OC Morris wants offense to be 'most explosive'

aubiefifty

al.com

OC Morris wants Auburn's offense to be 'most explosive'

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Chad Morris fall camp

Aubrun offensive coordinator Chad Morris looks on during practice on Sept. 8. Morris took over the Tigers' offense this offseason. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Chad Morris had to pick himself off the mat and dust himself off in the last year.

His first Power Five head coaching gig went up in flames at Arkansas, where he was fired after just 22 games last November. He landed at Auburn, where he took over as offensive coordinator under longtime friend and confidant Gus Malzahn in December only to see his first spring on the Plains derailed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He had to adjust, installing his offense over virtual meetings via Zoom — a tool he hadn’t even heard of until mid-March — and an unusual offseason that saw the start of the 2020 campaign pushed back several weeks with a revamped, SEC-only schedule.

“It’s been some challenging times,” Morris said. “That’s something you try to teach your own kids in life, that when things go bad and don’t go the way you planned, you pick yourself up and dust yourself off, and you don’t flinch. That’s the great thing about this game, is that it teaches you those valuable lessons. It’s been great. I’m telling you, I’ve been extremely excited to just get back out on the field coaching a position, coaching the offense and really just getting involved in being a part of that development and watching this team, watching the growth happen every day.”

Morris' official return to the field as an offensive play-caller will come Sept. 26, when Auburn opens the season at home against Kentucky. With a little more than two weeks to go until Morris' Auburn debut, the first-year coordinator laid out his main goal for the Tigers this season.

“We want to be the most explosive offense in the country,” Morris said. “That is our goal. We’re going to do everything we can to do that.”

There’s no strict definition of what constitutes an “explosive play” or a standardized stat across football, but one way to think of it is as a chunk play — usually a run of at least 15 yards or a pass play of at least 20 yards. It’s an area that Auburn’s offense has lacked in each of the last two seasons but has been stronger in during the Tigers' most successful offensive seasons of the Malzahn era — in 2013, 2014 and 2017.

Auburn averaged just 5.58 yards per play last season (83rd nationally), which was the second-worst output of the Malzahn era. The Tigers also finished in the bottom half of the SEC in explosive play percentage (11.75 percent), according to SEC StatCat.

Last season, Auburn ranked 78th nationally in passing plays of at least 20 yards with just 38 such plays, but talking to players during fall camp, they expect that number to increase in 2020 under Morris.

Redshirt-senior receiver Eli Stove expects Auburn to throw the ball more this season, which makes sense given Morris' propensity for favoring a more pass-heavy attack compared to Malzahn’s run-first, play-action tendencies. Stove and Seth Williams, the Tigers' No. 1 receiver, both anticipate a considerable increase in explosive pass plays—both in terms of downfield and intermediate pass attempts and plays like Shaun Shivers' 80-yard touchdown reception on a quick pass during last weekend’s scrimmage.

“We’re very excited,” Stove said. “We have a lot of explosive plays. Coach Morris is bringing in a lot of good plays and deep balls and intermediate plays to get everybody open. We’re really excited in the receiver room right now.”

Chad Morris and Bo Nix

But the Tigers will look to get more of those big plays in the running game, too, especially after finishing last season with just 72 explosive runs and a 14.37 percent explosive run rate, which was bottom-three in the conference, according to SEC StatCat. That includes just 17 runs of at least 20 yards, which ranked 61st nationally as Auburn failed to produce a 1,000-yard rusher for the second consecutive season.

“We’re here for explosive plays and to get the playmakers the football,” Shivers said. “The offense is real good.”

Morris' plan to increase those numbers and make Auburn among the most explosive offenses in the country will be dependent on many variables—including the progression of Bo Nix, the consistency of a retooled offensive line and a deep-but-unproven group of running backs. But with Morris' offensive acumen and a desire for the ability to change tempo and cause stress on opposing defenses, the first-year offensive coordinator is confident the Tigers can make that leap this fall.

“We want to be the best Auburn football team we can possibly be,” Morris said. “… I believe with the way that we do things and being able to get guys moved all over the field and put them in space, I think we have an opportunity to be extremely explosive.”

Chad Morris bowl practice

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

One thing that I have been reading is that he is teaching the receivers to be interchangeable. and the same for the RB's. That means we don't have to swap people to run a particular play which has two advantageous one it keeps it more up tempo and two the other team doesn't know which play that will be run because of the personnel on the field.  

