more racism...i bet they are repubs.....

aubiefifty

Harlem Globetrotter hit with fruit by Alabama TV anchors; station issues apology

shares

A member of the Harlem Globetrotters released a video Saturday evening accusing two Birmingham-based TV anchors of racism after they threw fruit at him during a televised segment recorded earlier this year.

Maxwell Pearce, an entrepreneur and viral athlete who played basketball for Purchase University in New York from 2015 to 2018, said the incident occurred during an appearance on WBRC’s Good Day Alabama show, a Fox affiliate. He delayed going public with his experience for fear of losing his job, but said that he hoped his decision would help others.

“By sharing this story, it can inspire people to share their experiences of racism and discrimination,” he said in the five-minute video. “Throwing a banana at a black man and passing it off as entertainment displays an unacceptable lack of awareness, and quite frankly I’m having a very difficult time understanding how someone could work in the media field and not know this is offensive.”

Pearce named anchor Clare Huddleston and lead weather forecaster Mickey Ferguson in the video, saying the pair threw two tangerines and a banana at him during a segment where he was supposed to be performing tricks with a basketball. Anchor Mike Dubberly is shown standing beside Pearce and laughing.

Pearce added that even if the offense was not intentional, it did not lessen the damage. “This carries deep racial undertones that date back to the early 1900s when black people were held in display in human zoos.”

Pearce, whose story comes amid a racism crisis in the country, said that he conducted a second interview with station to explain why the original segment was so offensive. However, he claims that much of the historical information he spoke about was later cut.

“This is another example of how history has been carefully presented to favor and safe face of the oppressor,” he said.

Shannon Isbell, WBRC’s News Director, said that the station had been in discussion with Pearce since the incident and had offered an apology.

“WBRC Fox6 would like to take this opportunity to again extend a heartfelt and sincere apology to Globetrotter Max Pearce,” said in a statement sent to AL.com Monday. “An on-air segment promoting a Globetrotters event with Mr. Pearce months ago was intended to be lighthearted. However, it became something deeply hurtful to our guest as the result of our lack of understanding. We are grateful for the several enlightening, educational conversations we have had with Max over the last two months. I was happy to have him on our show about racial inequality and faith that aired last Friday.”

That show can be viewed here.

Updated at 4:41 p.m. to correct the spelling of the name of one of the anchors.

it is fox news in the ham. i stand by my statement. besides the harlem globetrotters are sacred.........i mean who does this kind of crap for real?

On 8/17/2020 at 11:38 AM, aubiefifty said:

Harlem Globetrotter hit with fruit by Alabama TV anchors; station issues apology

shares

A member of the Harlem Globetrotters released a video Saturday evening accusing two Birmingham-based TV anchors of racism after they threw fruit at him during a televised segment recorded earlier this year.

Maxwell Pearce, an entrepreneur and viral athlete who played basketball for Purchase University in New York from 2015 to 2018, said the incident occurred during an appearance on WBRC’s Good Day Alabama show, a Fox affiliate. He delayed going public with his experience for fear of losing his job, but said that he hoped his decision would help others.

“By sharing this story, it can inspire people to share their experiences of racism and discrimination,” he said in the five-minute video. “Throwing a banana at a black man and passing it off as entertainment displays an unacceptable lack of awareness, and quite frankly I’m having a very difficult time understanding how someone could work in the media field and not know this is offensive.”

Pearce named anchor Clare Huddleston and lead weather forecaster Mickey Ferguson in the video, saying the pair threw two tangerines and a banana at him during a segment where he was supposed to be performing tricks with a basketball. Anchor Mike Dubberly is shown standing beside Pearce and laughing.

Pearce added that even if the offense was not intentional, it did not lessen the damage. “This carries deep racial undertones that date back to the early 1900s when black people were held in display in human zoos.”

Pearce, whose story comes amid a racism crisis in the country, said that he conducted a second interview with station to explain why the original segment was so offensive. However, he claims that much of the historical information he spoke about was later cut.

“This is another example of how history has been carefully presented to favor and safe face of the oppressor,” he said.

Shannon Isbell, WBRC’s News Director, said that the station had been in discussion with Pearce since the incident and had offered an apology.

