Projected depth chart midway through preseason

aubiefifty

al.com

Projected Auburn depth chart midway through preseason

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

8-11 minutes

Auburn opened preseason practices three weeks ago, and the Tigers have three weeks of preparation remaining before their season opener Sept. 26 at home against Kentucky.

Auburn has only been able to hold 10 practices during that time, thanks to a slew of positive COVID-19 test results that brought Week 2 of fall camp to a halt, but it has still provided the program with a chance to evaluate its players and get through a pair of scrimmages. So, as we’ve reached the midway point of the preseason, AL.com is making another attempt at projecting Auburn’s depth chart based off the information we’ve gathered through the first three weeks of practices.

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Bo Nix, sophomore

Grant Loy, grad

Cord Sandberg, junior

Chayil Garnett, freshman

Analysis: Nix is the clear-cut starter, and it seems as though graduate transfer Grant Loy has quickly made a case for the backup job. He has more experience than any of the other quarterbacks behind Nix, and he received the second-most reps during the team’s most recent scrimmage.

Running back

Shaun Shivers, junior OR

D.J. Williams, soph.

Tank Bigsby, freshman OR

Mark-Antony Richards, redshirt freshman

Harold Joiner, redshirt sophomore

Analysis: Williams was limited the first week of practice, while the team’s Week 2 was derailed by COVID-19 positive cases, so this last week was his first full week back in action. He and Shivers have received ample first-team reps, including in Saturday’s scrimmage, with Shivers breaking off an 80-yard touchdown reception. They remain atop the depth chart for now, but Cadillac Williams has been rotating the running backs often, and freshmen Mark-Antony Richards and Tank Bigsby have received plenty of praise this preseason.

H-back/TE

John Samuel Shenker, junior

Luke Deal, redshirt freshman OR

Tyler Fromm, redshirt freshman OR

Brandon Frazier, freshman OR

JJ Pegues, freshman

Analysis: Shenker is the incumbent here, and after long being described as a potential versatile weapon on offense, his time may finally be here in Chad Morris’ system, which loves to emphasize tight ends. Auburn has a stable of options at the position, and we could see two- and even three-tight end sets this season.

Split end/X/9

Seth Williams, junior

Ze’Vian Capers, freshman OR

J.J. Evans, freshman

Flanker/Z/2

Anthony Schwartz, junior

Kobe Hudson, freshman OR

Malcolm Johnson Jr., freshman

Slot/3

Eli Stove, redshirt senior

Caylin Newton, redshirt junior

Ja’Varrius Johnson, redshirt freshman

Big slot/Y/5

Shedrick Jackson, junior

Elijah Canion, freshman

Analysis: Williams, Schwartz and Stove are pretty much locked in as the team’s top-three receivers, while Jackson — who saw the field plenty but was not much of a factor in the passing game — provides a strong option at the fourth receiver spot. Newton, a grad transfer from Howard who used to play quarterback, has impressed teammates with his transition to receiver (and even ran through a defensive back in a recent practice) and could emerge as another weapon for the Tigers. Johnson, a 2021 recruit who committed to Auburn last month and then reclassified to the 2020 class, has been cleared and will practice with Auburn for the first time this week.

Left tackle

Austin Troxell, redshirt junior

Alec Jackson, redshirt junior

Kilian Zierer, junior

Left guard

Brandon Council, redshirt junior

Alec Jackson, redshirt junior

Tate Johnson, freshman

Center

Nick Brahms, redshirt junior

Brandon Council, redshirt junior

Jalil Irvin, redshirt sophomore

Avery Jernigan, freshman

Kamaar Bell, redshirt freshman

Right guard

Tashawn Manning, redshirt junior

Keiondre Jones, sophomore

Kam Stutts, sophomore

Right tackle

Brodarious Hamm, redshirt junior

Brenden Coffey, junior

Jeremiah Wright, freshman

Prince Michael Sammons, redshirt senior

Analysis: Through 10 practices, Auburn’s offensive line is taking shape, even as the coaching staff wants to identify a top-10 in the trenches to determine depth during an uncertain season. Brahms is the lone returning starter, but Council—a grad transfer—has a wealth of experience from his time at Akron and is likely to lock down one of the starting guard spots. The other guard spot is a battle between Manning and Jones, but Manning gets the nod here. The two tackle spots fall to Hamm (seemingly a lock at right tackle) and Troxell, who has progressed well after a third ACL injury. If Troxell can remain healthy and prove he’s the type of player he was prior to his last injury, he should be the starter at left tackle.