Just making that change automatically improves the offense mix that in with intermediate and passes to WR's and RB's and quick hits to RB's and TE and we have the potential to be what he says.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

One thing that I have been reading is that he is teaching the receivers to be interchangeable. and the same for the RB's. That means we don't have to swap people to run a particular play

Back to that checklist of things we've been asking for for over 5 years...

I've been saying this in the recruiting threads. Look at the WRs we're going after. There's no "little slot" guy, no "this" guy or "that" guy. They're just about all 6'1-6'4, 185-205 all-purpose NFL prototype receivers. Guys that look and run like the (three!) first-rounders he had at Clemson.  They look like the all-purpose NFL prototype receivers that LSU and bama have been cranking out for years. Will they know their assignments, run good routes and catch the ball? Remains to be seen. But change is afoot and that's all we can hope for right now. 

• WarTiger changed the title to OC Morris wants offense to be 'most explosive'

Anxious to see if this will truly be Morris' offense. Will CGM let Morris run it his way? Will the offensive line be better? To be better and more explosive, all those things have to happen. 

24 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Anxious to see if this will truly be Morris' offense. Will CGM let Morris run it his way? Will the offensive line be better? To be better and more explosive, all those things have to happen. 

I’m sure Gus will let Chad do his thing. They run the same offense, there’s not much difference between what they both do. Only difference is there will be a few more passes a game and the OL will probably be on par with last years if I had to guess 

43 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

This will be the best of both worlds for the Gus bashers. If it works, all hail Morris. If it fails, Gus meddled. I really don't care, I just want AU to win games.

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

One thing that I have been reading is that he is teaching the receivers to be interchangeable. and the same for the RB's. That means we don't have to swap people to run a particular play which has two advantageous one it keeps it more up tempo and two the other team doesn't know which play that will be run because of the personnel on the field.  

Just making that change automatically improves the offense mix that in with intermediate and passes to WR's and RB's and quick hits to RB's and TE and we have the potential to be what he says.

Interchangeability is an advantage, at least on the surface. The problem is getting it done. Such flexibility requires a lot more practice and repetition and we missed all of Spring practice. Let's hope it can be made to work.

We need to get back to more HUNH, no matter whose idea it is. The offensive records we've set since Malzahn arrived at AU were primarily accomplished when we used our hurry up mode for most of the plays.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, Sizzle said:

They run the same offense, there’s not much difference between what they both do. Only difference is there will be a few more passes a game and the OL will probably be on par with last years if I had to guess 

They run the same offense, but there are many differences in how they run it. 

For example, we might throw a few more passes a game, but the biggest differences will be who we throw it to, and what kind of routes and passes our guys are running and catching. The TEs will be part of the passing attach. The RBs will catch more passes and more than just screens. WRs will not be hyper-specialized like they always have been under Gus. There won't be the screen guy and the deep threat guy and the blocking guy. (Even Shed Jackson is being spoken of as a potential play maker.) We'll throw more quick slants and intermediate balls, inside and outside. We won't have the same tendencies to run long-developing deep ball plays on downs and distances that make no sense. 

Also, there will likely be a lot more pre-snap motion. 

No clue about the OL. I keep hearing different things.

Gonna be hard for Gus to stay hands-off on game day, and if the offense isn't running smoothly quickly, I fear he might not give Chad a chance to get it right. But the players are very excited about the changes Chad has already implemented- even the defensive players- and he has already put a very distinct stamp on how we're recruiting on offense. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They run the same offense, but there are many differences in how they run it. 

For example, we might throw a few more passes a game, but the biggest differences will be who we throw it to, and what kind of routes and passes our guys are running and catching. The TEs will be part of the passing attach. The RBs will catch more passes and more than just screens. WRs will not be hyper-specialized like they always have been under Gus. There won't be the screen guy and the deep threat guy and the blocking guy. (Even Shed Jackson is being spoken of as a potential play maker.) We'll throw more quick slants and intermediate balls, inside and outside. We won't have the same tendencies to run long-developing deep ball plays on downs and distances that make no sense. 

Also, there will likely be a lot more pre-snap motion. 

No clue about the OL. I keep hearing different things.

Gonna be hard for Gus to stay hands-off on game day, and if the offense isn't running smoothly quickly, I fear he might not give Chad a chance to get it right. But the players are very excited about the changes Chad has already implemented- even the defensive players- and he has already put a very distinct stamp on how we're recruiting on offense. 

