must fill role in LB corps (Merged)

aubiefifty

247sports.com

For Auburn LBs, it's about living up to Williams' standard

ByPhillip Marshall

8-10 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama – In 2016, Travis Williams heard what he’d waited years to hear. After finishing his own career as an Auburn linebacker, playing in the NFL, coaching at Northern Iowa and in high school and trying a music career, he’d returned to his alma mater as an analyst and then had become a graduate assistant. He’d twice coached linebackers in bowl games. And then his career path took a dramatic turn. He was named linebackers coach on first-year defensive coordinator Kevin Steele’s staff.

It wasn’t long before Williams started hearing the talk that Auburn was woefully short on linebackers, but he wasn't buying it. He told his players that there was an All-SEC linebacker in the room.

Zakoby McClain takes an interception 100 yards against Alabama. (Photo: Auburn University)

“They look at you like, ‘Oh, yeah, OK.’ They ate it up like little puppy dogs,” Williams said. “I told them I meant it, and I did.”

Deshaun Davis, a third-year sophomore who had been all but abandoned, listened closely. In 2018, he was an All-SEC linebacker. K.J. Britt, who had been Davis’ backup, replaced him as a starter last season and was a first-team All-SEC selection.

“I think it’s a mentality, knowing you belong,” Williams said. “If you walk in there and say they’re not worth a crap, you can’t sign one off the waivers.”

Nobody is telling Williams anymore that Auburn is short of talent at linebacker. On the contrary, Auburn can make a case for having the best linebackers in the SEC.

Britt is back for his senior season. Owen Pappoe, a 5-star signee who started every game as a freshman, and Jakoby McClain, a junior who returned an Alabama pass 100 yards for a touchdown return, are also back And there is ample talent behind them.

Britt says it all starts with Williams, who is at once a father figure and a demanding coach and teacher.

“It’s going to be a battle in Coach T-Will’s room,” Britt said. “Nothing is given, but much is required. The standard is going to be the standard. I’m not even promised to start. You just have to come to work. Everybody just has to come to work day in and day out.”

Sophomore quarterback Bo Nix says Britt’s talent and leadership are clear even from the other side of the ball.

“You know exactly what you’re going to get out of K.J.,” Nix said. “You’re going to get the most physical guy on the field. He’s going to be loud. He’s going to be communicating out there. He’s going to be excited and passionate about what he does. I think that’s just kind of what K.J. brings to the entire team – a passionate guy who loves Auburn and would do anything for the team.”

Travis Williams is headed toward his fifth season coaching Auburn linebackers. (Photo: Auburn University)

After two days in shorts and helmets, Auburn puts on shoulder pads today for the first of two practices in shells. With spring practice having been lost to the COVID-19 pandemic, players will wear pads for the first time since the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1.

“We just have to get back in the groove of things, start evaluating guys and see who can step up,” Britt said. “The main thing right now is just make sure we take it day by day, making sure young guys are affluent in the playbook, making sure guys are taking pride in the defense and just loving Auburn. That’s how we are going to evaluate guys moving forward.”

Williams entered preseason camp with one hole he didn’t expect. Senior Chandler Wooten, who would likely have been a backup playing the number of snaps of a starter, opted out because of the pandemic. Williams’ confidence has not wavered. He believes in his players, those who were highly rated and highly recruited and those who weren’t.

“You have to trust your eyes and your evaluation,” Williams said. “You can’t go off rankings all the time. They’re not too off, but there are guys you know if I get my hands on him, I can develop him.”

Here is a look at Auburn’s linebackers:

K.J. BRITT, 6-0, 243, SENIOR

First-team All-SEC in 2019, his  first season as a starter … In on 69 tackles with10 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks … Reputed to be the hardest-hitting linebacker in the SEC … 4-star signee from Oxford (Ala.) High School.

OWEN PAPPOE, 6-1, 222, SOPHOMORE

Started every game as a true freshman in 2019 … In on tackles with 3 tackles for loss and 2 sacks … freshman All-SEC selection … 5-star signee out of Grayson High School in Lawrenceville, Ga.

ZAKOBY MCCLAIN, 6-0, 211, JUNIOR

In on 55 tackles with 5 tackles for loss and a sack in 2019 … Returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown against Alabama … Athlon national Defensive Player of the Week after victory over Alabama. 3-star signee out of Valdosta (Ga.) High School.

JOSH MARSH, 6-2, 219, SOPHOMORE

Played in two games and was in on two games in 2019 … Led the state of Alabama with 206 tackles as a high school junior … 3-star signee out of Decatur (Ala.) High School.

