ESPN's Rece Davis: 'needs to be careful' against Kentucky

aubiefifty

247sports.com

ESPN's Rece Davis: Auburn 'needs to be careful' against Kentucky

ByChris Fisher

Auburn has been on upset alert against Kentucky since the 2020 SEC schedule was released in mid-August.

The ESPN College GameDay crew, who was live from Louisville for the Cardinals home ACC matchup against Miami, joined the chorus Saturday with kickoff now just a week away.

Get the latest Kentucky Wildcats news sent directly to your inbox when you sign up for our FREE email newsletter TODAY!

"We're one week away from getting things cranked up in the SEC. I know Kentucky's not going to play Louisville this year but they will open next week on The Plains against Gus Malzahn and the Tigers. This is a game that I'm really looking forward to," Rece Davis said. "I know Lynn Bowden is gone but Terry Wilson is back, Jamar Watson is back for Kentucky and there's a question on the offensive line for Auburn. What will Bo Nix be able to do? I think Auburn needs to be really careful. I think Kentucky is a little bit underrated."

Chris 'The Bear' Fallica called Kentucky-Auburn "the most intriguing opener in the SEC next week."

"The game I'm most curious about to look at the number is that Auburn-Kentucky game. That's a tricky, tricky game for Auburn to start the year," Fallica said. "You know Mark Stoops' defense is going to be good, I think their running game is going to be really good. And you have your quarterback back. That's the most intriguing opener in the SEC next week in my opinion."

Despite losing Bowden, a First Team All-American, SEC leading rusher and third round NFL Draft pick who did it all for the Wildcats last season, UK returns plenty of talent and experience on both sides of the ball.

After suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 2 of 2019, Kentucky returns starting quarterback Terry Wilson, who is 12-3 as a starter and in 2018, became the first player in school history to throw for 1,500+ yards and rush for 500+ yards in the same season.

The Wildcats also return a stable of running backs, AJ Rose, Kavosiey Smoke, and Chris Rodriguez, all of whom ran for 500+ yards and combined for nearly 2,000 yards and 18 touchdowns on the most prolific rushing team in school history.

They will be running behind what should be one of the best offensive line units in college football, which features First Team All-SEC performer Drake Jackson, who has started 33 straight games at center; All-SEC left offensive tackle Landon Young, who started all 13 games last season, preseason First Team All-SEC right tackle Darian Kinnard; and Luke Fortner, who started all 13 games at right guard.

Defensively, UK returns Quinton Bohanna, Marquan McCall, and Josh Paschal along the defensive line and Boogie Watson, who is the second-highest returning edge rusher in the SEC. In the secondary, Stoops returns one of the top passing defenses in college football, which features Brandin Echols, Cedrick Dort, Yusuf Corker, and Davonte Robinson, who missed the entire 2019 season. He also adds LSU transfer Kelvin Joseph, who is also expected to make an immediate impact.

Also back for Kentucky is Ray Guy Award winner and First Team All-American Max Duffy, who led the nation in yards per punt last season.

UK, who is 6-26 all-time vs. Auburn, was initially scheduled to play the Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 3. Auburn defeated Kentucky 30-27 at Kroger Field in the last meeting between the two schools in 2015. UK won 21-14 in its last visit to The Plains in 2009.

No. 20/23 and No. 8/9 Auburn kick off at noon eastern on the SEC Network.

">247Sports

Accurate column. Once again, we are a team’s Super Bowl and program elevator. Gus and the team better be prepared for a fight. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Accurate column. Once again, we are a team’s Super Bowl and program elevator. Gus and the team better be prepared for a fight. 

At times we have genuinely done exactly that over the years.

Win and it was expected. Lose and he told us so. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Everyone I’ve listened to on SiriusXM is picking UK. 

I love that! Of course when we beat them , it will be said we are suppose to do that , we have more talent.

• WarTiger changed the title to ESPN's Rece Davis: 'needs to be careful' against Kentucky

Kentucky better not sleep on us.  I don't think there is a fan up here in Kentucky that thinks UK loses this game.  I think people think it will be the Gus 1.0 offense, understandable considering our history.  This Chad Morris version could be a rude awakening for them. I don't think the actual UK team is taking us lightly.  They are experienced, with most back on offense. Solid defense and good coaching.  But I still think we give them a wake up call with our offense explosion. 

3 hours ago, WarTim said:

Win and it was expected. Lose and he told us so. 

Yeah. That’s the idea. The opening week is mostly predictable games. This game should also be pretty predictable, but it is less so than say the Bama Missouri matchup that will likely be a complete blowout. So this game has kind of become the “premiere” matchup, and they are trying to hype it up. If they are wrong, they’ll just say it was expected since he never actually says there’s going to be an upset.

Archived