Bo Nix- underappreciated heading into 2020 (Merged)

aubiefifty

al.com

Bo Nix 'in a good spot' heading into camp

By Giana Han

Outback Bowl - Minnesota v Auburn

TAMPA, FLORIDA - JANUARY 01: Bo Nix #10 of the Auburn Tigers warms up during the 2020 Outback Bowl against the Minnesota Golden Gophers at Raymond James Stadium on January 01, 2020 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)Getty Images

When all NCAA athletes across the country got sent home, Auburn quarterback Bo Nix’s plan for getting bigger and better got “disrupted a little bit.”

Nix no longer had access to Auburn’s football facilities, and his connection to the strength and position coaches was limited to virtual communication. Despite the change in plans, Nix feels like he’s still in great shape and in a good place in his development as the team starts preparing for the season. On Monday, Auburn’s first practice of the year confirmed that.

“Going out there (Monday) was great,” Nix said. “I feel great about moving forward and continuing to do workouts during the season. I feel like I’m in a great position.”

Watching him practice, linebacker K.J. Britt said he was able to see definite growth, especially in Nix’s confidence. Nix has settled into his role as a leader and is more familiar with how to work with the people around him. Combine that with the “dimes” he was throwing, Britt said he’s excited to watch Nix play this season.

Nix attributes his preparedness to the strength staff who was able to put together workouts that Nix felt really readied them to come back. Once the team returned, the player-led practices and walk-throughs were helpful, not just for team development but also for camaraderie. Without anywhere else to go, the players spent all their time together. The team chemistry has become very strong, especially in the quarterback room where Nix said they have a unique situation but a good bond.

Although Nix feels the team is in a good place moving forward, the summer has had its share of challenges.

Auburn has only played one game, the Outback Bowl, with its new offensive coordinator Chad Morris present. As the leader of the offense, Nix needs to get to know both the coach and his system, and the lack of spring ball stunted his ability to do so. In April, Nix said it’s important for the quarterback to “be on the same page” with the offensive coordinator and to learn all the “little things,” like how Morris likes to call plays and which he likes the most.

“Not having a spring with a new OC and new plays has been challenging,” Nix said. “Not having spring didn’t allow us to dive deep into the playbook or anything like that.”

Nix said in April that he was taking his own time to try to soak up the offense, but it was hard without actually repping plays at practice. Since returning, they’ve been able to have walk-throughs, which coach Gus Malzahn said allowed them to line players up and talk through the new offense. It also gave players the chance to learn the new terminology and the different nuances of the system. But as thankful as Malzahn said they were to have the walk-throughs, they just aren’t the same as the real thing.

Monday was the first time the players ran through the new offense with coaches watching. That was the biggest difference from any other first day of camp, Nix said. The upcoming days will reveal the team’s strengths and weaknesses, and they will have five and a half weeks to build off of the strengths and fix the weaknesses.

The time will also help the quarterbacks form a bond with Morris face-to-face. Nix, who’s only had bowl practices and one game with Morris, has the most experience with him. When Morris first arrived at Auburn, Nix sought him out and talked with him. Looking back, that was very valuable for him since he and the other quarterbacks missed out on all the “learning moments” they would have had at spring practices.

Despite the challenges, Nix feels comfortable with where he and the offense are at, especially considering teams around the country are facing similar challenges.

“We’re in a good spot and hopefully looking to get better,” Nix said.

247sports.com

Nix says Auburn's offense in a 'great spot' for fall practice

ByJason Caldwell

AUBURN, Alabama—Without a spring football practice to learn and rep the new offense under coordinator Chad Morris, for Auburn sophomore quarterback Bo Nix the last few months have meant even greater detail to learning the ins and outs of the system heading into the 2020 season.

Able to do walk-throughs with the team and run captain’s practices during the summer, Nix has been able to get a feel for everything as the Tigers open actual football practices this week. Putting on a helmet for the first time since the Outback Bowl and moving forward with a new year, Nix said he feels good about where the offense is overall at the moment.

