offered to buy our drinks etc. I thought it was a similar experience to what visiting fans at Auburn must feel like.

Whole family went to game at WV. Those people are beyond rude. Yelling F bombs at us just walking our way to Tiger Walk. Had Alabama fans sit near us that made the WV fans seem polite. 

I would never take my family to LSU. I stopped going to games there after 2005 when after the game I found my vehicle vandalized. I once saw an LSU fan get hit with a trash can thrown from the stadium. I don't consider the atmosphere in Baton Rouge safe. I hear the University has made an effort to improve the safety but not worth the hassle to find out. 

Careful. There's a bizarrely large and passionate contingent of Red Stick stans around here. This conversation will come back up any time we play them on the road and folks will raise their purple and gold shields and tell you that you're blowing things out of proportion, and that whatever happened was your fault because you probably provoked them. All because they had some really good gumbo one time.  It's so weird to me.

I'm sure the mutts treated you well at the blackout game. Lord knows our team treated them well that day. 

I've been to the DSOR game in Athens for 07, 09, 11, and 16 games. Never had any trouble. Definitely saw some jawing back and forth (it got worse after Cam).

In 2016 I had some UGA fan yell "War Eagle" to me after the game. I just laughed (how could you not after that joke of a game?). Athens was pretty excited that night. Most Dawg fans I was around were so surprised they won they were more in a good mood than an a**hole mood.

Athens is definitely a perfect storm for this kind of stuff. Born and raised in Georgia so I understand this 100%. You mix in the arrogance of folks from Georgia (mostly Atlanta), tons of money, the fact that Auburn is a rival and from the state of Alabama, and 10's of thousands of gallons of alcohol, and this is usually the result.

Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, and the 2013 game really turned this rivalry sour.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:14 PM, Maverick.AU said:

I’ve heard so many horror stories about people going to athens for a game (multiple fanbases) and they said it was the worst gameday experience they ever had Bc of how rude the fans are, even to just your average person going to the game that isn’t obnoxious or a smack talker. 

I never had a problem there until after the 2005 game. Just hasnt been the same since. Sad, because this is one of my favorite games. Side note - the earliest baby photo of me is in UGA gear. My only excuse for this travesty is that I was born in Georgia.

9 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

I never had a problem there until after the 2005 game. Just hasnt been the same since. Sad, because this is one of my favorite games. Side note - the earliest baby photo of me is in UGA gear. My only excuse for this travesty is that I was born in Georgia.

Most of the stories I’ve heard have been post 2005 as well. Some of the worst ones were post 2010.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:14 PM, Maverick.AU said:

I’ve heard so many horror stories about people going to athens for a game (multiple fanbases) and they said it was the worst gameday experience they ever had Bc of how rude the fans are, even to just your average person going to the game that isn’t obnoxious or a smack talker. 

I always here the story that the fans will woof at you, also the only place i've ever heard auburn fans being spit on.

Archived