Nah tbh I think Gus gone stay hands off for the most part I mean he’s an offensive coach so he’s gone have some input but mostly I think he’ll stay away. He trusts Chad.

But I feel like people think we gone have these changes and we’re going to go out there and look something like LSU of last year.

i just think people need to pump the brakes a little. Because as soon as we go our first few drives without scoring this board is gone start overreacting saying Gus ain’t letting Chad do his thing.

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Nah tbh I think Gus gone stay hands off for the most part I mean he’s an offensive coach so he’s gone have some input but mostly I think he’ll stay away. He trusts Chad.

But I feel like people think we gone have these changes and we’re going to go out there and look something like LSU of last year.

i just think people need to pump the brakes a little. Because as soon as we go our first few drives without scoring this board is gone start overreacting saying Gus ain’t letting Chad do his thing.

Execution of the offense is a different conversation. I think most fans will be smart enough to notice the difference if the plays that aren't working look different than the ones that haven't worked in the past. 

Pump the brakes on expectations for success, sure. But every indication- most notably quotes from the players themselves- suggests that the offense is going to look different.

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Execution of the offense is a different conversation. I think most fans will be smart enough to notice the difference if the plays that aren't working look different than the ones that haven't worked in the past. 

Pump the brakes on expectations for success, sure. But every indication- most notably quotes from the players themselves- suggests that the offense is going to look different.

I feel like players kind of say the same thing every year. Also we all need to remember this year has been different with everything that’s going on so we’re more than likely gonna come out looking really rough to start the season. 

Just now, Sizzle said:

I feel like players kind of say the same thing every year. Also we all need to remember this year has been different with everything that’s going on so we’re more than likely gonna come out looking really rough to start the season. 

Eh, we always do under Gus. And while the irregular offseason might hinder offensive execution, I think that defensive conditioning will also be an issue and we might see that offset early offensive issues later in games. Could be wrong.

As for what the players say each year, you might be right. I feel like I'm hearing different things this year, but this is the time each year where my glasses get real O&B. Part of it this year is that I'm just really fired up about our skill players right now and I want so badly for them to be used efficiently. 

Honest question that is off-topic, or topic-adjacent at best: Does anyone remember seeing a depth chart at our skill positions quite like what we've got right now? Like, we've got a Worm at RB AND a Flash at WR. (AND a Jet Johnson.) Plenty has been said about TE/H. But, like, we've got a dude who weighs 300 lbs and can evidently do really cool stuff with the ball in his hands, and he could end up as the Brandon Jacobs of the TE room (except he will likely have a big role for us)??? Did I mention we're legit 4-deep at RB... not counting Harold freaking Joiner?? Can anyone even name all the 4* WRs on the roster? Hint, there are 7 of them, and none of those 7 are Cam Newton's little brother or Bo Jackson's nephew, both of whom are rumored to be practicing well and cementing big roles in the rotation. 

Sorry. Too much coffee. But even though we've talked a lot about each position group individually, I'm not sure we've really embraced the collective potential.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh, we always do under Gus. And while the irregular offseason might hinder offensive execution, I think that defensive conditioning will also be an issue and we might see that offset early offensive issues later in games. Could be wrong.

As for what the players say each year, you might be right. I feel like I'm hearing different things this year, but this is the time each year where my glasses get real O&B. Part of it this year is that I'm just really fired up about our skill players right now and I want so badly for them to be used efficiently. 

Honest question that is off-topic, or topic-adjacent at best: Does anyone remember seeing a depth chart at our skill positions quite like what we've got right now? Like, we've got a Worm at RB AND a Flash at WR. (AND a Jet Johnson.) Plenty has been said about TE/H. But, like, we've got a dude who weighs 300 lbs and can evidently do really cool stuff with the ball in his hands, and he could end up as the Brandon Jacobs of the TE room (except he will likely have a big role for us)??? Did I mention we're legit 4-deep at RB... not counting Harold freaking Joiner?? Can anyone even name all the 4* WRs on the roster? Hint, there are 7 of them, and none of those 7 are Cam Newton's little brother or Bo Jackson's nephew, both of whom are rumored to be practicing well and cementing big roles in the rotation. 

Sorry. Too much coffee. But even though we've talked a lot about each position group individually, I'm not sure we've really embraced the collective potential.

If I see any pass(and more than 1 a game) that goes to a TE down the seam or on a slant then I know the passing game is different.