DEFENSE

Defensive end

Big Kat Bryant, senior

Jaren Handy, sophomore OR

Zykeivous Walker, freshman OR

Daniel Foster-Allen, freshman

Caleb Johnson, redshirt sophomore

Defensive tackle

Daquan Newkirk

Dre Butler, sophomore OR

Jay Hardy, freshman

Defensive tackle

Tyrone Truesdell, senior

Marquis Burks, junior

Buck

T.D. Moultry, senior OR

Derick Hall, sophomore

Colby Wooden, redshirt freshman

Romello Height, freshman

Analysis: Auburn’s defensive line took a hit last week with the dismissal of Coynis Miller Jr., who was competing with Newkirk for a starting job at defensive tackle. That leaves Auburn with just four defensive tackles on scholarship, though Hardy, a freshman, has the size at 6-foot-4 and 299 pounds to play inside. Bryant has emerged as the leader of the unit and is expected to have a breakout season at defensive end, while Truesdell returns to man his starting spot on the interior. Moultry and Hall have been competing for the starting job at Buck, and it appears to be a close battle, though Moultry’s effort has been impressive and Bryant tabbed him as the best pass-rusher in practices so far.

Middle/inside linebacker

K.J. Britt, senior

Wesley Steiner, freshman

Kameron Brown, redshirt freshman

Desmond Tisdol, freshman

Outside linebacker

Owen Pappoe, sophomore

Zakoby McClain, junior

O.C. Brothers, redshirt freshman

Cam Riley, freshman

Analysis: Even after the opt-outs of Chandler Wooten and Josh Marsh, Auburn’s linebackers are in good shape, with the team returning its top three players at the position in Britt, Pappoe and McClain. The fourth spot remains up for grabs in a “very competitive” battle, but don’t be surprised if Steiner eventually emerges in the rotation. Either way, Auburn will have to rely on its freshmen to provide some depth at the position this fall.

Nickelback

Christian Tutt, junior

Jordyn Peters, senior

Ladarius Tennison, freshman

Boundary cornerback

Roger McCreary, junior

Jaylin Simpson, redshirt freshman OR

Devan Barrett, senior

Field cornerback

Marco Domio, junior OR

Nehemiah Pritchett, sophomore

Boundary safety

Jamien Sherwood, junior

Zion Puckett, redshirt freshman

Malcolm Askew, senior

Chris Thompson Jr., freshman

Field safety

Smoke Monday, junior

Jordyn Peters, senior OR

Matthew Hill, redshirt sophomore

Analysis: Auburn had to replace four starters from last year’s secondary, but it seems as though four of the five starting spots are all pretty much solidified. Tutt returns at nickel, where Peters will provide depth (as well as at safety), while Monday and Sherwood should take over the safety spot they served as backups for the last two seasons. McCreary has emerged as Auburn’s newest No. 1 cornerback, with Domio and Pritchett vying for the No. 2 spot. Hill, a converted wide receiver, has impressed in his transition to the defensive side and should push for playing time. Simpson also received some first-team reps at cornerback during the team’s most recent scrimmage.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punter

Oscar Chapman, freshman OR

Aidan Marshall, junior

Crimmins Hankinson, sophomore

Kicker

Anders Carlson, redshirt junior

Evan McGuire, freshman

Long snapper

Bill Taylor, redshirt junior

Jacob Quattlebaum, redshirt sophomore

Clarke Smith, senior

Punt returner

Christian Tutt, junior

Mark-Antony Richards, redshirt freshman

Ja’Varrius Johnson, redshirt freshman

Kobe Hudson, freshman

Ladarius Tennison, freshman

Kick returner

Shaun Shivers, junior AND

Matthew Hill, redshirt sophomore

Analysis: Carlson returns for his third year as Auburn’s starting kicker, as does his battery mate at long snapper, Taylor, who was sidelined toward the end of last season with a hand injury. Tutt also returns as Auburn’s primary punt returner, while a handful of younger guys also received reps at that spot during the third week of camp. Shivers should slide into the primary kick returner role, with Hill as a potential second deep man on kickoffs. Chapman will practice with Auburn for the first time this week, but it wouldn’t surprise if he quickly established himself as the guy at punter for the Tigers, while Marshall (a former starter at the position) and Hankinson continue to vie for the job.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Thoughts:

