Questions remain for Auburn heading into game week for UK

aubiefifty

AUBURN, Alabama—With one week remaining until opening day when his Auburn Tigers take on the Kentucky Wildcats at Jordan-Hare Stadium in an 11 a.m. CDT kickoff on the SEC Network, Coach Gus Malzahn is looking to build around his experienced players on both sides of the football. Because of no spring practices and limited time together over the summer, it has been a sprint to the starting line for everyone around the country.

“The veteran guys that we know what we are getting, I think that is what you've got to hang your hat on early,” Malzahn said. “As far as not knowing, it's just a matter of not going through spring. We did have an extended fall camp, which is great, and we have done more scrimmaging in fall camp than we have ever done so we do have good information.

“Each team is different," Malzahn said. "How the team is going to adapt and do things, and we have a lot of character this season...I think we've got some really good leadership on this team, but it's just the unknowns of getting out there and doing it. I do like our team. I like our staff. I'm excited to watch our guys.”

While the known for the Tigers are returning players such as Bo Nix, Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, Eli Stove and Nick Brahms on offense and a host of defensive players with experience, the biggest question remains up front on the offensive line. Even though Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. has worked his group down to a manageable number of players, there are still decisions to be made because of how broken up the camp has been because of players out of practice.

“We’re still sorting some of it out,” Malzahn said. “We have had some guys that were out this week, so we’re still sorting that out. Hopefully, this next week, we’ll get into a routine. One thing I will tell you is that this offensive line will have a chance to grow each week, but we’re just trying to get the right five guys, get them beside each other, get them used to communication, get them used to playing beside each other with the steps and everything that goes with that.”

Since the Tigers started practicing, Coach Gus Malzahn has talked about the need to develop a third team and even fourth-team depth at every position. That focus has been evident on the offensive line with Bicknell moving players around throughout camp to see them at different spots.

Graduate transfer Brandon Council has played right guard (where he is expected to start), center, left guard and left tackle. Alec Jackson has worked both at tackle and guard as well.

Those types of moves have given this Auburn group a little more built-in depth heading into the season, said Malzahn. “I think we are getting closer to that first five,. The depth chart will come out, what, next Tuesday so we’ll get that to you, but at the same time, you have to have the mind-set that you don’t just have five starters. You have to have eight or nine guys, the way I look at it, possibly even 10 that have that ability to not only play, but really play multiple positions. The good thing is we have done a whole lot of that up to this point because of the situations we’ve been in.

“We  have got some tackles that have played guard and tackle, and we have had one player that played center, guard and tackle so there’s been more of that, and to a certain point that was by design, but a lot of it had to do just with the people we had out. Hopefully, we can get some consistency and keep more players out on the practice field.”

Auburn will have a dress rehearsal in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday night getting into game-week practices.

9500185.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Nick Brahms prepares to the snap the football to Bo Nix last season. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Archived