i knew it! stupid ga schools...

aubiefifty

aol.com

Georgia high school closed due to coronavirus in district with 1K in quarantine

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

A Georgia school district that does not require masks has closed a high school and now has over 1,100 students and staff in quarantine due to the coronavirus.

The Cherokee County School District, based in Canton about 40 miles north of Atlanta, made the announcement Tuesday, just eight days after its schools reopened.

"This decision was not made lightly," Superintendent Brian Hightower said in a statement about the temporary halt to in-person instruction at Etowah High School. He said the high school had 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 15 tests pending as of Tuesday morning.

"As a result of the confirmed cases, 294 students and staff are under quarantine and, should the pending tests prove positive, that total would increase dramatically," the superintendent said.

In total, the district has 59 confirmed cases of the virus, Hightower said.

It also has 1,156 students and 37 staff in quarantine, according to a district list.

Hightower warned that because the coronavirus cases are predominantly at the district's high schools more of those schools could be closed.

The Cherokee County district — which has an enrollment of 42,000, of whom over 30,000 are receiving in-person instruction — recommends but does not require students to wear masks.

But the superintendent said in his statement that wearing masks may help prevent the closure of more schools.

"As your Superintendent, I wear a mask whenever I cannot social distance," Hightower said. "We know all parents do not believe the scientific research that indicates masks are beneficial, but I believe it and see masks as an important measure to help us keep schools open."

“When we announced plans to reopen schools with options of in-person learning and Digital Learning at home, we made clear the challenges that came along with this choice for our families,” he said.

Prior to the reopening of schools on Aug. 3, some teachers and parents protested the district's plan.

In July, dozens of demonstrators, including teachers, protested outside a school board meeting, according to Georgia Public Broadcasting.

And some teachers resigned before the school year started due to safety concerns, according to the Cherokee Tribune & Ledger-News.

One of them was teacher Allison Webb, who worked at Sequoyah High School.

“Out of 2,000 students in this school, 1,500 will be returning in person — without a mandatory mask requirement,” Webb told the news outlet in late July, saying this frightened her.

Another teacher said she was also concerned about the lack of a mask mandate, but planned to return to the classroom.

“My personal fear is that I’m going to die before my career is over, that this tiny virus is what’s going to take me out, and not old age or some horrific accident," science teacher Olivia Vacid told the Tribune & Ledger News. "I don’t understand the county’s refusal to mandate masking for students"

i told you this would happen. lets hope no one dies because you folks refuse to make masks mandatory. lets keep watch and see how many more. i bet you feel proud.

cj must be eatting supper. so tell me guys how do you defend stupid? i mean you guys have been doing it for trump for about four years now.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

aol.com

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

A Georgia school district that does not require masks has closed a high school and now has over 1,100 students and staff in quarantine due to the coronavirus.

The Cherokee County School District, based in Canton about 40 miles north of Atlanta, made the announcement Tuesday, just eight days after its schools reopened.

"This decision was not made lightly," Superintendent Brian Hightower said in a statement about the temporary halt to in-person instruction at Etowah High School. He said the high school had 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 15 tests pending as of Tuesday morning.

"As a result of the confirmed cases, 294 students and staff are under quarantine and, should the pending tests prove positive, that total would increase dramatically," the superintendent said.

It also has 1,156 students and 37 staff in quarantine, according to a district list.

Hightower warned that because the coronavirus cases are predominantly at the district's high schools more of those schools could be closed.

The Cherokee County district — which has an enrollment of 42,000, of whom over 30,000 are receiving in-person instruction — recommends but does not require students to wear masks.

But the superintendent said in his statement that wearing masks may help prevent the closure of more schools.

"As your Superintendent, I wear a mask whenever I cannot social distance," Hightower said. "We know all parents do not believe the scientific research that indicates masks are beneficial, but I believe it and see masks as an important measure to help us keep schools open."

“When we announced plans to reopen schools with options of in-person learning and Digital Learning at home, we made clear the challenges that came along with this choice for our families,” he said.

