Final projected depth chart

aubiefifty

al.com

Final projected Auburn depth chart for 2020 season

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Reckon Interview

The death of 'stick to sports': The power of college football in the South

-kddllnp9-thesouthdecides2.png

Auburn is less than two weeks from its scheduled season-opener against Kentucky, and the Tigers have officially shifted their focus to preparation for the Wildcats.

As Auburn enters the final week of preseason practices before hitting game week (and the official depth chart reveal that comes with it), AL.com takes one final attempt at projecting the Tigers' depth chart on offense, defense and special teams. The following projections are based on information gathered throughout the preseason, including last week’s interview sessions with offensive coordinator Chad Morris and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Bo Nix, sophomore

Grant Loy, grad

Cord Sandberg, junior

Chayil Garnett, freshman

Analysis: Bo Nix enters Year 2 as Auburn’s QB1, while grad transfer Grant Loy seems to be shoring up the backup job this preseason. Redshirt sophomore Cord Sandberg, now in his third year in the playbook, provides a veteran option on the depth chart.

Running back

Shaun Shivers, junior

D.J. Williams, soph.

Tank Bigsby, freshman OR

Mark-Antony Richards, redshirt freshman

Harold Joiner, redshirt sophomore

Analysis: Shaun Shivers has been talked up the most among Auburn’s running backs this preseason, and with the way Chad Morris like to use the position, it could be a real opportunity for Shivers' skillset to shine through this year. As of now, expect Shivers to be the first back on the field against Kentucky, though D.J. Williams, Tank Bigsby and Mark-Antony Richards all figure to have a role in the offense and show they’re worthy of being the lead running back as the season progresses.

H-back/TE

John Samuel Shenker, junior

Luke Deal, redshirt freshman OR

Tyler Fromm, redshirt freshman OR

Brandon Frazier, freshman OR

JJ Pegues, freshman

Analysis: John Samuel Shenker is the incumbent here, and after long being described as a potential versatile weapon on offense, his time may finally be here in Chad Morris' system, which loves to emphasize tight ends. Auburn has a stable of options at the position, and we could see two- and even three-tight end sets this season.

Split end/X/9

Seth Williams, junior

Ze’Vian Capers, freshman

J.J. Evans, freshman

Flanker/Z/2

Anthony Schwartz, junior

Kobe Hudson, freshman

Malcolm Johnson Jr., freshman

Slot/3

Eli Stove, redshirt senior

Caylin Newton, redshirt junior

Ja’Varrius Johnson, redshirt freshman

Big slot/Y/5

Shedrick Jackson, junior

Elijah Canion, freshman

Analysis: Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove return as the Tigers' top-three receivers this season, while Shedrick Jackson — an accomplished blocker at the position — has also taken a big step forward and figures to be the No. 4 guy. True freshmen Ze’Vian Capers and Kobe Hudson have also emerged this preseason and could see the field early on, while grad transfer Caylin Newton has made a seamless transition from quarterback to receiver, has versatility to play multiple receiver spots and has impressed with his tenacity and toughness on the field.