-I find one thing on that RB rotation a little suspect. But if we truly have 4 guys in play for the 2 lead spots, then that can only be a good thing. 

-Sorry to see Javy Johnson running 3rd at that slot position, but maybe that just speaks well of Newton. I do like the depth.

-We talk a lot about depth, but having a dependable guy like Jake Quattlebaum backing up Bill Taylor really shows how crucial it is. We all know Trox's injury history and we're just one (long) snap away from Taylor having to slide over the left tackle. No, this joke will never die.

-I guess we still don't know who our punter is, but we do know that we've lost our 3rd option. Good luck out there, Crimmins Hankinson. Wear your mask!

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thoughts:

-I find one thing on that RB rotation a little suspect. But if we truly have 4 guys in play for the 2 lead spots, then that can only be a good thing. 

-Sorry to see Javy Johnson running 3rd at that slot position, but maybe that just speaks well of Newton. I do like the depth.

-We talk a lot about depth, but having a dependable guy like Jake Quattlebaum backing up Bill Taylor really shows how crucial it is. We all know Trox's injury history and we're just one (long) snap away from Taylor having to slide over the left tackle. No, this joke will never die.

-I guess we still don't know who our punter is, but we do know that we've lost our 3rd option. Good luck out there, Crimmins Hankinson. Wear your mask!

To be honest, I think we’ll see all 5 running backs take meaningful snaps this year. There’s just too much talent. My guess? There will be a “the guy,” but different running backs will get used more/less depending on the weakness of the teams we face. For example, I can’t see shivers taking the bulk of the carries for the season given his size, but I think he’ll see more snaps against teams that have shown to over pursue. We might see more of tank against teams that are weaker up front. We might see MAR against teams with slower defenses. 
I still don’t see Joiner as a True tailback though. I’m betting that he is mostly in the field in 2 back sets, but hopefully does more than runs the wheel route.

As I was peaking at that Offensive depth chart, I know it’s way too early to look at 2021, but WOW, we could potentially be bringing back 10 starters (losing only Stove)!!!!   We’ll see how the O looks in 2020, but that looks really promising!   (Lots of JRs on D too!)

18 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

As I was peaking at that Offensive depth chart, I know it’s way too early to look at 2021, but WOW, we could potentially be bringing back 10 starters (losing only Stove)!!!!   We’ll see how the O looks in 2020, but that looks really promising!   (Lots of JRs on D too!)

Well, actually......with the NCAA ruling, we will be bringing back ALL of our starters, minus the ones who decide to test the NFL waters.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Analysis: Shenker is the incumbent here, and after long being described as a potential versatile weapon on offense, his time may finally be here in Chad Morris’ system, which loves to emphasize tight ends. Auburn has a stable of options at the position, and we could see two- and even three-tight end sets this season.

Shout out to my Man Crush for 2020 John Samuel Shenker"heimer Schmidt". :hellyeah: Let's Go!

27 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Probably lose Seth and Schwartz, too. Especially if we have a full season. Maybe Worm. But your point holds true. That's as good as it's ever going to get, assuming the returning guys aren't garbage. I was thinking the same thing earlier.

• WarTiger changed the title to Projected depth chart midway through preseason
16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I fully expect Seth to leave and be a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Especially if he has the year we're thinking. There was even an article about Auburn kind of wanting it to happen to set a standard and start getting more high tier receivers.

Schwartz I don't know. He could easily leave and his speed alone would get him taken in the 3rd round at the latest.

Stove will be a Senior. Even if he could return I think with all his injuries and the freshmen coming up being so good will all but guarantee he's done. Seems like one of our either late picks or undrafted earning a spot somewhere.