“Not having a spring with a new OC and new plays has been challenging, but I think as the summer has gone on we did a good job of having player-led practices and then when the NCAA allowed us to do OTA’s and walk-throughs with coaches, I feel like we’re in a great spot moving forward from a fall camp standpoint,” Nix said. “Not having spring didn’t allow us to dive deep into the playbook or anything like that. This is kind of our first time repping it in front of the coaches. I think that’s the only difference we’re looking at.

“Other than that, from a day one or day two standpoint I feel like we’re in a great situation. Coach Morris and the quarterbacks and all the rest of the coaches, we’re in a good spot and hopefully looking to get better.”

While Nix and the offense may feel good about where things are at the moment, Coach Gus Malzahn pointed out how much things are going to ramp up in the next few days. Going hard to put as much of the offense in as possible to be ready for the first scrimmage on Saturday means some busy days ahead for the Tigers.

“A walkthrough is a walkthrough,” Malzahn said. “You can get lined up, you can coach somebody up, you can talk somebody through it. But there's nothing like the real thing. I think our guys in the next two days, even with helmets only, will probably learn more in the next two days than the whole time they did during the walkthroughs.

“I am glad that we had the walkthroughs and I think every coach would say that. At least you have a chance to be out there with your players, you know. It's a new system, but there's a lot of similarities, you know, the terminology and the nuances that are different is good for them in the walkthroughs.”

Coming off a season when he completed 217-377 passes for 2,542 yards and 16 touchdowns, all freshman records at Auburn, Nix is focused on improving his game heading into year two. While that’s always the goal for any player, he said first and foremost his job is to make the team better.

11COMMENTS

“I think first I really have to make sure I put my stuff aside and make sure our team and our offense is moving in the right direction, we’re all on the same page, we have good team chemistry, we’re communicating right, we’ve got timing with the receivers, good footwork with the running backs, things like that,” Nix said. “After that, I think my personal goals will take care of themselves. If we’re all on the same page, and the receivers are on the same page I am, on the same page as the coaches, running backs, O-line, everybody.

“As long as we’re moving in the same direction, I feel completely confident that aside, my goals will take care of themselves. Obviously, any quarterback in this position is going to have goals and aspirations and things like that. I think every quarterback in the country does. At that point--at the end of the day-- t’s just about whose team can help and contribute the same, and which offense is going to be the best.”

I was shocked to see how low he "rates" on this metric. Had me wondering what data they used considering Spencer Rattler is so high based on projections. Top 10 listed below, Bo listed after that.

Think this is fair or too low? I'd say too low- he's at least a top 40 QB.

Link

2020 College Football Quarterback Rankings: All 130 FBS starters

By Anthony Treash
Aug 18, 2020

Just as it is for the professional level, the quarterback position is far and away the most important position in football at the college level. A team has to have a viable signal-caller in order to sniff the College Football Playoff or even have a shot at a conference championship, and you most certainly have to have a top-tier passer to take home the ultimate honor of being named national champions.

This, of course, begs the following question: Which programs are in the best and worst shape at the quarterback position as we look forward to the 2020 college football season?

With the help of PFF College's advanced database — which has now been made available to subscribers for the very first time — we can proceed to answer that question and provide you with the most accurate college football quarterback rankings out there.

Taking into account each projected starter's play-by-play grading profile in addition to several other data points, we present to you our college quarterback rankings for all 130 FBS programs.

1. TREVOR LAWRENCE, CLEMSON

Players like Trevor Lawrence simply don't come around often. The Clemson quarterback produced a PFF grade above 90.0 in each of the last two years, which is something only Tua Tagovailoa managed to match. The best part? Lawrence did that as a true freshman and true sophomore.

Lawrence earned 1.4 win shares (WAA) in his 2018 freshman season, which was a mile ahead of anything any other Power 5 true freshman has done in the PFF College era. His arm strength, mobility and pocket presence are all elite, and there really is nothing that he does poorly. Not only is Lawrence the best quarterback of this season, but he is also in the conversation as one of the best quarterbacks we have ever seen.

2. JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE

If it weren't for the unheralded play of Joe Burrow in 2019, Fields would have been the best quarterback of the 2019 season. While Lawrence edges him out here due to having consecutive seasons of dominant play as an underclassman, it's Fields who had the better 2019. In fact, it was the 10th-most valuable season we have ever recorded at the position (since 2014), per WAA.

Fields recorded a 92.4 passing grade in his first season as a Buckeye, posting the nation's third-best big-time throw rate and 16th-best turnover-worthy play rate. As we stated in the PFF College Magazine, Fields routinely finds the open receiver and delivers an accurate ball, hardly ever making a mistake. Whether it be via the air or on the ground, Fields can go toe-to-toe against the best defenses in the country and actually projects better to the next level than anyone on this list.

3. JAMIE NEWMAN, GEORGIA

There might not be a more underrated player in college football than Newman, who is set to join Georgia from Wake Forest. Wake didn't cater to Newman's arm talent as much as it should have, as they instead relied heavily on his athleticism in the ground attack. Newman's mobility is a great attribute, but his arm talent is far superior. His touch downfield is arguably the best in the country, and it was instrumental in him producing the second-best deep (20-plus-yard throws) passing grade among Power 5 quarterbacks.

The new Georgia signal-caller wasn't necessarily in an ideal situation at Wake Forest, given his usage, the RPO-heavy offense and the lack of separators in the receiving unit. He actually had to throw into a tight window at a higher rate than any quarterback in the country, yet he overcame that and earned the second-best passing grade on such throws. Now, Newman will go to a Todd Monken-led offense at Georgia that will cater to his strengths and is boosted by an incredible supporting cast. Dawg nation is in line for a lot of success with Newman — and not J.T. Daniels — under center.

4. SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA

Mack Brown has the North Carolina program on the rise, and the move to kick off this particular butterfly effect was him flipping Sam Howell's commitment from Florida State. Howell had an outstanding true freshman campaign in 2019 that saw him accumulate the second-most-valuable true freshman season ever recorded by a Power 5 quarterback. The Tar Heels have one of the most potent deep passing attacks in the country with Howell leading the charge; he showed exceptional placement downfield last year, and his 29 big-time throws on deep balls in 2019 — tied for third-most in college football — reflect that.

5. TANNER MORGAN, MINNESOTA

Morgan's 2019 season was one of the most significant year-to-year improvements we have ever seen by a Power 5 quarterback. He took his passing grade rank from 104th in 2018 up to eighth in 2019. His anticipation is precisely what you want at the position, and it played a big part in his success last season. The Minnesota scheme and great supporting cast certainly played a role in him producing the second-best positively graded throw rate in the country last year. However, it takes two to tango, and Morgan certainly did his part.

6. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Texas might not have the same “elite program” status as they did in the early 2000s, but it's far from Ehlinger's fault. He posted an impressive 85.7 PFF grade in 2018 before improving that to an elite mark of 90.1 in 2019. Ehlinger produced 33 big-time throws last year, tying for the second-most in the country. He makes good decisions with the ball, he has excellent accuracy and mobility for a college quarterback, and he can take his play even further if he cuts down on his tendency to bail out of clean pockets.

7. KEDON SLOVIS, USC

Few expected Slovis to look like one of the best quarterbacks in college football after he was thrust into the starting role in Week 1 of 2019. Yet Slovis, a three-star true freshman last year, was the only other quarterback to rival Joe Burrow's historically good accuracy over the course of the college football season.

Slovis ranked second to only Burrow in the percentage of accurate passes thrown beyond the line of scrimmage. He also maneuvered the pocket exceptionally well and made magic on long-developing plays — he even earned a 90.1 PFF passing grade on pass attempts that took longer than 3 seconds from snap to pass, almost 7 grading points clear of the next returning signal-caller. If he cuts down on the fumbles in 2020 — something we'd expect from him with a year under his belt — Slovis will shoot even further up this list.