O.C. BROTHERS, 6-1, 235, REDSHIRT FRESHMAN

Played against Kent State and Samford in 2019, making two tackles … 99 tackles 6 tackles for loss and 5 interceptions as a high school senior … 3-starsignee out of Rockledge (Fla.) High School.

KAMERON BROWN, 6-0, 237, REDSHIRT FRESHMAN

Redshirted as a true freshman in 2019 … Brother of former All-America Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown … In on 187 tackles, including 24 tackles for loss and 6 sacks as a high school senior … Broke up six passes and returned a fumble for a touchdown. 3-star signee out of Lanier High School in Sugar Hill, Ga.

WESLEY STEINER, 6-0, 227, FRESHMAN

247Sports evaluation: Compact, muscled build with a developed lower body and power base. Is one of the top athletes in his size range for the 2020 cycle. Has a rare combination of strength, power and speed as an athlete with outstanding testing marks in the 40-yard dash and vertical leap in addition to being a top thrower in track. Transfers that power and athleticism over the field, where he stars as a running back and linebacker for his high school. Shows very nice range on defense with the ability to play in space covering in the slot. Has outstanding closing speed and is a physical finisher at the point of attack with high-level striking power. Is a dangerous blitzer off the edge with his ability to time up the snap with his top-end quickness. Uses his speed to track down ball carriers in backside pursuit. Looks to play with a high effort level, making several impressive plays in that regard. Also flashes his athleticism at running back and on offense. Not an overly long prospect and will need to continue honing his instincts for the position, especially as a run defender between the tackles. Has the ability to develop into a multi-year starter at the Power 5 level with the upside of becoming an early round NFL Draft pick. … 4-star signee out of Houston County High School in Warner Robbins, Ga.

CAM RILEY, 6-4, 209, FRESHMAN

247Sports evaluation: Tall, long, wiry prospect with plenty of room to fill out. Bouncy athlete with natural instincts as a second-level defender. Pass rushing potential with length and elite first step. Can bend on the edge or work with power despite thin build. Can man traditional linebacker spots and play in space with efficiency if needed. Good football awareness in running and passing situations, with upside as an underneath defender. Runs well with long stride. Some pop upon contact with ball carrier. Can play low and with leverage despite height. Productive over several varsity seasons, including breakout state championship game as a sophomore. Best football well ahead at priority position. Development with moves in tight quarters will be paramount. With added mass and strength should blossom into productive pass rusher at the Power Five level … 4-star signee out of Hillcrest High School in Evergreen.

DEMOND TISDOL, 6-0, 215, FRESHMAN

Productive prospect with a quick first step … 112 tackles as a junior for Coach Clinton Smith … Jaguars won a state title his sophomore year … Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game … Regional champion and state finalist in track as a sprinter … No. 14 prospect in Alabama according to 247Sports. 4-star signee.

3COMMENTS

TANNER DEAN, 6-3, 217, JUNIOR

Played in every game, mostly on special teams in 2019 … Had a tackle for loss on a fake punt at Florida. Walk-on out of Mountain Brook (Ala.) High School.

">247Sports

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

PUT RESPECT ON HIS NAME. There is no official Rookie Man Crush category, but this guy is mine and I will straight up drive across the country in a diaper to fight you for him. 

bring it big boy. a fight to the death with those pool noodles............ i am not wearing a diaper but i can probably round up a depends somewhere......lol

You guys with diapers and depends that is a scary thought but not as scary as a RB or TE being met by one of Auburn's Linebackers.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You guys with diapers and depends that is a scary thought but not as scary as a RB or TE being met by one of Auburn's Linebackers.

The rules make it so that we'll never see another 2006 AU vs LSU, but I do wonder if we don't have that kind of talent right now, at least in the back 7. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The rules make it so that we'll never see another 2006 AU vs LSU, but I do wonder if we don't have that kind of talent right now, at least in the back 7. 

I think we will be pleasantly surprised on how good the D-Line will be also.  We will find out in the 1st two games.

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think we will be pleasantly surprised on how good the D-Line will be also.  We will find out in the 1st two games.

Man, if we can just get some sack production from the edge...

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

bring it big boy. a fight to the death with those pool noodles............ i am not wearing a diaper but i can probably round up a depends somewhere......lol

Golf has a few lying around his place

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Golf has a few lying around his place

are they big enough to warp someone with bird?   grins....

