Shedrick Jackson

aubiefifty

Shedrick Jackson's role at WR could evolve for Auburn

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Shedrick Jackson vs. Alabama

Auburn wide receiver Shedrick Jackson (11) celebrates as Auburn gets a first down on a penalty to clinch the win in a 48-45 victory over Alabama during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt)AP

Shedrick Jackson has been a key part of Auburn’s receiving corps the last two years, but the junior out of Hoover may finally be on the verge of becoming an integral part of the Tigers' passing attack.

After spending much of the last two seasons excelling as a blocker at receiver, Jackson has found a new sense of confidence as an all-around receiver looking to carve out a role for himself in new offensive coordinator Chad Morris' system.

“Shedrick Jackson is a guy that’s really coming along,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “He came off the end of last year and is just a really confident guy who is having a really good camp.”

Jackson, a former three-star recruit out of Hoover and the nephew of Auburn legend Bo Jackson, has appeared in 20 games during his first two seasons at Auburn but has recorded just four receptions for 46 yards and a two-point conversion.

The 6-foot, 201-pounder was lauded as being a polished receiver when he signed with Auburn in 2018, but much of his early playing time was earned due to his toughness and willingness to be a physical and effective perimeter blocker in the run game. That physicality continued to shine through as a sophomore last season, particularly down the stretch as he started in each of the Tigers' final four games of the season — against Georgia, Samford, Alabama and Minnesota.

That late surge into the lineup, which included a career-long 25-yard reception against Georgia, provided a welcome confidence boost for Jackson, who has carried that into the offseason and through fall camp. Now the junior is looking to assert himself as the fourth receiver behind the productive veteran trio of Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove.

Jackson has been the most improved returning receiver during practices, according to Williams. The Auburn legacy has honed his route-running ability, making the routes crisper this offseason, while focusing on his ability to finish receptions and go up and make a play on balls thrown his way.

“It was all about the confidence there,” junior cornerback Roger McCreary said. “But I see he has that. Last year, he was doing great on one-on-ones (in practice). I can see his improvement on drops and everything. He’s been doing great on the offensive side. I can tell from camp that they’re going to use him a lot on offense.”

Jackson will still be a valued part of Auburn’s perimeter-blocking scheme, but the junior figures to have a more involved role in Morris' more pass-heavy attack this season too, with Stove noting that Jackson has been asked to run more deep routes in fall camp the last month as Auburn looks for more explosive passing plays.

“I feel like he’s going to be a good contributor this year for us,” Williams said. “I feel like he improved a lot.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to Shedrick Jackson

Compared him very early on, out of hope more than any actual frame of reference, to Terrell Zachary. Just a lunch pail guy who will make the play when he needs to. We already know the blocking is there. Not sure he has TZac's wheels but I'm sticking with the optimistic comparison.

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm sure Bo was thrilled to see Shedrick score a touchdown against Bammer. He's stepping up to be the kind of a WR we all knew he'd be.

That was a 2 point conversion, but close enough 

Archived