Lord knows we'll lose at least one meaningful running back because we're cursed. Someone you never heard anything bad about will all of a sudden act out, transfer, or declare for the draft too early.

OL I think will all return unless someone has an unprecedented year of total dominance.

Bo can't leave yet.

Defensively speaking we'll lose some studs but I really like who fills in behind the ones leaving. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I fully expect Seth to leave and be a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Especially if he has the year we're thinking. There was even an article about Auburn kind of wanting it to happen to set a standard and start getting more high tier receivers.

Schwartz I don't know. He could easily leave and his speed alone would get him taken in the 3rd round at the latest.

Stove will be a Senior. Even if he could return I think with all his injuries and the freshmen coming up being so good will all but guarantee he's done. Seems like one of our either late picks or undrafted earning a spot somewhere.

Lord knows we'll lose at least one meaningful running back because we're cursed. Someone you never heard anything bad about will all of a sudden act out, transfer, or declare for the draft too early.

OL I think will all return unless someone has an unprecedented year of total dominance.

Bo can't leave yet.

Defensively speaking we'll lose some studs but I really like who fills in behind the ones leaving. 

Agree with most of your post but really wanted to highlight this. Exciting- even if not at all surprising- to hear our staff is thinking this way, and even more exciting that we have an OC who can do it. I'm going to keep saying it. All of these guys recorded catches under Chad Morris at Clemson:

Sammy Watkins
DeAndre Hopkins
Martavis Bryant
Adam Humphries
Charone Peak
Mike Williams

3 of those guys were 1st rounders. All of them were drafted but Humphries, who signed a 4-yr, $36 million contract in 2019. Hopkins just reinvented the pay scale for wide receivers. And Chad's been recruiting a bunch of dudes with metrics like most of those dudes have- 6'1-'63, 185-205, fast. Guys built to run every route. We'll see what happens but it sure feels like we're moving away from the hyper-specialization that has held us back in the passing game. It's fun to think about. 

Dude. So funny, sad and true about the RBs. I have a candidate in mind, although I don't anticipate him doing anything wrong. I don't expect anything bad from this group. 

I agree with y’all @McLoofus and @Zeek, I fully expect SW to put up big numbers and then go pretty high in the draft.  I don’t expect Stove back either.  I think Flash is a lot less predictable at this point.  

If an OL blows up this year and goes pro that’s fantastic!  But I expect them all to be back in 2021.  We have depth and competition for spots on the OL now, so someone transferring out is a possibility.  

Worm could possibly go pro.  His speed alone will be intriguing to NFL scouts.  If DJ drops all the way to 4th on the depth chart as some are suggesting, he may try NFL or transfer portal.  

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree with y’all @McLoofus and @Zeek, I fully expect SW to put up big numbers and then go pretty high in the draft.  I don’t expect Stove back either.  I think Flash is a lot less predictable at this point.  

If an OL blows up this year and goes pro that’s fantastic!  But I expect them all to be back in 2021.  We have depth and competition for spots on the OL now, so someone transferring out is a possibility.  

Worm could possibly go pro.  His speed alone will be intriguing to NFL scouts.  If DJ drops all the way to 4th on the depth chart as some are suggesting, he may try NFL or transfer portal.  

The way I look at Flash and Worm is... either they get used appropriately, put up numbers, get a good draft projection, and go get paid... or they don't get used appropriately (again), get fed up with it, get a decent draft projection based on their speed, and go get paid. But that obviously assumes what their objectives are, and I don't actually assume that. I'm just preparing myself mentally, because I'm emotional about these guys.

This seems as good a place as any to slap this up. Happy to hear this and would love to see Shed get some opportunities to make plays in addition to all the value he provides blocking on the perimeter. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This seems as good a place as any to slap this up. Happy to hear this and would love to see Shed get some opportunities to make plays in addition to all the value he provides blocking on the perimeter. 

Not surprised. Shed is a possession receiver. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see him make some tough 3rd down catches in traffic this season

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Not surprised. Shed is a possession receiver. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see him make some tough 3rd down catches in traffic this season

Plus he is a big boy that can block on running plays. Perfect player to have in when you are trying not to sub all the time so you can keep the defense on their heels. 

Archived