These guys again...

SaturdayGT

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

She states that the black community glorifies them as part of their culture of failure. It's an equivalence. 

She believes some do and that is what contributes to her idea of a culture of failure.

12 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

They have some very good points, but in my opinion they undermine themselves. Not just with my concerns listed above. It's one of the last lines that disturbs me most. "Most of all we refuse to be bullied by #BlackLivesMatter to compromise our faith in Jesus Christ and groupthink." I'm not sure why anyone would be proud to say they are part of a group think mentality, unless this is an organization or something I'm not aware of? Even if it is, that would be a highly suspect name. Group think by necessity negates the individual opinion and prevents any flexibility. It implies the smothering of any dissent or questions, which you would think would be anathema to those supporting a Republic.

I'm actually willing to believe a grammatical error on that- that she meant to include "groupthink" with BLM and not what is being compromised. My issues were with other parts, but probably little value in bringing them up here.

I do believe that she has very real and justified grievances in her position. But I'm not impressed with her takeaways. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, exactly. She's drawing an equivalence. 

Maybe in the light that both are contributing factors, but not in the equivalence of saying atheist or homosexuals are criminals.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Maybe in the light that both are contributing factors, but not in the equivalence of saying atheist or homosexuals are criminals.

She brought up each group as equally unworthy of praise. It is a stupid and awful idea that does in fact compromise the woman's overall judgment.

(Furthermore, she exhibits the exact same lack of empathy that her entire rant is intended to decry. But I get it. She's mostly made all the right decisions and she hasn't been rewarded for it. She deserves to be mad. I wonder if anyone protesting excessive force by police against black Americans can relate.)

7 hours ago, bigbird said:
8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

She states that the black community glorifies them as part of their culture of failure. It's an equivalence. 

She believes some do and that is what contributes to her idea of a culture of failure.

Who is SHE?  Mr. Hampton wrote the article on behalf of his family.  Did you think it was MRS. Hampton?  Okay.  But if the "SHE" is me...then watch it.  No wonder folks stay confused on here!  Each of us who posts an article believes everything it says inherently?  That is how the Politics forum works on AUFamily?  Mea maxima culpa.  All views matter...until they don't.  But inaccuracy in assumption that just because something is posted means that every point is agreed with by the poster...turns a "forum" into a cesspool.  

Let. Me. Spell. It. Out.  We can't say that Black Lives Matter until we recognize that, like the Latino culture, one size doesn't fit all.  There have been plenty of articles shared about BLM--the movement, and thoughts from white folks about what THEY THINK Black Lives Matter means.  But we'd be hard-pressed to find on this forum any articles from the mouths of BLACK PEOPLE telling their views on BLM--the movement and any deeper issues that THEY BELIEVE are behind it all.  That's what the Hampton article is for.  I really, really, really care more about what BLACK PEOPLE have to say about these issues than "Woke Whites."  I'm giving my life, time, and energy to make a difference to change things for the better in the trenches of the struggling-but-improving Montgomery Public School system, for all kids, but especially for minorities.  I'm doing the work. And we should be learning and seeing that the views in the African-American community are very, very diverse.  To respect their valid issues is to hear from them--inside and OUTSIDE this forum--as individuals without stereotyping them.

If I am the SHE you are mentioning, sorry to disappoint you.  I did cringe with some of the article, but it didn't negate the worth of sharing.  I guess the question each should ask himself/herself is, why does it strike such a nerve?

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Did you think it was MRS. Hampton?

Yes. Not sure why I thought that. 

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

We can't say that Black Lives Matter until we recognize that, like the Latino culture, one size doesn't fit all.

Who specifically do you think needs to hear this? 

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

But we'd be hard-pressed to find on this forum any articles from the mouths of BLACK PEOPLE telling their views on BLM--the movement and any deeper issues that THEY BELIEVE are behind it all.

Well, our black forum members spoke their own thoughts quite a bit awhile back, but they quickly got tired of the people they interacted with on here. 

12 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I really, really, really care more about what BLACK PEOPLE have to say about these issues than "Woke Whites." 

So do I. That's why I speak directly with black people about these issues. "Woke Whites" though... kinda sounds derisive used the way you do here?

But yeah, if you're going to post something without any additional commentary, it's going to read as an implicit endorsement of the contents. 

46 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes. Not sure why I thought that. 

Who specifically do you think needs to hear this? 

Well, our black forum members spoke their own thoughts quite a bit awhile back, but they quickly got tired of the people they interacted with on here. 

So do I. That's why I speak directly with black people about these issues. "Woke Whites" though... kinda sounds derisive used the way you do here?

But yeah, if you're going to post something without any additional commentary, it's going to read as an implicit endorsement of the contents. 

When I learned (quickly) that one could never "additionally comment" enough without setting off a firestorm, I decided to let the actual words speak for themselves.  The specific article WAS in quotes, though.

I couldn't and wouldn't presume to state who needs to hear it.  Let the shoe fit as it will.  

It's too often assumed that people on another side of the issue AREN'T speaking with Black people about these issues.  But we can't lump any race based upon who we do or don't know.  Hence the opposite view presented.  Tora to Loof, you and I both have uber-sensitive hearts to the plight of the underdog.  I know we are doing the work, even if we come at it from opposite sides.  But on both sides, there are lots of pontificates from the basements and the benches.  They don't operate in worlds that would cause them to genuinely take the time to learn another perspective, but they will legislate and harangue like a pro. I hope this makes sense.

Derisive...take it anyway you will.  Not everyone tries to hear both sides and honestly sift and keep the grain of truth inherent.

I love our Black forum members.  Friends outside of this forum in some cases, with great conversations and lots of encouragement, back and forth.  I respect the fact that I will NEVER fully understand...but many will also never fully understand how a person of color can have an opposite view of the mainstream push...which leads me to KNOW that the things that divide go much, much further than skin color.  And that's been my point all along.

Archived