8. BROCK PURDY, IOWA STATE

Purdy might not have taken that next step in 2019 — or even matched what he did as a freshman in 2018, for that matter — but he's still very much one of the top quarterbacks in the country. As an underclassman over the last two years, Purdy has earned passing grades of 88.0 and 82.2, respectively. He put up some of the best anticipatory throws in the country over that span and hardly ever commits a mistake when he's in rhythm. He has a gamer mentality, as PFF lead draft analyst Mike Renner likes to say, but sometimes can play with fire when creating outside the structure (eight turnover-worthy plays on 60 such dropbacks in 2019). If Purdy cleans that up, he'll skyrocket.

9. DUSTIN CRUM, KENT STATE

Our top Group of 5 quarterback is none other than Kent State's Dustin Crum. The dual-threat quarterback produced a 91.7 PFF grade in his first year as a starter for the Golden Flashes, third in the FBS. He also avoided negatively graded throws at an exceptional rate — only Joe Burrow had a better negatively graded play rate in 2019. Crum has some real-deal arm talent, and it shows deep downfield. He put up 12 big-time throws on 40-plus-yard attempts, three more than any other FBS quarterback. If you hadn't heard of Crum until now, be sure to take note of this hidden gem.

10. LAYNE HATCHER, ARK STATE

Hatcher is currently locked in a quarterback competition with Logan Bonner, but this should be Hatcher's job to lose. Hatcher, who spent a year with Nick Saban and Alabama before transferring to Ark State, produced a 90.0 passing grade — sixth in the FBS — in his first game action at the college level when he took over from Bonner. Ark State produced just 0.06 EPA per pass play with Bonner under center, but that jumped to 0.151 with Hatcher at the helm — the best the Red Wolves have ever had with a single quarterback for a season in the PFF College era.

+++++

95. BO NIX, AUBURN

Nix may have won SEC Freshman of the Year, but he really didn’t play like it. When kept clean, Nix earned a 69.2 passing grade, which ranked 107th among 130 FBS quarterbacks. As said in the PFF College Magazine, he struggled to move the ball on schemed plays and has suspect downfield accuracy. Nix may have been a five-star recruit and the No. 1-ranked dual-threat quarterback coming out of high school, but we just haven’t seen enough from him to make us believe he will ever live up to that hype.

His completion percentage wasn’t that good, and he didn’t throw for all that many touchdowns. He played very well for a freshman last year. But he needs to take the next step to be good overall. I think he will take that step and finish the season higher. But you can’t fault them for being cautious.

We had an incredibly tough schedule last year. Im not sure any QB faced as many tough defenses we faced.  It may not have been a super flashy year for a QB,  and yeah, there were a few times he definitely looked like a freshman out there. All in all, hes got a lot of upside! ...Throw in CMs passing offence??....yeah,  pretty sure we will see articles this time next year where he sorta skyrockets up that list!

Definitely not under appreciated. If anything I think he gets the benefit of a doubt way too much for poor performances at times. With that being said, I am expecting some leaps this year. 

I find that article extremely hard to believe if they said there were 94 quarterbacks ahead of Bo Nix.  I am not saying he was top 10, but 95?

Mainly just to mess with my coworker (who is a huge MS St fan🤣), I showed him Burrow’s 2018 stats and Nix’s 2019 stats, which are very similar, and told him Nix would put up similar numbers to 2019 Burrow.  I went on for a few minutes before I let on I was joking.

I do, however, expect to see Bo make some major improvements this year.  He has the attitude and work ethic!  Now maybe there will be some better coaching decisions on that side of the ball.  🤷‍♂️

I think he was a typical freshman quarterback in a very tough league with a very difficult schedule. He made some very good plays in the Oregon game and in the Alabama game. He also made some very poor plays in other games. Hopefully we will see a progression the season. I think the new Coordinator will help tremendously.

That being said, number 95 is a little ridiculous. How many other quarterbacks could beat Alabama? Also some of the quarterbacks on this list ahead of him have not even played a game yet. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

His completion percentage wasn’t that good, and he didn’t throw for all that many touchdowns. He played very well for a freshman last year. But he needs to take the next step to be good overall. I think he will take that step and finish the season higher. But you can’t fault them for being cautious.

