Matthew Hill’s transition to defense going smoothly

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Matthew Hill’s transition to defense going smoothly

Today 8:19 AM

Auburn wide receiver Matthew Hill (19) carries the ball as Alabama defensive back Patrick Surtain II (2) tries to strip the ball during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

By Giana Han

Matthew Hill will be going up for interceptions rather than receptions this year now that he has transitioned from a wide receiver into a defensive back.

When Hill first arrived at Auburn, he came in as a four-star wide receiver out of Snelville, Georgia. He was ranked the 13th best player in Georgia and the 17th best receiver in the country.

Hill hit the field as a true freshman with a fumble recovery and 22-yard rush against Alabama State and a carry in the Music City Bowl in 2018. Since he didn’t play more than four games, he was able to take that year as a redshirt. Hill didn’t record any catches.

As a sophomore, his role grew, and he played in all 13 games. Hill made eight receptions for 46 yards, including two in the Iron Bowl win over Alabama. He also had two carries for nine yards and made two tackles as a special teams player. However, he still didn’t make quite the impact that classmates Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz did despite being the highest-rated receiver and second-highest rated signee of the 2018 class.

But after the 2019 season, the coaches decided to see what Hill can do on the other side of the ball. Coach Gus Malzahn said in the spring that they would give Hill opportunities on defense, but spring never happened. When the roster came out, Hill was officially listed as a defensive back. Based on what safety Smoke Monday has seen, Hill is going to be able to help the Tigers out.

“I feel like Matthew Hill is going to be a big contributor to the defense,” Monday said.

Despite two years on offense, Hill shows a lot of confidence when he steps onto the field as a defender. He’s very smart and is learning the playbook well. Hill’s athleticism has also helped in the transition. Monday said he’s fast and has nice hips.

Auburn’s defensive backs learn to play all over the field, so Hill is getting reps at both cornerback and safety. In the few days of practice that Auburn’s had, Hill has looked good at both positions.

Hills transition comes at a good time for the Tigers. While they returned their three top targets on offense, they lost four of their five starting defensive backs to graduation and the draft.

“I feel like he’s really doing good to pick up where we left off last year,” Monday said. “Because without key faces, a lot of things, a lot of pieces go into it, and he’s picked it up really fast.”

I still don't personally understand why some guys rather convert over trying a different stop, but A. there's not better tried and true options for that than Auburn B. I have to give Auburn props for being attractive enough that switching positions here is better than trying your luck elsewhere

I keep holding out hope that Garner will sneak JJ Pegues into the DL group at practice and Gus won't notice.

10 hours ago, CR said:

I keep holding out hope that Garner will sneak JJ Pegues into the DL group at practice and Gus won't notice.

Right. That cat needs to be at a position where he is playing every down. 

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Right. That cat needs to be at a position where he is playing every down. 

Absolutely. I keep hoping he'll look at a salary chart for NFL D-Linemen vs H-Back salaries.

22 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I still don't personally understand why some guys rather convert over trying a different stop, but A. there's not better tried and true options for that than Auburn B. I have to give Auburn props for being attractive enough that switching positions here is better than trying your luck elsewhere

I'm biased because of how much I loved Matthew Hill as a recruit and kid (good interview) but it's still kind of a shame. I think he has the talent to be a consistent contributor at WR but it makes sense with all the guys coming in...

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm biased because of how much I loved Matthew Hill as a recruit and kid (good interview) but it's still kind of a shame. I think he has the talent to be a consistent contributor at WR but it makes sense with all the guys coming in...

yeah I dont think its WR vs DB. I think its getting burn at Auburn versus not getting burn. He just wants to be at Auburn AND he wants to be used 

Archived