If I see a RB catch a pass past the line of scrimmage (other than a wheel route), then I know the passing is different.

If I see a WR catch passes running different routes other than what GUs would call in the past(the only play the WR goes in for, then comes back out), then I know the passing game is different.

I am looking forward to a more diverse offense. The only problem I see is with not having a spring practice, it will be harder for a new OC and OL coach to come in and expect the players to be efficient running the new plays in their new roles. I am expecting early miscommunications.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I am expecting early miscommunications.

For sure. But I think that will affect most teams equally. Even though we're changing the OC and have a lot of new faces on the OL, it's huge that we're getting our QB and center back. Good bit of experience at the other skill positions. Most of our competition will be starting new QBs this season. LSU has new everything. uga has a lot of turnover, too, and their offense wasn't even particularly good last year. We're in a good spot I think.

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For sure. But I think that will affect most teams equally. Even though we're changing the OC and have a lot of new faces on the OL, it's huge that we're getting our QB and center back. Good bit of experience at the other skill positions. Most of our competition will be starting new QBs this season. LSU has new everything. uga has a lot of turnover, too, and their offense wasn't even particularly good last year. We're in a good spot I think.

Georgia will, more than anyone, make up for their offensive/qb deficiencies with arguably the best defense in the country. If we can score on that defense then watch out baby.

13 minutes ago, toddc said:

Georgia will, more than anyone, make up for their offensive/qb deficiencies with arguably the best defense in the country. If we can score on that defense then watch out baby.

So excited to get that one out of the way early. And perfectly happy for it to be in Athens when there will be virtually nobody in the stands. 

On 9/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, Mikey said:

We need to get back to more HUNH, no matter whose idea it is. The offensive records we've set since Malzahn arrived at AU were primarily accomplished when we used our hurry up mode for most of the plays.

It can't work in today's game like it did early in Gus' tenure. The rules and defenses have adjusted to slow it down

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gonna be hard for Gus to stay hands-off on game day, and if the offense isn't running smoothly quickly, I fear he might not give Chad a chance to get it right.

This is the single most important issue before this Auburn team. If CGM will leave it alone, I believe the team will progress during the season. If he doesn't then, deja vu. All this being said, I expect the offense to struggle against a pretty good Kentucky defense. New offensive line, mostly inexperienced running back group, brand new offense, no spring practice, five starters out for Covid, and defenses usually have the advantage early in the season. Not sure if we can get a win out of this one or not, especially with (80%) of the fans missing which might dramatically reduce the home field advantage. I believe it is going to be tough game.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It can't work in today's game like it did early in Gus' tenure. The rules and defenses have adjusted to slow it down

Perhaps to an extent. Miami's HUNH had UAB's defense dragging the other night.

30 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

This is the single most important issue before this Auburn team. If CGM will leave it alone, I believe the team will progress during the season. If he doesn't then, deja vu. All this being said, I expect the offense to struggle against a pretty good Kentucky defense. New offensive line, mostly inexperienced running back group, brand new offense, no spring practice, five starters out for Covid, and defenses usually have the advantage early in the season. Not sure if we can get a win out of this one or not, especially with (80%) of the fans missing which might dramatically reduce the home field advantage. I believe it is going to be tough game.

My only hope with the weird off-season is that the defense isn't in game shape yet and the offense can work a little bit more in the fourth quarter. Of course, that will go both ways.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I know Syracuse had a lot of success two years ago going fast.  I almost wonder if Muschamp got in Gus’s head too much about the speed.  I think more than speed it’s the ability to not sub and make the defense stay on the field.  If Auburn can utilize the RPO successfully and do what we did with NM and run 4-5 different running plays with the same formation and then light up the defense with a well timed play action pass then you can definitely go “fast”.  Having packages where the RBs go out for passes and Auburn actually throws to a tight end opens up that sort of package even more. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We won't have the same tendencies to run long-developing deep ball plays on downs and distances that make no sense.

No more Statue of Liberty? Say it isn't so.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gonna be hard for Gus to stay hands-off on game day, and if the offense isn't running smoothly quickly, I fear he might not give Chad a chance to get it right.

lcvB9dz.gif

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

No more Statue of Liberty? Say it isn't so.

lcvB9dz.gif

I missed the fake end around long bombs last year.  I really like the fake end around screen pass that we ran in 2017 with Kerryon and that I saw the Giants run with Saquan tonight.  “Is this the play where I run down field and look lost Mox”

Archived