Freshman safety pushing for role

aubiefifty

al.com

Freshman safety pushing for role in Auburn secondary

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

DB Chris Thompson

Auburn signee Chris Thompson Jr., from Duncanville, Texas, listens to a reporter's question during a media session at the 2020 Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando, Florida.Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Jamien Sherwood can’t help but see some of himself in fellow defensive back Chris Thompson Jr.

Like Sherwood when he first arrived at Auburn in 2018, Thompson is big, listed at 6-foot-1 and 202 pounds, and possesses many of the same traits — he’s strong, fast, physical and quietly goes about his business. And like Sherwood two years ago, Thompson has quickly made a case for himself to contribute in Auburn’s rotation at safety behind a pair of vaunted juniors.

As Auburn’s season-opener against Kentucky on Sept. 26 rapidly approaches and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele sorts out what has been a moving depth chart this preseason, Thompson finds himself in position to potentially be the Tigers' No. 4 safety this season behind presumptive starters Sherwood and Smoke Monday, along with senior Jordyn Peters. Thompson, a former four-star defensive back himself, is competing with senior Malcolm Askew for that coveted fourth safety spot.

“First of all, (football is) important to him; that’s what’s stood out,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “I think he’s got a really good football IQ, too…. I think he’s adjusted well.”

Thompson, an early enrollee who was set to go through spring practice with Auburn before it was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has done well in picking up the playbook as the Tigers have installed their defense at a quicker pace than usual given the unusual circumstances of this preseason. Sherwood believes it’s only a matter of time before Thompson emerges as a key piece of the Tigers' secondary — much like Sherwood himself did when he first arrived at Auburn.

“As he just keeps growing and molding into the system, keeps getting everything down -- like the meetings, practices, repetition stuff -- he’ll be great when his time comes,” Sherwood said.

As a freshman in 2018, Sherwood solidified his spot on the two-deep at safety at the onset of the season, earning the backup spot the boundary safety position behind Daniel Thomas for the season opener. He appeared in all 13 games that season, totaling 23 tackles, one interception and three pass breakups, and although he was again Thomas' backup last season, he was still considered a starter by Steele and played a healthy number of snaps on the back end of the defense.

Thompson so far this preseason has shown versatility in the secondary, with Sherwood noting that he’s talented and athletic enough to play cornerback or provide coverage inside at nickel, but his true calling so far appears to be at safety, where the Tigers can use some depth behind Sherwood and Monday. If Sherwood’s comparison holds true when games begin and Thompson matches the kind of production Sherwood had as a freshman — when he was the highest-graded freshman safety in the nation — Auburn should have itself a key piece in the secondary for years to come.

“Like I said, he reminds me somewhat of myself,” Sherwood said. “He’s outgoing, but he can be quiet. He’s like a relaxed person and a calm person. But, yeah, he is mature on the field. Like I said, he’s smart, he’s fast, he’s physical. He plays hard.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to Freshman safety pushing for role

Archived