preparing to solidify offensive line starters

aubiefifty

Auburn prepares to solidify offensive line starters

By Giana Han

After weeks where Auburn’s offensive line got to know its new offensive line coach and offensive coordinator and the coaches evaluated the untried players they had to work with, the team is finally read to solidify the depth chart.

“Over this next scrimmage, we’ve just got to find and try to solidify our five that we want to go in there with and try to put those five together and let’s build some continuity,” said Auburn’s new offensive coordinator Chad Morris. Auburn’s next scheduled scrimmage is Saturday.

The entire offense is a work in progress, Morris said, but the offensive line is coming along despite having to start almost from scratch.

In an effort to create competition, Auburn doesn’t name any player as a definite starter despite past experience. Some players may be ahead, but everyone must battle. But the offensive line’s depth chart was even less definite than the rest of the team’s.

Only center Nick Brahms stood out as a player with significant SEC game experience. He was the only starter to return from the 2019 season, and even then he only started for less than half the season.

He, along with the rest of the team, had to start from the beginning as they learned the way that Jack Bicknell, their new coach, wanted to do things. Bicknell brings a more NFL-type approach to the game, Brahms said, and coaches with intensity.

“There are very specific techniques that you have to do,” Brahms said. “Get your hat in the right place. Move your feet. Drive your knees. Get your hands in the right place.”

Bicknell also has them running every day after practice, something the offensive line has never had to do before. Brahms said it’s good for them.

Through the practices and scrimmages, Brahms has seen seven or eight guys who seem like they could contribute. Brandon Council and Brodarious Hamm have stood out the most to him, as well as to Morris.

A transfer from Akron, Council brings starting experience from a different conference, as well as intelligence on the field. Council has the ability to play all five positions and has played snaps at tackle, guard and even center when Brahms was out. He’s someone with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, Hamm said.

“That’s what I like about him,” Hamm said.

Meanwhile, Hamm is a physical specimen that Auburn’s defense has continuously mentioned as an up and coming player. Defensive lineman Big Kat Bryant said he has to go up against Hamm every day, and he’s stood out. Safety Smoke Monday said Hamm’s leadership on the line is going to help it “prove a lot of people wrong.”

So far, Brahms has been taking his snaps at center, while Hamm is spending most of his time at right tackle. Council has played guard as well as left tackle.

Behind Brahms, Jalil Irvin has emerged as a possible second-string center. However, Kam Bell and Avery Jernigan are competing for the spot as well, Brahms said.

On Brahms' right side, Tashawn Manning and Keiondre Jones are battling for the guard position. Both are talented, Brahms said. Council and Alec Jackson are switching around on Brahm’s left.

Jackson has also been showing promise at the tackle position, according to Morris. They want more consistency from him, but he’s had a good camp overall. Austin Troxell is also competing for that position. Troxell, who has overcome two ACL tears, has emerged as a leader for the room, and he can play guard as well.

The faces around Brahms have been rotating a lot throughout camp, partially because players are out and partially because Auburn needs players to train at multiple positions. However, the shuffle will start to settle down after Saturday when the coaches start making decisions.

I don't like that the names I've heard whispers about in a good way keep changing. Maybe that just means iron really is sharpening iron but the other way to look at it is that nobody is consistently standing out. I dunno. We'll see.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't like that the names I've heard whispers about in a good way keep changing. Maybe that just means iron really is sharpening iron but the other way to look at it is that nobody is consistently standing out. I dunno. We'll see.

Depth 

• WarTiger changed the title to preparing to solidify offensive line starters

i think coach bic is lighting a fire under the o line. lol anyone get that? he is a pro guy and is no no nonsense kinda guy. the fact he is making them run after practice tends to give me hope.

Archived