todays weird question of the month

aubiefifty

right now i am ok with gus so let me get that out of the way. if something happens to gus and he is let go do you think saban will offer him a job like all the other coachs like jones etc? and i do not mean something like OC. what ya think? i mean what are the odds of this happening? grins

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

right now i am ok with gus so let me get that out of the way. if something happens to gus and he is let go do you think saban will offer him a job like all the other coachs like jones etc? and i do not mean something like OC. what ya think? i mean what are the odds of this happening? grins

I would think IF Gus were let go, he would go back to the state of Arkansas. I could be wrong (in fact a high possibility), but it just seems there's always been that vibe that he would go back "home" if Auburn cut ties.

I don’t think Saban would want Gus at all under any circumstances.  The Gus philosophy is to try to trick the other team.  Saban wants to get the best players, line up and physically beat the other teams asses.  

So my answer is a definite no but in an alternate world he might consider Gus as his 4th quarter, pull one out of my @zz strategist. Saban has to at least admire that about him. 

15 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Congratulations! You have posted the first Gus might get fired post of this football season! ;) Do we really have to start it this early?

thank you! i am NOT a gus hater but i do have a warped sense of humor and nothing more. so what did i win other than your contempt?

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thank you! i am NOT a gus hater but i do have a warped sense of humor and nothing more. so what did i win other than your contempt?

I have no contempt for you, fifty! Everyone has their own sport. We just haven't even taken one snap yet, and are still in fall camp. I'm not sure I'm in full game day defend Gus shape yet! How about you @toddc ? You up for it yet? :Sing:

37 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I have no contempt for you, fifty! Everyone has their own sport. We just haven't even taken one snap yet, and are still in fall camp. I'm not sure I'm in full game day defend Gus shape yet! How about you @toddc ? You up for it yet? :Sing:

Got the Gus Bus an oil change yesterday, put some loud Glasspack Mufflers on, and revving up the motor! Let’s get on or get out of the way baby!!! 

37D5470F-D3EF-453C-A7AB-74B49CB9FF66.jpeg

The thing about gus is the ineptitude in big games, that being said, he’s made all the right moves this offseason. The fact that we actually used a TE as often as we did in this past scrimmage is a major positive. If chad uses guys like Shivers, Joiner, etc like they should be used, no one will come after gus. We can take losses, just not the repeating embarrassing losses we’ve taken the last few years. A  regular top  15 team shouldn’t be taking multiple losses like that a year. We have the talent to win them all, but at the very least we should always compete. There shouldn’t be multiple times a year where we are embarrassed, we have too much talent. As a gus criticizer I want gus as a  long term coach, I really do. AU has the money to hire the best available, hire the best coaches possible and let them do their thing (like LSU). Gus is a great ambassador and leader for a program and that how it needs to stay, not meddling.

I actually think Saban would want Gus. Saban’s approach to football is to control everything as much as possible. He has a vision for what he thinks a team should look like, and he fits coaches and players in that fit his scheme. I know a lot of coaches do this, but Saban is obsessive about it. That’s why, for the longest time, he went after game managers for QB. In the way he wanted to play football, the game manager mold does what he thought his system needed from the QB position. 
Gus has chronically been a thorn in his side. In addition to being at least a part of beating him 4 out of 10 times, Gus has forced Saban to change how he does football. Saban hates the no huddle attacks because he schemes didn’t work against them. So he created the player safety push saying that no huddle attacks were dangerous. When that didn’t work, he adopted some no huddle. When he could t figure out how to stop spread attacks, he started bringing in coordinators that would run more shotgun/spread option kinds of plays. Bringing in Gus removes an opponent coach that has caused him literal fits (we all saw his tantrum on the sidelines last iron bowl). So I disagree with some of the posters above. If he went back to say Arkansas or to some other SEC team, he’d continue to be a thorn in Saban’s side. 

I think the bigger issue is actually the other way around. Would Gus want to go work for Saban, especially since you know some program would hire him as an OC within weeks of us firing him? I think this is why it wouldn’t happen. Gus is kind of the antithesis of Saban. He’d get little out of that relationship because he’d never run a program in the way Saban does. He’s be better off taking a coordinator job elsewhere, or staying out for a year and taking a head coaching job elsewhere. People with careers like Gus’s land on their feet after being fired. Look at Mark Richt, who is only out of coaching now because he chose to be, or Les Miles who is again coaching at a P5 program (albeit it’s Kansas). A lot of fan bases think we are nuts to have wanted him gone at times in his career. He’d be able to land on his feet elsewhere, so I don’t see him accepting some analyst position with bama. 

Archived