• WarTiger changed the title to For LBs, it's about living up to Williams' standard

Auburn must fill role in LB corps after Wooten's opt-out

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

K.J. Britt’s reaction when Chandler Wooten informed him he planned to opt out of the 2020 season wasn’t one of surprise or disappointment. It was, simply, one of respect.

Wooten, a senior linebacker, announced two weeks ago his decision not to play this season due to health and safety concerns stemming from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. For Wooten, the decision was “extremely difficult,” albeit sound, given he is awaiting the birth of his first son in November.

“It wasn’t a difficult conversation at all,” said Britt, a fellow linebacker who arrived at Auburn in 2017 as a member of the same recruiting class as Wooten. “Respect to that decision. That was his decision, so you have to fully respect it. You have to fully understand what he’s going through and make sure that, at the end of the day, he’s making the best decision with him and his family.

“It wasn’t no hard decision at all. When he told me, I said, ‘Look, bro, I respect it. Go forth with it.’ And, ‘I love you.’ It was just that simple.”

What may not be as simple and clear-cut is how Auburn will fill the void at linebacker left by Wooten’s opt-out this season. Though Wooten was not a starter, he was a vital part of the Tigers’ linebacker rotation, appearing in 30 games over the last three seasons, including all 13 games a year ago, when he finished with 27 total tackles. He also provided a level of leadership, on and off the field, alongside Britt.

DJ Williams

Now, Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele must identify a new piece for its traditional four-man linebacker rotation to play alongside junior Zakoby McClain and complement starters Britt, an All-SEC player, and sophomore Owen Pappoe.

“First, we’ve just got to get back — just get back in the groove of things and then start evaluating guys and see who can step up,” Britt said. “But the main thing right now is just making sure we just take it day-by-day. Learning. Making sure that young guys are fluent with the playbook. Make sure guys are actually taking pride in the defense and actually just loving Auburn. That’s how we want to evaluate guys moving forward. Just making sure we get back in the swing of things.”

It’s still early in fall camp, of course, with Tuesday being just the second day of full practices, and there are still 5 ½ weeks until Auburn’s season opener against Kentucky on Sept. 26. The Tigers will have time to figure out the next man up at linebacker but doing so will be one of the priorities of the defense this preseason.

Auburn isn’t without its options to fill that role, especially with the job Williams has done on the recruiting trail the last few cycles. It’s just a matter of who will seize the opportunity and earn a spot despite limited in-game experience.

Redshirt sophomore Josh Marsh has the most familiarity with Auburn’s defensive scheme, entering his third year despite appearing in just three games over the last two seasons. After a knee injury before his freshman season but him behind the 8-ball in 2018, and he served as a little-used reserve last season, this fall could be the opportunity the 6-foot-2, 219-pounder has been waiting for.

There are 2019 signees O.C. Brothers and Kameron Brown, both of whom redshirted last season. Brothers appeared in two games, against Kent State and Samford, while Brown did not see the field last year. Then the Tigers also have a trio of true freshmen, each of whom was a four-star prospect coming out of high school: top-100 recruit Wesley Steiner, Desmond Tisdol and Cam Riley.

Steiner and Marsh could be the most likely to step into that role, but each of the Tigers’ remaining linebackers should be afforded opportunities to prove themselves this preseason, particularly with Auburn looking to develop more depth at a quicker rate thanks to no spring practices and the peculiar circumstances of the upcoming season. Auburn plans to do more 11-on-11 work this preseason as well as more scrimmage reps than in years past, with head coach Gus Malzahn noting that the Tigers will find more unconventional ways to establish that depth heading into a unique season that could require teams to go deeper into their roster than any other year.

While Wooten’s experience and leadership may be hard to replicate this season, one thing has become certain during Williams’ tenure as Auburn’s linebackers coach: The Tigers have developed a standard and expectation at the position, regardless of who is on the field.

“It’s going to be a battle and in Coach T-Will’s room, regardless; nothing is given, but much is required,” Britt said. “The standard is going to be the standard no matter who is going to be the fourth linebacker. I’m not even promised to start, so it’s like you just got to come to work. You can’t really put a guy there or a number there right now. First and foremost, I’ve got to make sure, Zakoby got to take sure, Owen got to make sure, the guys that played last year got to make sure that we’re doing our part or we’ll see nothing but a two-guy rotation out there.

“It’s like everybody just has to come to work every day, day in and day out. You don’t feel like it, come to work. When you feel like it, come to work. That’s the way that the fourth linebacker or the fifth linebacker or the sixth linebacker (is) going to be able to play. Keep chopping wood, staying positive and just getting ready to play.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to must fill role in LB corps (Merged)

Archived