new linebackers showing great promise

aubiefifty

Auburn’s newest linebackers showing great promise

By Giana Han

Auburn Protest for Black Lives

Incoming Auburn linebacker Wesley Steiner, right, speaks to incoming running back Tank Bigsby during the Protest for Black Lives in Auburn, Ala. on Sunday, June 7, 2020. Auburn athletes ringed half the square. (Photo by Giana Han)

Auburn’s newest linebackers are what Auburn expected them to be, Gus Malzahn said Saturday. Based on what Malzahn said about them when they signed, that means Auburn fans should be excited.

In June 2019, Cam Riley was the first of the three linebackers to commit to Auburn. An outside linebacker from Hillcrest High School, Riley was rated four-star recruit by 247Sports with a composite ranking of 0.8976. In his evaluation, he was described as having good football awareness and natural instincts.

Malzahn said Riley, who is listed on the Auburn roster as 6-foot-4 and 209 pounds, is “going to be a big man.” He described him as long and able to run.

“He’s got a great personality,” Malzahn said in December. “Really think his upside is really big.”

Desmond Tisdol, an inside linebacker out of Wilcox County High School in Georgia, brings experience in the run game on both offense and defense. He played both linebacker and running back for his high school and has a really good skillset according to Malzahn. His athleticism translated to both basketball and baseball, as well, where he scored 18 points per game on the court and hit .340 from the batter’s box his junior year.

Auburn, specifically linebackers coach Travis Williams, spent a long time recruiting the four-star linebacker who had 14 offers, including ones from Florida and Kentucky.

“We’re excited to have him, really think he fits what we do defensively,” Malzahn said.

Owen Pappoe, a linebacker in the class above the freshman who was able to contribute immediately, said both Riley and Tisdol are very athletic, and they’ve been doing well in practice.

Wesley Steiner is Auburn’s third new linebacker, and the highest-rated one in the class of 2020. A four-star linebacker out of Houston County High School, Steiner was given a 0.9560 composite rating from 247Sports. Malzahn mentioned his strength and speed — Steiner won a state championship in track — but he also highlighted his GPA.

In high school, Steiner earned a 4.0 GPA. He brings an intellectual approach to the game – he’s the type of player who’s less focused on how hard he tackles than how effectively he tackles. Now that he’s at Auburn, he’s continued to be a student of the game.

“Wesley’s asking a lot of questions,” Pappoe said. “He’s really eager to learn the system.”

All three of the players will have the chance to play if they just keep taking it day by day and stay focused on improving, Pappoe said. They just need experience.

Overall, senior linebacker K.J. Britt has been impressed with the freshmen class. He doesn’t see any reason they shouldn’t be ready by the time the season arrives.

“Just as far as trying to understand ball, trying to understand how to emphasize their role, I don’t see nothing wrong with the whole class,” Britt said. “I’m anxious to watch them play.”

Britt believes they, along with the other freshmen, have the ability to be a really special group.

I've said it before but I'm really high on this group of linebackers. They all have the measurables to contribute early and often. It'll be about making sure they understand the defense and play under control. Steiner, Riley, and Tisdol should all be Auburn Household names by the end of the year. 

When he committed I said it then and I’m saying it now. I think somewhere down the line Riley is gonna be a monster for us. Probably not this year because he’s pretty thin but we’ll see

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I've said it before but I'm really high on this group of linebackers. They all have the measurables to contribute early and often. It'll be about making sure they understand the defense and play under control. Steiner, Riley, and Tisdol should all be Auburn Household names by the end of the year. 

looking at the pic of tank with steiner i was shocked they were the same size. now i understand why folks say tank can lay the lumber so to speak when carrying the ball. i know the article is about linebackers but i had to throw that in there.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

looking at the pic of tank with steiner i was shocked they were the same size. now i understand why folks say tank can lay the lumber so to speak when carrying the ball. i know the article is about linebackers but i had to throw that in there.

Yes, Tank is like his namesake and not slow. 

Archived