What Malzahn said about Kentucky

aubiefifty

al.com

What Gus Malzahn said about Kentucky on 'Tiger Talk'

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn Tiger Talk 2020

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn makes an appearance on "Tiger Talk" remotely from his office due to COVID-19 safety protocols on Sept. 17, 2020. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Game week is here, and Auburn’s long-anticipated season opener is less than 48 hours away. No. 8 Auburn will open the season at home on Saturday at 11 a.m. against No. 23 Kentucky, with the game broadcast on SEC Network.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn made his weekly radio appearance on “Tiger Talk" to preview the matchup with the Wildcats, which comes after a long and challenging offseason. It will be Auburn’s first game in nearly nine months, having last taken the field on Jan. 1 against Minnesota in the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla.

Below is a quick recap of everything Malzahn said on this week’s show:

GUS MALZAHN

-- How has this week of practice differed? Malzahn says this week saw more urgency from players as the reality set in that they’re finally going to play a game.

-- On the last few months: “There’s been a lot of ups and downs to get to this point, and there’s been a lot of sacrifice. They’ve had to change the way they live.”

-- Gus Malzahn praises Dr. Michael Goodlett and athletics administrator Marcy Girton for everything they did to get the team through this offseason. Says Goodlett was “on the cutting edge.”

-- Biggest concern with Kentucky? “They were fourth in the country in rushing last year, and they were first in our league. Any time you’re in the top-10 rushing, especially in the SEC with the defenses, that says a lot.” Also points to Kentucky’s scoring defense, with seven returning starters on that side of the ball.

-- Bo Nix is “in a good spot” heading into the season. Established himself as a team leader and has been playing at an “extremely high level” the last couple of weeks.

-- On the punter battle between Aidan Marshall and Oscar Chapman: “It’s been a really close matchup.” Says Auburn could use both against Kentucky.

-- On the early kickoff time and getting the team ready for an 11 a.m. start: “The good thing is we actually had our scrimmages at 11 -- two early scrimmages and one regular practice at 11 on a Saturday.” Says players' body clocks should we prepared.

-- On which new offensive linemen have stood out the most: “Brandon Council is probably the guy that has really stood out the most.” Praises his versatility. He’ll be starting at right guard.

-- Some news here: Apparently Alec Jackson will get the start at left tackle over Austin Troxell this week (they were listed as co-starters on the depth chart). Malzahn expects both to play.

-- Caylin Newton reminds Malzahn of Kodi Burns in making his transition from playing quarterback to receiver.

-- On Seth Williams: “He’s played his best ball the last few weeks. He’s improved from last year.” Thinks he’s set up to have a big year. Williams has cut some weight, gotten stronger and faster. “When you physically look at him, you can see changes from last year.”

-- On if time constraints have hindered special teams preparations: “We’ve really worked hard on that. We’ve worked more live than any other fall camp -- maybe doubled” because special teams has been a big factor in a lot of games so far this season.

-- On Kentucky QB Terry Wilson: “He’s got experience. His starting record is very impressive.... There’s nothing like experience, especially in this league at the quarterback position.”

-- On preparing for new gameday atmosphere/pumped-in noise: “Not just the crowd noise, but the lights being different too... just really, we turned up exactly how loud it’s going to be on defense.” Apparently there will be crowd noise on offense too.

-- On UK offensive line vs. Auburn’s defensive front: It will be a big factor in the game. “That’ll be the matchup, I believe.”

-- “It’s just a unique year, and everything’s different.” One thing hasn’t changed, though: The rules are the same and the dimensions of the field are same as always. It’s football.

-- Malzahn says his routine is “completely different” now than it was when he first came into the league. “Coaches are routine people. I’m very routine. I’m very excited Coach Morris is here running our offense, which has allowed me to do more head coaching things... I think it’s been a really good transition for me.”

-- On how much input he’ll have on the offense: “Chad’s going to run our offense. Like I said before, I got a lot of confidence in him... In all three phases, I’ll have an idea of what our plans are.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to What Malzahn said about Kentucky

Archived