Prior to the reopening of schools on Aug. 3, some teachers and parents protested the district's plan.

In July, dozens of demonstrators, including teachers, protested outside a school board meeting, according to Georgia Public Broadcasting.

And some teachers resigned before the school year started due to safety concerns, according to the Cherokee Tribune & Ledger-News.

“Out of 2,000 students in this school, 1,500 will be returning in person — without a mandatory mask requirement,” Webb told the news outlet in late July, saying this frightened her.

Another teacher said she was also concerned about the lack of a mask mandate, but planned to return to the classroom.

“My personal fear is that I’m going to die before my career is over, that this tiny virus is what’s going to take me out, and not old age or some horrific accident," science teacher Olivia Vacid told the Tribune & Ledger News. "I don’t understand the county’s refusal to mandate masking for students"

i told you this would happen. lets hope no one dies because you folks refuse to make masks mandatory. lets keep watch and see how many more. i bet you feel proud.

I have always expected several schools will have to go completely virtual at times because of the guidelines that say everyone who is 6 feet or closer for 15 minutes or longer to someone who tests positive must quarantine for at least 14 days. I’m not surprised. This is why we already have a plan in place if we have too many who are required to quarantine. I fully expect they will start offering the option of coming to school for education as soon as enough of the quarantines are over. 

As for us we have had a wonderful 3 days of school here and our community is thankful for every day we are able to allow our students to have the option of coming to school. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

aol.com

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

Just for you ja 

Taken in one of our schools here 

EE22A0B0-AFDC-4910-9FD0-7ACCCEDD340D.jpeg

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

aol.com

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

Another one from our school and just for you ja

9A33184A-E694-466D-B4E8-08387D331EFC.jpeg

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

aol.com

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

Since some of the young ones touch their littles faces much more often when wearing a mask putting them at more risk of catching this virus; me and some other men installed plexiglass. Another one just for you ah

58E64707-D364-4E1E-99F9-903734396DB9.jpeg

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Well, if school authorities are going to go overboard and send 1,100 students home because of a virus that is basically harmless to them, what can anyone do?

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well, if school authorities are going to go overboard and send 1,100 students home because of a virus that is basically harmless to them, what can anyone do?

It isn’t the school system really, but instead it is the guidelines they are required to follow given to them by the Georgia Dept. of Health. If you don’t follow the guidelines you leave your system exposed to potential legal liability. 

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

aol.com

AOL Staff

3-4 minutes

Put this in your bong and smoke it

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Put this in your bong and smoke it

image.jpeg

it is early. and you forget many that get covid often have heart trouble. you can say what you want but at the end of the day you are helping put those kids at risk. i could care less what the parents say. seatbelts and motorcycle helmets save lives and are required by law. lots of parents do not push those like they should. car seats. they all save lives if used with common sense. you people are playing fast and loose with those kids over there and most on here would agree with the rest of us. there are many who feel like i do. hell you are being dishonest because you said yourself you wish they would wear masks a couple of times but then you turn around and want to spout off how well things are going and it has not been a week yet. time will tell the tale. and for the record i do not have a bong but i like your comeback. you still be wrong cj.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

if the damn thing was not harmless why would they send anyone home mikey? you are slipping old man...........

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if the damn thing was not harmless why would they send anyone home mikey? you are slipping old man...........

One reason is because if you don't follow the guidelines you leave your school system open to being successfully sued. 

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

One reason is because if you don't follow the guidelines you leave your school system open to being successfully sued. 

you missed the point cj. if it was harmless why would they send kids home? they would not. because it is not harmless. do they send a whole school home because someone breaks an arm or leg?

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it is early. and you forget many that get covid often have heart trouble. you can say what you want but at the end of the day you are helping put those kids at risk. i could care less what the parents say. seatbelts and motorcycle helmets save lives and are required by law. lots of parents do not push those like they should. car seats. they all save lives if used with common sense. you people are playing fast and loose with those kids over there and most on here would agree with the rest of us. there are many who feel like i do. hell you are being dishonest because you said yourself you wish they would wear masks a couple of times but then you turn around and want to spout off how well things are going and it has not been a week yet. time will tell the tale. and for the record i do not have a bong but i like your comeback. you still be wrong cj.

