Caylin Newton trying to find a role

aubiefifty

Caylin Newton made a name at Howard. Now he’s trying to find a role at Auburn

I really hope to see him on the field., I'd love to see him be our wildcat QB and and get a lot of playing time at WR. 

I don’t think he will be our WC QB. The big guy from bowling green will fit that mold. However , if he can turn to our own hunter renfrow, I will be very happy. 

I kinda of agree with you; we tend to run the QB between the tackles on the wildcat in short yardage situations. .  I may not get my wish, but I'd love to see Newton run the zone read occasionally. The kid has some real running and throwing skills. Honestly, if Bo goes down, I'd like to see him have a shot at QB. It does not appear that the coaches are thinking that way, however.

If I'm not mistaken, you typically need your WC QB to be a guy that primarily plays another position, so that you don't have to substitute for it. I'm not sure if the new saban rule is going to change that, but that's why WC QBs are usually WRs or RBs. I don't know if we'd look to another pure QB for that role. I would think of that guy having more of a "Tebow package", but I don't know if Chad's ever done that and Gus flat refused to last year when we had the dream QB just for that purpose and several scenarios when it would have been strategically appropriate. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, you typically need your WC QB to be a guy that primarily plays another position, so that you don't have to substitute for it. I'm not sure if the new saban rule is going to change that, but that's why WC QBs are usually WRs or RBs. I don't know if we'd look to another pure QB for that role. I would think of that guy having more of a "Tebow package", but I don't know if Chad's ever done that and Gus flat refused to last year when we had the dream QB just for that purpose and several scenarios when it would have been strategically appropriate. 

Dang good point 

• WarTiger changed the title to Caylin Newton trying to find a role
7 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think he will be our WC QB. The big guy from bowling green will fit that mold. However , if he can turn to our own hunter renfrow, I will be very happy. 

I agree with this, on Loy, I’d love to see him paired with Shaun in change of pace/wildcat. Dudes an athlete 

I have alot of thoughts about Caylin's potential but the fact of the matter is the way the schedule is structured now, he's going to have pretty much zero opportunities to really get burn. Just not much margin of error to try new things. This is an issue that doesn't just apply to him either, alot of transfer guys are probably going to find themselves behind the 8 balls depending on how strong their depth chart was the prev season 

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This post makes a number of good points.  I can't quite figure out the Caylin situation.  In my dream scenario, he would be a starting WR, and teams would always have to worry about him lining up at QB and running the zone read. That does not seem likely-just not Gus.  And as Mcloofus pointed out, we didn't utilize Joey last year, and he easily could have played a much bigger role.  Also, it's going to be hard for Caylin to break into the WR rotation. He's certainly a good enough athlete to do so, but we have a lot of     talent there already. And it's a new position for him. It's going to take time, and he only has 2 years.

Caylin is not the ideal height for a QB, but he's about the same size as Davis, and we have no problem with Davis as a QB.  Caylin was an exceptional QB at Howard.   I don't think he would have had a problem going to a D1 school and getting a real shot at the starting role.  For Auburn, he may not have had a real shot at a starting role, but hey, injuries happen. And we do need a reliable backup. Caylin seems to hit all the checkmarks there much more so than anybody else on the roster.  I guess this is the long way of saying I don't understand why he's not at QB instead of WR.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

I would think the Loy ? transfer would be a better option because of his qualities as a runner and the competition he’s faced. I think Joiner would be the wildcat Qb if we run it.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:00 PM, toddc said:

I would think the Loy ? transfer would be a better option because of his qualities as a runner and the competition he’s faced. I think Joiner would be the wildcat Qb if we run it.

He makes good sense if he's got the intelligence and vision to run it. I had hopes of him maybe being a Kalen Ballage for us but they might not be similar beyond their metrics.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Cardin Drake said:

This post makes a number of good points.  I can't quite figure out the Caylin situation.  In my dream scenario, he would be a starting WR, and teams would always have to worry about him lining up at QB and running the zone read. That does not seem likely-just not Gus.  And as Mcloofus pointed out, we didn't utilize Joey last year, and he easily could have played a much bigger role.  Also, it's going to be hard for Caylin to break into the WR rotation. He's certainly a good enough athlete to do so, but we have a lot of     talent there already. And it's a new position for him. It's going to take time, and he only has 2 years.

Caylin is not the ideal height for a QB, but he's about the same size as Davis, and we have no problem with Davis as a QB.  Caylin was an exceptional QB at Howard.   I don't think he would have had a problem going to a D1 school and getting a real shot at the starting role.  For Auburn, he may not have had a real shot at a starting role, but hey, injuries happen. And we do need a reliable backup. Caylin seems to hit all the checkmarks there much more so than anybody else on the roster.  I guess this is the long way of saying I don't understand why he's not at QB instead of WR.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

He wants to be on the field.

16 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He wants to be on the field.

Yeah. If he had a future at QB, he would've been offered accordingly. (If I've made contradictory statements about other "QB/<position" players in the past, I've since learned better.)

The NFL, though, has numerous WRs who were QBs in college because they were the best athlete on the team. You can say the same about college ball. 

Also, Chad Morris spreads the ball around, and our top 3 receivers are likely gone after this year. Stove, the guy Newton is most likely to back up, will definitely be gone. Throw in special teams opportunities- 5'11 201 and fast gives you a lot of options- and it makes good sense for him. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. If he had a future at QB, he would've been offered accordingly. (If I've made contradictory statements about other "QB/<position" players in the past, I've since learned better.)

The NFL, though, has numerous WRs who were QBs in college because they were the best athlete on the team. You can say the same about college ball. 

Also, Chad Morris spreads the ball around, and our top 3 receivers are likely gone after this year. Stove, the guy Newton is most likely to back up, will definitely be gone. Throw in special teams opportunities- 5'11 201 and fast gives you a lot of options- and it makes good sense for him. 

Do we know his 40 time? Shuttle time?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Do we know his 40 time? Shuttle time?

Huh. Not sure if accurate but this says 4.83. He doesn't seem to be particularly high in any of these metrics. Maybe I overestimated his athleticism based on anecdotes that either were exaggerated or I misinterpreted them. Or maybe this isn't really an accurate view of his athleticism. All very possible, but especially whichever scenarios include me being wrong...

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/220577/caylin-newton

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly . This guy can definitely make it at the next level with his athletic ability . It doesn’t hurt that he is related to Cam. No doubt in my mind , this guy comes in and put in the work at WR and potentially special teams , he will get a shot at the next level. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Not sure if accurate but this says 4.83. He doesn't seem to be particularly high in any of these metrics. Maybe I overestimated his athleticism based on anecdotes that either were exaggerated or I misinterpreted them. Or maybe this isn't really an accurate view of his athleticism. All very possible, but especially whichever scenarios include me being wrong...

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/220577/caylin-newton

Yeah, I had seen that one and hoped it was off. If it’s 4.83, he might as well work at QB as a back up unless he’s exceptionally quick. I assume they’ve seen something in him. 

Archived