I agree on taking the next step. He had his fair share bad throws over the course of the season but he also had a lot of throw aways that were sacks for stidham the year before. Overall I think he has the talent and the intangibles to take that next step 

I'm excited to see what Nix does with a new play caller. I think a lot of AU people are expecting too much out of this guy so soon in his college career. But i also think having him ranked 95 is absolute garbage. Assuming we can put together an OL that can hold the pass rush for more than 3-5 seconds on occasion.....this will be a very telling year for what he can do. 

Just crossing my fingers that Morris can mesh better with Gus and provide the passing scheme we've needed for a few years.  

Hey it's 2020, what could go wrong?

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Florida, Lsu and Georgia. 

This is my first thought. He looked really rattled in these 3 games. Did not look impressive in the bowl game either.

The entire list was pretty whack tbh. A couple of questionable rankings:

1. Jamie Newman (3). Writer calls him "underrated", then proceeds to rank him 3rd. Not only that, but Newman's stats last year were honestly pretty poor:

Against non-conference opponents (Rice, MSU, Utah State, and Elon) he had: 94/136 (69%), 1239 yds, 14 TD, 2 INT.

Compare to Nix Non-Con (Ore, Tulane, Kent State, Samford, and Minn): 76/133 (57%), 871 yds, 6 TD, 2 INT

Against in-conference opponents he had: 126/225 (56%), 1629 yds, 12 TD, 9 INT. Opponents: UNC, @Boston College, Louisville, NC State, @Va Tech,  @Clemson, Duke, @Syracuse

Compare to Nix Conference: 141/244 (58%), 1671 yds, 10 TD, 4 INT. Opponents: @TAMU, Mississipi State, @Florida, @Arkansas, @LSU, Ole Miss, UGA, Bama

Total: 220/361 (60.9%), 2868 yds, 26 TDs, 11 INTs. 180 rushes, 574 yds, 6 TDs.

Compare to Nix: 217/377 (57.6%), 2542 yds, 16 TDs, 6 INTs. 97 rushes, 313 yds 7 TDs.

Newman's stats are better, but 92 spots better? And Nix's competition was objectively more difficult.

2. Mac Jones (24) is way too high considering the level of talent he was playing with. His Pick 6's cost Bama the Iron Bowl. 

3. Jarrett Guarantano at 36 and Kyle Trask at 48. This is an EXTREMELY bad take, and that's coming from someone who grew up a Vol fan.

4. Feleipe Franks at 53. The author literally calls him an "average at best" qb in the article, then ranks him in the top 40% of all QBs

5. Cammon Cooper at 93. He has yet to take a snap in college football, but is 2 snaps ahead of SEC Freshman of the year Bo Nix.

Edit: Users on Reddit are also pretty consistently agreeing that Bo was extremely low. https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/ic01xu/pff_college_football_quartbacks_ranked_from_1130/

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Definitely not under appreciated. If anything I think he gets the benefit of a doubt way too much for poor performances at times.

He's a very likeable, archetypal, legacy QB. There's no doubt that he get's the benefit of the doubt. I really like Bo Nix the person, teammate, leader. So, I will admit that my perception of his play is at least slightly skewed by my perception of him as a person. 

That said, he's now an experienced SEC quarterback playing with talent around him, and a QB friendly play caller. His play has nothing left to hide behind. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I agree with this. When you look at the numbers that is about where he belongs.  A few things will change this year.  I think with returning receivers and incoming receivers we will have more weapons plus a new OC .We will pass more and we won't be afraid to throw over the middle will also hit shorter passes to TE's and RB's in space which will improve Bo's numbers.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He's a very likeable, archetypal, legacy QB. There's no doubt that he get's the benefit of the doubt. I really like Bo Nix the person, teammate, leader. So, I will admit that my perception of his play is at least slightly skewed by my perception of him as a person. 

That said, he's now an experienced SEC quarterback playing with talent around him, and a QB friendly play caller. His play has nothing left to hide behind. 