Left tackle

Austin Troxell, redshirt junior OR

Alec Jackson, redshirt junior

Kilian Zierer, junior

Left guard

Brandon Council, redshirt junior

Alec Jackson, redshirt junior

Tate Johnson, freshman

Center

Nick Brahms, redshirt junior

Brandon Council, redshirt junior

Jalil Irvin, redshirt sophomore

Avery Jernigan, freshman

Kamaar Bell, redshirt freshman

Right guard

Tashawn Manning, redshirt junior OR

Keiondre Jones, sophomore

Kam Stutts, sophomore

Right tackle

Brodarious Hamm, redshirt junior

Brenden Coffey, junior

Jeremiah Wright, freshman

Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt senior

Analysis: Auburn will look to solidify its starting five along the line this week after coaches review film from Saturday’s scrimmage. We know Nick Brahms will return at center, while Brodarious Hamm seems to have the right tackle job locked up. At left tackle, it’s down to Austin Troxell (coming off a third ACL injury) and former defensive lineman Alec Jackson. Grad transfer Brandon Council is another one who likely has secured a starting job and should man one of the two guard spots when the season opens. Council has been seen in images/footage from practice at both left and right guard, and he has flexibility to play all over the line, but I have him slotted at left guard here. Why? His experience, paired with the high IQ he brings, makes sense to help bolster the left side of the line regardless if it’s Troxell or Jackson at tackle. That leaves the other guard spot between Tashawn Manning and Keiondre Jones, though — again — the two guard positions could easily be swapped when the official depth chart is unveiled next week.

DEFENSE

Defensive end

Big Kat Bryant, senior

Colby Wooden, redshirt freshman

Jaren Handy, sophomore

Zykeivous Walker, freshman OR

Defensive tackle

Daquan Newkirk

Dre Butler, sophomore OR

Jay Hardy, freshman

Defensive tackle

Tyrone Truesdell, senior

Marquis Burks, junior

Buck

T.D. Moultry, senior OR

Derick Hall, sophomore

Caleb Johnson, redshirt sophomore OR

Daniel Foster-Allen, freshman OR

Romello Height, freshman

Analysis: Two starting spots along the line should be secure between Big Kat Bryant at defensive end and Tyrone Truesdell at defensive tackle. Daquan Newkirk seems to be the favorite to take over the other defensive tackle spot following the graduation of Derrick Brown and the recent departure of Coynis Miller Jr. The starting Buck job is a close battle between T.D. Moultry and Derick Hall. One name to keep an eye on, though, is redshirt freshman Colby Wooden, who has made a huge leap this offseason and has the flexibility to play defensive end, Buck and even move inside and play some tackle, according to defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. Don’t be shocked when Auburn reveals its official depth chart if, like last season with Nick Coe, it includes a somewhat ambiguous “outside linebacker” designation. If it does, Wooden could be listed there.

Middle/inside linebacker

K.J. Britt, senior

Wesley Steiner, freshman OR

Cam Riley, freshman

Desmond Tisdol, freshman

Kameron Brown, redshirt freshman

Outside linebacker

Owen Pappoe, sophomore

Zakoby McClain, junior

O.C. Brothers, redshirt freshman

Analysis: Auburn returns three members of its four-man linebacker rotation, with K.J. Britt and Owen Pappoe returning starters and Zakoby McClain as the next man up. Chandler Wooten opted out last month, leaving an open spot in the team’s traditional four-man rotation, and according to Steele, true freshmen Wesley Steiner and Cam Riley have emerged as the two most likely options to earn that role.

Nickelback

Christian Tutt, junior

Ladarius Tennison, freshman OR

Zion Puckett, redshirt freshman

Boundary cornerback

Roger McCreary, junior

Jaylin Simpson, redshirt freshman OR

Devan Barrett, senior

Field cornerback

Marco Domio, junior OR

Nehemiah Pritchett, sophomore OR

Devan Barrett, senior OR

Matthew Hill, redshirt sophomore OR

Jaylin Simpson, redshirt freshman

Boundary safety

Jamien Sherwood, junior

Chris Thompson Jr., freshman

Malcolm Askew, senior

Field safety

Smoke Monday, junior

Jordyn Peters, senior

Analysis: Though Auburn is replacing four of five starters in the secondary from last season, the back end of the defense is fairly clear heading into the season. Smoke Monday and Jamien Sherwood will take the helm at safety, while Roger McCreary is the new No. 1 cornerback and Christian Tutt returns as the starting nickel for another year. The second corner spot is a tight five-man battle (even more wide open than expected) between JUCO transfer Marco Domio, sophomore Nehemiah Pritchett, redshirt sophomore Matthew Hill (a converted receiver), redshirt freshman Jaylin Simpson and senior Devan Barrett. Senior Jordyn Peters has also moved back to safety thanks to the emergence of freshman Ladarius Tennison at nickel behind Tutt, while freshman Chris Thompson Jr. has climbed the depth chart at safety and figures to factor into the rotation there.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punter

