Nix says he and the Auburn offense are prepared for opener

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Nix says he and the Auburn offense are prepared for opener

ByJason Caldwell

AUBURN, Alabama—The SEC Freshman of the Year a season ago after throwing for 2,542 yards and 16 touchdowns while adding seven rushing touchdowns, Bo Nix is looking to take his game to another level as he heads into his sophomore year under the guidance of first-year offensive coordinator Chad Morris.

With the Kentucky Wildcats up first in Saturday’s football season opener at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Nix said he feels like both himself and the offense are in a good spot despite the challenges of no spring practice and limited time together during the summer. Having two full weeks to prepare a plan because of the extended preseason practice time is something that Nix said he believe will be a benefit this week.

I think our coaches have done a really, really good job of making sure that we’ve taken the time that we have got together to make sure that they put together a plan that we can execute,” Nix said of the offense. “We got an extra week last week to kind of prepare so we kind of had two weeks to go for it. They’ve done a really good job of keeping it kind of concise and simple for us as we didn’t have spring ball.

“We’re still under a new year with Coach Morris. We haven’t played a game with him. I feel like they’ve done a great job of preparing us and making sure that they’re doing things that we’re capable of doing, and they haven’t been super crazy with and just making sure that they’re consistent with things. I feel as a whole we’re in a really good spot. Our guys are responding really well. We’re just really excited.”

As for himself, Nix said having a full season under his belt in the Southeastern Conference while facing one of the nation’s toughest schedules a year ago has him prepared for what’s ahead.

“Going through a 13-game season last year, I saw quite a bit, if not everything, that I’m going to see in a career,” Nix said. “From that I’ve learned exactly how to prepare. Obviously, learning new things and new ways to go into a week, but just having all those games, all those weeks last year to prepare and to learn, to find kind of a rhythm to go as the week goes on, I’ would say I’m completely different from where I was last year at this time going into Oregon.

“I’ve grown a lot as a person, as a player, just on and off the field. I think that because of the growth that I’ve had, it’s made it a lot easier for me going into the season. I know what I’m looking for, I know how to react, I know what the practices are supposed to be at, I know the tempo they’re supposed to be at. It’s just literally all the little things that go into a week of preparation, just having done that already has made me really comfortable and I feel like I’m really far ahead from where I was last year.”

While there is a game plan going into the first game of the season, Nix knows that can change in a heartbeat depending on how the game goes each week. That’s especially true with so many questions surrounding Auburn’s offensive line and even the running back position.

A player capable of making plays with his legs and out of the pocket, Nix said he feels like that’s a strength of his game going into year two with the Tigers. Now it’s a matter of building onto those things within the structure of the offense to see where that takes the Auburn offense in 2020. The first test for that comes Saturday.

“I think Coach Morris will do a really good job with the play getting it to where he allows me to be myself and he allows me to do the things that I’m good at,” Nix said. “He allows the players around me, not only me, but he allows the players around me to do what they do best and to get those guys the ball. And a quarterback’s only as good as the guys around him. And so any quarterback looks really good if they can get other guys the ball and they're dynamic with it so it's really going to be a whole team effort.

"I think Coach Morris will do a good job of gauging how we’re doing and what needs to be changed and what needs to stay the same. We’re really looking forward to seeing the new year and seeing how we respond as a new offense with new pieces to the puzzle. Still at the same time putting things together as we move on through the season.”

Kickoff for Saturday’s season opener against the Wildcats is scheduled for 11 a.m. CDT The game can be seen on SEC Network.

9490394.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Bo Nix heads into year two as Auburn's starting QB. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

8COMMENTS

Historically, the biggest jump in any players growth comes in their second year of play; and I think that’s gonna be exponentially true in a coach’s son named BIG BO NIX!!!

And in the words of @GwillMac6  “woooooohoooo, lets goooooo “!

Archived