I think "archetypal" is a perfect word in that post. That's exactly the word. And I think it informs so much of the conversation around him.

But he earned his recruiting ranking based on his accomplishments and there's no reason to think he won't live up to it if he has the right people leading and surrounding him. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Bo Nix- underappreciated heading into 2020
1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Edit: Users on Reddit are also pretty consistently agreeing that Bo was extremely low. https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/ic01xu/pff_college_football_quartbacks_ranked_from_1130/

Doing my best to fight for our honor over there 😅

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I hope the offensive line is hiding him. I don’t think any team will be great this year. One will come out on top though. 

2 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

The entire list was pretty whack tbh. A couple of questionable rankings:

1. Jamie Newman (3). Writer calls him "underrated", then proceeds to rank him 3rd. Not only that, but Newman's stats last year were honestly pretty poor:

Against non-conference opponents (Rice, MSU, Utah State, and Elon) he had: 94/136 (69%), 1239 yds, 14 TD, 2 INT.

Compare to Nix Non-Con (Ore, Tulane, Kent State, Samford, and Minn): 76/133 (57%), 871 yds, 6 TD, 2 INT

Against in-conference opponents he had: 126/225 (56%), 1629 yds, 12 TD, 9 INT. Opponents: UNC, @Boston College, Louisville, NC State, @Va Tech,  @Clemson, Duke, @Syracuse

Compare to Nix Conference: 141/244 (58%), 1671 yds, 10 TD, 4 INT. Opponents: @TAMU, Mississipi State, @Florida, @Arkansas, @LSU, Ole Miss, UGA, Bama

Total: 220/361 (60.9%), 2868 yds, 26 TDs, 11 INTs. 180 rushes, 574 yds, 6 TDs.

Compare to Nix: 217/377 (57.6%), 2542 yds, 16 TDs, 6 INTs. 97 rushes, 313 yds 7 TDs.

Newman's stats are better, but 92 spots better? And Nix's competition was objectively more difficult.

2. Mac Jones (24) is way too high considering the level of talent he was playing with. His Pick 6's cost Bama the Iron Bowl. 

3. Jarrett Guarantano at 36 and Kyle Trask at 48. This is an EXTREMELY bad take, and that's coming from someone who grew up a Vol fan.

4. Feleipe Franks at 53. The author literally calls him an "average at best" qb in the article, then ranks him in the top 40% of all QBs

5. Cammon Cooper at 93. He has yet to take a snap in college football, but is 2 snaps ahead of SEC Freshman of the year Bo Nix.

The only thing I'd argue is that he factored entire body of work in. Like with Trevor, the opening selection, he mentions the past two years, not just last year. His trajectory has been really something to marvel at all, picks are something he needs to work on though. Also, it looks like he's fusing that with "potential", which has been a qualifier I've seen other sites use to put Jamie in top 15 QB lists or heisman favorites. Sage Surratt and Greg Dortch were amazing but I don't think either are Pickens. 

I think Mac Jones deserves to be where he's at just because he's the Bama QB. being leader of that system in 2020 should guarantee you a top 25 on a list this regardless. If that sickens you, wait until this time next season when pundits get the chance to rank Bryce Young. 

if this is looking for the end result of production in where they're placing some guys, like im hoping (alot of inconsistencies), the QB that has Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith and like 2 other 5 star receivers that alot of people seem to love could only reach 24th in their eyes. In a way, they are saying he's overrated. 

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Well it is not even about you being skewed to be honest! Legit the media across the nation has absolutely hyped him up. I mean even folks up here in Wisconsin , who barely know anything about Auburn football, speaks highly about him. When I ask them what they know about him, they usually say he is a true freshman QB and he led us to victory against Oregon. Not entirely false, but it goes to show the power of the media. I am not hating on the young man. I feel like he has the talent to absolutely light the college world on fire like JB did last year. I just haven’t seen it yet, so I am always surprised to hear the likes of people like Kirk Herbstriet blow his name up, when I feel like some of his contemporaries do not get the same love, tbh. Still, I am thinking with Morris we will see a much better statistical Nix!

Archived