“WBRC Fox6 would like to take this opportunity to again extend a heartfelt and sincere apology to Globetrotter Max Pearce,” said in a statement sent to AL.com Monday. “An on-air segment promoting a Globetrotters event with Mr. Pearce months ago was intended to be lighthearted. However, it became something deeply hurtful to our guest as the result of our lack of understanding. We are grateful for the several enlightening, educational conversations we have had with Max over the last two months. I was happy to have him on our show about racial inequality and faith that aired last Friday.”

That show can be viewed here.

Updated at 4:41 p.m. to correct the spelling of the name of one of the anchors.

it is fox news in the ham. i stand by my statement. besides the harlem globetrotters are sacred.........i mean who does this kind of crap for real?

4001F112-DEB2-4BF8-9873-6F0DFA9A3C1A.jpeg

4 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

4001F112-DEB2-4BF8-9873-6F0DFA9A3C1A.jpeg

you are not very bright are you? hows the body count?

6 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Mrs. Doubtfire reference alert:

"It was a run-by fruiting!"

I miss Robin Williams

hsCmqML.gif

Yasssss...and his "Jump Around"/House of Pain birthday dance at the beginning. Incredible talent! I miss him, too!

On 8/17/2020 at 10:38 AM, aubiefifty said:

Here's the thing: It sounds to me like they were doing a bunch of grab-azz stuff around the station, thoughts of what color anybody is didn't enter into it. Now, months later, this guy decides it's an opportune time to play the race card so he pulls it out and plays it.

Anybody that's played on or coached an integrated sports team knows quite well that horseplay goes on all the time and race doesn't have anything to do with it. It happens that way in offices too. It's called having fun when race is the farthest thing from anybody's mind.

If this guy was offended he should have brought the matter up at the time.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you are not very bright are you? hows the body count?

The worst body count is New York by far. 20% of all Covid-19 deaths in the United States are in Cuomo's state. Yet, he claims to have done a "beautiful job". Dems are a hoot! https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

Maxwell Pearce plays for an organization that uses the song Sweet Georgia Brown as it's theme song. It's a song about a black prostitute which refers to colored folks which is considered to be a racist term. I'm guessing he's not offended by that. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The worst body count is New York by far. 20% of all Covid-19 deaths in the United States are in Cuomo's state. Yet, he claims to have done a "beautiful job". Dems are a hoot! https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

that twenty percent pales in comparison to the **** up the president perpetuated on the american people to the tune of 160,00 and climbing while telling everyone it will magically go away. so mikey.....just magically go away dude.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that twenty percent pales in comparison to the **** up the president perpetuated on the american people to the tune of 160,00 and climbing while telling everyone it will magically go away. so mikey.....just magically go away dude.

The best Democrats could come up with was Pelosi's "Come to a street party in Chinatown" and various claims that a travel ban on China was Xenophobia. So clearly, had the Dems been in charge the numbers would be much, much worse. That's undeniable. Just look at Cuomo's tragic failure.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Here's the thing: It sounds to me like they were doing a bunch of grab-azz stuff around the station, thoughts of what color anybody is didn't enter into it. Now, months later, this guy decides it's an opportune time to play the race card so he pulls it out and plays it.

Anybody that's played on or coached an integrated sports team knows quite well that horseplay goes on all the time and race doesn't have anything to do with it. It happens that way in offices too. It's called having fun when race is the farthest thing from anybody's mind.

If this guy was offended he should have brought the matter up at the time.

you watch remember the titans mikey? remember the banana? that is from the nineties right? you can make all the excuses you want.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The best Democrats could come up with was Pelosi's "Come to a street party in Chinatown" and various claims that a travel ban on China was Xenophobia. So clearly, had the Dems been in charge the numbers would be much, much worse. That's undeniable. Just look at Cuomo's tragic failure.

yeah like your boy blamed covid as a dem hoax. keep hugging his testicles..........

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

yeah like your boy blamed covid as a dem hoax. keep hugging his testicles..........

Democrats would have done worse. All you have to do is look at NY, NJ, Michigan. Horrible, how the Dems mis-handled the virus.

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you watch remember the titans mikey? remember the banana? that is from the nineties right? you can make all the excuses you want.

I don't have to make excuses. You keep seeing a racist behind every leaf on a tree. Most Americans, regardless of race, don't give a darn about someone's color.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Democrats would have done worse. All you have to do is look at NY, NJ, Michigan. Horrible, how the Dems mis-handled the virus.

I don't have to make excuses. You keep seeing a racist behind every leaf on a tree. Most Americans, regardless of race, don't give a darn about someone's color.

yawns..............

Archived