There has been no evidence of heart trouble with anyone 18 or under caused by Covid-19 per the medical experts providing us guidance. Even the Mayo Clinic endorsed our plan.  The CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics both say children should be in school.  The guidance from the medical community is it is overall safer and better overall for 18 and unders to be in school in areas that have a less than 5% of cases of Covid-19.  We have 1.1% in our community. 

Also, you overlook the fact that 18 and unders will mostly not be in isolation if they weren't in school. Done correctly, they are at no more risk at school than they are away from school of catching Covid-19. 

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you missed the point cj. if it was harmless why would they send kids home? they would not. because it is not harmless. do they send a whole school home because someone breaks an arm or leg?

You want to limit the spread as much as possible when you know someone has it and you want to avoid lawsuits. Nobody has said it is harmless.  

11 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Since some of the young ones touch their littles faces much more often when wearing a mask putting them at more risk of catching this virus; me and some other men installed plexiglass. Another one just for you ah

58E64707-D364-4E1E-99F9-903734396DB9.jpeg

yall are still being reckless with those kids. all of them. go ask pass the biscuits who is an auburn doctor and get his opinion. i already know you are wrong. and you are wrong about the masks. and yall are also throwing staff under the bus. you might as well quit wasting your time cj because you will never change my mind.

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You want to limit the spread as much as possible when you know someone has it and you want to avoid lawsuits. Nobody has said it is harmless.  

yeah? wait until the first kid or teacher gets sick and sues the crap out of the school board and the gov because masks were not required. and like i said it is early.................

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

yeah? wait until the first kid or teacher gets sick and sues the crap out of the school board and the gov because masks were not required. and like i said it is early.................

They don't have a case per our legal firm (which also represents 75% of all of the school systems in GA) because they have a virtual option.  Nobody is forcing any student to attend and no high risk staff member is even allowed in our building. Masks also don't make you immune to catching the virus. Masks are also more risky overall for some people/students than not wearing a mask. 

15 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

yall are still being reckless with those kids. all of them. go ask pass the biscuits who is an auburn doctor and get his opinion. i already know you are wrong. and you are wrong about the masks. and yall are also throwing staff under the bus. you might as well quit wasting your time cj because you will never change my mind.

I'm not trying to change you mind.  I'm sure these children would be at less risk at home while playing with their friends as I am sure they all have plexiglass at home. Our system is simply following the advise of the medical and legal experts. 

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

They don't have a case per our legal firm (which also represents 75% of all of the school systems in GA) because they have a virtually option.  Nobody is forcing any student to attend and no high risk staff member is even allowed in our building. Masks also don't make you immune to catching the virus. Masks are also more risky overall for some people/students than not wearing a mask. 

so what if kids cannot afford computers are you guys providing them? i gotta take my blind friend to the doctor so i will take this back up when i get home.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so what if kids cannot afford computers are you guys providing them? i gotta take my blind friend to the doctor so i will take this back up when i get home.

Yes, we have provided chromebooks to all students.....those in school and those taking classes online.  We also have hotspots in the few areas in our community that need it. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Go back up-thread and look at the chart that was provided. I said "basically harmless" to the the age group in question and the chart bears that out.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Go back up-thread and look at the chart that was provided. I said "basically harmless" to the the age group in question and the chart bears that out.

mickey they still do not have all the facts. there are differing strains of covid and also they do not know the extent of all the damage the virul does to your body before it is gone.

• TitanTiger changed the title to i knew it! stupid ga schools...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just completed our second week of school with over 1,400 out of over 1,800 of our students electing to get their educations in school. We also have 250 employees in our school buildings. So far we have had ZERO positive cases and have been required to quarantine 32. None of the people in quarantine have any symptoms but they were exposed to this virus outside of school and therefore they are out for a minimum of 14 days per the guidelines we must follow. They can return at the end of the quarantine period as long as they are still showing no symptoms. 

Archived