Oscar Chapman, freshman OR

Aidan Marshall, junior

Kicker

Anders Carlson, redshirt junior

Evan McGuire, freshman

Long snapper

Bill Taylor, redshirt junior

Jacob Quattlebaum, redshirt sophomore

Clarke Smith, senior

Holder

Jackson McFadden, sophomore

Punt returner

Christian Tutt, junior

Mark-Antony Richards, redshirt freshman

Ja’Varrius Johnson, redshirt freshman

Kobe Hudson, freshman

Ladarius Tennison, freshman

Kick returner

Shaun Shivers, junior AND

Eli Stove, redshirt senior OR

Mark-Anthony Richards, redshirt freshman

Analysis: Anders Carlson returns for his third year as Auburn’s starting kicker, as does his battery mate at long snapper, Bill Taylor, who was sidelined toward the end of last season with a hand injury. In footage from Auburn’s second scrimmage, walk-on kicker Jackson McFadden is seen as Carlson’s holder, but Malzahn said the team is still working on figuring out that role. Christian Tutt also returns as Auburn’s primary punt returner, while a handful of younger guys also received reps at that spot. Shaun Shivers should slide into the primary kick returner role, with Malzahn saying Eli Stove and Mark-Antony Richards have also worked back there. The punting job is now a two-man race, with Australian import Oscar Chapman battling with one-time starter Aidan Marshall for the job leading up to the opener.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*everybody goes straight to OL*

*sees two ORs at first team positions*

*goes back to doing whatever*

Agreed, the rest is pretty predictable.

Running back depth charts under Gus have been useless anyways. I have to be shown not told with that position. Hopefully it's the year we rotate them really well and see results doing so. MAR and DJ will probably be 1 and 2 with rushing yards but Shiv's total yardage might be impressive. Tank will undoubtedly get his touches.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, the rest is pretty predictable.

Running back depth charts under Gus have been useless anyways. I have to be shown not told with that position. Hopefully it's the year we rotate them really well and see results doing so. MAR and DJ will probably be 1 and 2 with rushing yards but Shiv's total yardage might be impressive. Tank will undoubtedly get his touches.

I'm no insider and I don't have any direct access to the tea leaves, but I have to say I was surprised to see DJ listed 2nd with no qualifiers. But like you said, that's the least reliable part of these projections every year. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm no insider and I don't have any direct access to the tea leaves, but I have to say I was surprised to see DJ listed 2nd with no qualifiers. But like you said, that's the least reliable part of these projections every year. 

i have no access to tea leaves either but i might round up a pot leaf or two to help you out with. wiggles eyebrows per groucho marx..........

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have no access to tea leaves either but i might round up a pot leaf or two to help you out with. wiggles eyebrows per groucho marx..........

Much more interested in the flowers...

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Much more interested in the flowers...

buds for the win but it did not sound as catchy with the tea leaves thing. check out my new post in smack..........

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

In footage from Auburn’s second scrimmage, walk-on kicker Jackson McFadden is seen as Carlson’s holder, but Malzahn said the team is still working on figuring out that role.

Okay, I know I'm partial to my crush Anders but the holder is a pretty critical position to still be working on with no backup listed. What's going on here? 

Bama is obviously a good team to emulate in certain areas but their kicking game problems are not that area. :dunno:

• WarTiger changed the title to Final projected depth chart

Even if the coaches are good with the FR Hardy playing significant minutes at DT, I'd still love to see some more live bodies on the depth chart in a year where you have to prepare for injuries and quarantines. Sounds like Wooden may be able to slide to DT on some plays, and I also wonder about Handy although I think he just slimmed down to play outside. 

If Pegues is really running 5th at TE, I also wonder if there is any discussion of moving him over to have another 300 pounder.  

Archived