Jay Hardy

aubiefifty

al.com

Why Jay Hardy reminds Auburn of young Derrick Brown

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Players like Derrick Brown don’t grow on trees. The former unanimous All-America defensive tackle was a generational talent who was an impact player along Auburn’s defensive line for four seasons.

Replacing his production and talent with one player, let alone multiple, is a tall order for any team. Auburn has several players it will lean on to fill that void in the middle of its defensive line — including Daquan Newkirk, junior college transfers Marquis Burks and Dre Butler, and true freshman Zykeivous Walker — but there is one who is already drawing some early comparisons to the recent first-round NFL Draft pick: true freshman Jay Hardy.

“I feel like he’s going to be very versatile and there’s going to be a lot he can bring to the team,” senior starting defensive tackle Tyrone Truesdell said. “He reminds me a lot of how Derrick was when he came in freshman year, just seeing how he plays. Certain things really stand out to me, like how fast he can catch on. That really means a lot, especially with all of this going on. We’re going to need guys ready.”

A former four-star prospect, Hardy didn’t have quite the acclaim of Brown coming out of high school. Brown was a five-star lineman, a top-10 player nationally who was ranked No. 1 at his position and was one of the highest-rated players to ever sign with Auburn.

The 6-foot-4, 299-pound Hardy was one of the top players in the Tigers' most recent signing class, though, checking in as the 101st-best prospect in the 2020 class according to the 247Sports Composite rankings and as the nation’s No. 13 defensive tackle.

Since arriving on campus, though, the Chattanooga, Tenn., native has impressed teammates with his work ethic and natural ability as he tries to carve out an immediate role along a defensive line that traditionally rotates 10 players under defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and defensive line coach Rodney Garner. And after Auburn had to replace three key pieces from last year’s oftentimes dominant line, combined with the recent departure of interior lineman Coynis Miller Jr., the opportunity for Hardy to make an immediate impact has grown as the season draws nearer.

“I really think Jay’s coming along pretty good,” senior defensive end Big Kat Bryant said. “He reminds me of Derrick, just body type and body size. Looking at him from the back, he almost reminds me of Derrick. Just the learning process. Since everything is not usual or normal, the learning curve is a little different for him. It’s going to take a little bit more time and just extra reps. As far as just his motor and attitude, he has it all. But the only thing is he’s just got to learn everything and just come along with it.”

Even that is coming along, according to Steele, who said Hardy has been very responsive to the tough-love coaching style of Garner, who has long been known for his “de-recruitment” of players upon their arrival to campus. Garner’s approach has often been make-or-break for young defensive linemen, and Hardy’s receptiveness to it through the first four weeks of practices has also reminded Steele of Brown.

“Football is important to him,” Steele said of Hardy. “It was to Derrick. Derrick, when he was young, whatever Rodney said, he did—the harder things, too. Jay does that. He has that athleticism, that quickness and that natural power. And I think that’s probably where they draw the comparison.”

While Brown finished his career as the top defensive tackle in the nation—leading to him being drafted seventh overall by the Carolina Panthers this spring—and with a laundry list of accolades that make him one of the best defensive players to come through Auburn, holding Hardy to that standard for comparison is far from fair. Instead, it should be remembered that as a freshman, Brown appeared in just eight games as a freshman and finished the year with 11 total tackles, including 1.5 for a loss and one sack, though he did recover a fumble in his first career game against Clemson.

That’s a more reasonable baseline to judge Hardy by when trying to compare him to Brown, especially during an unusual 2020 season that will include a 10-game, SEC-only schedule being played in the midst of a pandemic. And while many will remember Brown for the undeniable impact he had on the field for the majority of his career, let’s take a look back at what was being said about the former defensive tackle over the course of his his first preseason on the Plains before he ever saw a snap in a game to perhaps temper expectations for Hardy heading into his own freshman campaign:

Montravius Adams, defensive tackle, at SEC Media Days in 2016

“Right now, I don’t do too much with him, but from the little bit that I have seen, he has to get better on a couple things, but that’s for everybody. But at the end of the day, I feel like he’ll be a great defensive lineman.”

Steele, Aug. 5, 2016

On early impressions of Brown and Marlon Davidson…

“I will say this, we have a long way to go and he’s young, but Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson, to have two guys like that in the same class is rare. That’s just a fact. I could tell you otherwise and I could try to sugarcoat it and try to mask it—they’re not this, we’ve got a long way—but the truth is they’re pretty talented. The thing about them, they’re both very emotionally mature. That’s the biggest separating factor with freshmen. There are physical specimens, there are guys that pick it up quick, but the wear and tear of a daily grind gets to them emotionally—it doesn’t faze them.”

On if Brown was working toward earning a spot in the defensive line rotation as a freshman…

“Oh, it’s too early for that; there are some pretty good players in front of him. He certainly has the characteristics physically, mentally and emotionally that, if he keeps progressing, it would not be surprising at all.”

Dontavius Russell, defensive tackle, Aug. 7, 2016

On Brown and Davidson’s performance in fall camp…

“They’ve been performing really well. I think Coach G is pleased, so that’s all that really.”

Deshaun Davis, linebacker, Aug. 9, 2016

On what makes Derrick Brown so impressive in fall camp…

“I really think he’s quick-twitch. Coach G is working on him with his hands… But I think he has the best defensive line coach you could ask for coming in as a freshman. Coach Garner is coaching him up really well and he’s taking to it.”

Steele, Aug. 11, 2016

“Putting that all together, Derrick Brown is another guy that’s starting to show flashes of a young guy.”

Devaroe Lawrence, defensive tackle, Aug. 13, 2016

“He’s just real talented. He’ll be talented for years to come for his team here. I mean, he’s just going to continue to grow, especially under Coach G.”

On what has most impressed about Brown…

“Powerful. Big, powerful dude.”

Adams, Aug. 15, 2016

On if he thinks Brown can help out as a freshman…

“I really do. Just seeing him being out there and really just the strength standpoint. You know, like coming in as a freshman everyone has to learn the techniques of the game, but coming in just playing like with pure athleticism, I think the sky’s the limit. I think he did real good at practice.”

On if freshman Brown is better than freshman Adams…

“I would say knowing the game, I would say he was. You know, I just feel like if we were out there the same time as freshmen, I just feel like I’ll probably get to play first. But just knowing the game, though, and being able to take Coach G’s coaching and doing all of the little things, I would say he’s ahead of the curve.”

Russell, Aug. 20, 2016

On Brown’s progress… “Derrick Brown’s doing well. He’s doing real good.” On if he sees some of himself in Brown… “I mean he’s his own person, I’m my own person. But he’s doing well and I’m doing well so I guess you could say that.”

Alex Kozan, offensive lineman, Aug. 20, 2016

On if Brown is difficult to block in practice…

“He’s still learning, but he’s very talented, very quick off the ball. Big body. He’s going to be really, really good…. He’s a good player. He’ll be good.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to Jay Hardy

Archived