college footballs 2020 mystery team

aubiefifty

I'm getting tired of hearing this phrase "yet again" when referring to Auburn's potential of cracking into the elite status of college football.

This seems to be our theme almost every year since Gus has been here. 

Now that I thought about it longer...'I guess it could be worse' (there i go again with more phrasing when talking Auburn football) :)

If the Oline and Dline show up watch out.  If they don’t also watch out.  I still think 2021 is the season but if things fall right this years team could be pretty good.

My annual AU prediction: Somewhere between an SEC West title and a 5 loss season. 😅🦅

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

So Helter Skelter. The type of team who can beat the a national championship caliber team but also lose to the likes of Minnesota. And the fan base are conditioned to think this is normal. 

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

This seems to be our theme almost every year since Gus has been here. 

Maybe we should switch from Gus Bus to...

Screenshot_20200908-184419~2.png

I don’t completely agree with the premise or the breakdown. There were high expectations in 2014, 2015, and 2018. Those years ended up possibly being our weakest teams. There were low expectations in 2013, 2016 (not a great year, but we did play in the sugar bowl and might have ended with a good record if not for White’s injuries), and 2017. And those years ended up being pretty good. The lone exception is that I think we actually were at expectations (or maybe just exceeded them a little) last year (although some folks had lofty expectations with a freshman at QB). 

Oddly enough though, this is the year I have no idea objectively what to make of it. There’s a good chance our defensive line doesn’t miss a beat, but they could be bad this year without 3 and 5. The defense as a whole has been at least pretty good every year we’ve had Steele. But we replace a lot across the defense. Bo Nix could turn a corner as he’s expected to do, or maybe he hasn’t progressed at all. The confusion over our number 1 running back could be a sign that they are all really good or it could be a sign that nobody has separated themself as a quality starter. The Chad Morris experiment could be the best thing that happens to Auburn’s offense, looking as good as he did when he was at Clemson. Or he could be past his prime, and the new scheme falls flat. Most of what (little) we are hearing sounds very positive. But how much of it is true?

There were really high expectations when we Auburn was pre-season #1 in 2003, and we laid an egg with at least 3 future NFL RB's on the roster, a future NFL QB and several future NFL WR's, OL, DL, LB's and DB's. 

We've been down this road before. Sometimes we do well with brand new OC's (Petrino, Borges, Malzahn, etc...) and sometimes we face-plant (Nallsminger...shudder....Tony F, and possibly the worst...Loeffler).

If you've been an Auburn fan for 10+ years, then you have grown thick skin and a cast iron stomach...but still have left room to be grumpy when things don't pan out.  🤪

14 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

If you've been an Auburn fan for 10+ years, then you have grown thick skin and a cast iron stomach...but still have left room to be grumpy when things don't pan out.  🤪

Wait till you've been one for 50 years. It's still just as puzzling but I guess it's like your children, you love them when they are good and when they've been bad. 

• WarTiger changed the title to college footballs 2020 mystery team

The SEC West is just plain tough.  There's no margin of error and it's not all that far between the top and bottom.  We go 0-8 one year, add a QB and win a national championship. It's always going to be like that.  You need a few breaks, and you have to stay healthy.  We seem to amazingly have at least an adequate (and maybe better) offensive line, but a few guys go down there, and we are hurtin for certain.  Bo has to stay healthy and we don't have a lot of depth at corner either.  Most teams are like that. We ain't Clemson yet, but they wouldn't be Clemson either if they had our schedule. I like where we are.

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Wait till you've been one for 50 years. It's still just as puzzling but I guess it's like your children, you love them when they are good and when they've been bad. 

You got me on that one. I've been one for almost 30 years.  (I was a lowly Bammer before I knew any better. A real knuckle-dragger) ;) 

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

AU fan since 1972, and that sentence from your post is so on target that if we were at a firing range, ten shots would all go in the same hole.

War Eagle!

I e-mailed Josh, but I remember the Jackson Clarion-Ledger SEC prediction preview in 2004 and it was just "It's AU, they could go undefeated, or go winless, nothing would surprise us".  Even the Vandy prediction had more than one line. 

Don't have the miles of you baws, but pushing 25 years as a fan/grad.  Same thing.  

Definitely!!!  AU is historically the most unpredictable team in the country.  Being AU family is a wild ride like no other!  We have been on both sides of some of the most memorable plays ever, craziest games ever, and wackiest seasons ever!  Normal is the only thing that isn’t normal around here.  #jaba

23 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

My annual AU prediction: Somewhere between an SEC West title and a 5 loss season. 😅🦅

There is no between - this is an either/or prospect for AU...

I know we have had quite a few seasons that were supposed to be the 2004 to a 2003, and its probably more realistic that 2021 would be the 2004 with this being 2003, but....this could be 2004 and last season could be 2003 

yknow?

So, just curious, Since CGM typically (not always) wins around 70% of his games, that would suggest this season (if it goes along with his normal percentage), would mean Auburn would win 70% of it;s games.

In a 10 game season, that would mean 3 losses. Most likely we would expect losses to Bama, UGA and LSU. Of course, this is just "History of Gus". I'm waiting for Auburn to break that trend, especially with Morris as OC.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, gr82be said:

Maybe we should switch from Gus Bus to...

Screenshot_20200908-184419~2.png

Never!

31239C1D-F3C3-4221-B980-013C0DFF10FC.jpeg

Some of y’all are acting like this is Gus related just so you can throw out some sort of tired, generic joke. This is what happens and has happened to literally every coach at AU in the last 40 years at least. Even Dye lost some games we shouldn’t have that cost us a Natty or two. It happens. The JABA thing is kinda played out at times but it is definitely real. I don’t have an answer for why but it’s way beyond who is or isn’t the HC at a particular point in our history. I think it’s a mixture of several things actually. 

Archived