expecting help from newcomers on offense

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Auburn expects help from newcomers on offense in 2020

ByJason Caldwell

8-10 minutes

Manage

AUBURN, Alabama—With the possibility of players having to quarantine for parts of the 2020 season because of covid-19 positive tests, Coach Gus Malzahn says Auburn is looking to develop a solid three-deep at every position by the time the Tigers open the season against the Kentucky Wildcats on September 26 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

At the wide receiver position that is going to mean counting on several true freshmen to play, even with the second team. One of those guys who has already caught the attention of sophomore quarterback Bo Nix is rangy true freshman Ze'Vian Capers from Denmark High in Alpharetta, Georgia.

A 6-4, 194-pounder, Capers was one of the most productive receivers in the Peach State as a high school junior and senior. In his last two seasons he caught 105 passes for more than 2,000 yards and 21 touchdowns. With a knack for making plays and the ability to go up and get the ball in traffic, he’s someone that Nix predicts will be ready when the Tigers take the field this fall.

“He’s a lot taller and rangier than I remember seeing him when he was in high school, "the quarterback said. "Whenever you can get a receiver like that, that’s really important, a guy who can go up and get the ball. His ball skills are really good. He’s really developed as a receiver as far as route-running and catching the ball naturally.  Any time you get to college you’re going to have different things you’re going to have to work on as far as making releases and physicality from a receiver standpoint--how you get off the line and get covered and things like that.

“I feel confident he’s willing to work for it. He’s an extremely hard worker and an extremely competitive guy so I’m really looking forward to him continuing to grow and develop and take the next step to play because, like we said earlier, any depth at any position is going to be really important. Hopefully, I believe he’ll do a good job doing that and being a help for us.”

Capers is just one from a group of new faces that could make an impact for the Auburn offense this season. Along with him at wide receiver the TIgers added Elijah Canion, J.J. Evans and Kobe Hudson. At tight end Auburn brought in 6-7 Brandon Frazier along with 6-2, 300 J.J. Pegues.

At the running back position a guy who is expected to compete for the starting job is playmaker Tank Bigsby from Callaway High in Hogansville, Georgia. Also in the mix is redshirt freshman Mark-Antony Richards, who is coming off a knee injury that cost him the 2019 season.

Getting a look at everyone throughout the summer and now early in fall camp, Nix said he’s ready to see what they can do when the lights come on in the Southeastern Conference.

“Coach (Ryan) Russell, especially in the offseason and this summer, was really bragging about them and saying how good of a job they’ve done,” Nix said. of the newcomers. “They had a great GPA coming in from last spring so those guys are really taking care of business and I’m looking forward to seeing them grow and develop as players, not only as guys in the locker room, but eventually growing up and maturing in all ways that freshmen do."

Capers and Bigsby are two newcomers Nix who have got Nix's attention along with a freshman quarterback. "Chayil’s (Chayil Garnett) been in my room so I’ve really gotten to see him grow and develop and mature as a quarterback. Obviously, there’s a big jump from high school to college in the quarterback room, but I feel like he’s done a great job of kind of taking his opportunity and making the most of it. He is doing really good, but all the freshmen they areslowly maturing and learning and doing what they’re supposed to do because we’re in a different time and a third group might be needed so everyone needs to be ready to play, and they’re obviously here for a reason. They can jump right in and help us.”

Tank Bigsby has been impressive since getting on campus. (Photo: Adam Sparks, 247Sports)

• WarTiger changed the title to expecting help from newcomers on offense

Archived