coaches, ADs and admin support #WeWantToPlay

aubiefifty

Here are SEC coaches, ADs and administrators who voice support for #WeWantToPlay

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

4-5 minutes

The college football world is speaking out, one by one, to voice opinion about whether the season should be played.

SEC coaches are no different.

Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke out Monday for the players and their desire to play the upcoming season.

On a day that started with a report the Big Ten was planning to cancel the upcoming season, many in the industry took social medial to voice their support for a season. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said in a statement the virus can be handled, while Nebraska coach Scott Frost said his team would look at other options if the Big Ten canceled the season.

Many SEC coaches, athletic directors and administrators spoke out on social media Monday, standing for the players who want to play.

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne is all-in with the Crimson Tide.

“Wholeheartedly support our student-athletes, coaches & staff and commend our leadership from the @SEC, @UofAlabama & @UASystem for their direction and guidance as we navigate these issues. #WeWantToPlay #RollTide”.

LSU athletic director Scott Woodward released a statement.

“We remain steadfast in our approach in the Southeastern Conference, taking all the available time to gather as much information as possible in order to make informed decisions. We are united in our process and our focus on the safety and well-being of our student-athletes. The recent flood of reports surrounding college athletics does not alter that approach. As we have said since the beginning, we are patiently working through each and every variable following the direction of our Return to Safety and Medical Guidance Task Force. I believe our student-athletes want to play. We owe it to them to make every effort to do so safely.”

Florida coach Dan Mullen pointed to medical protocol and plans to fight to make sure his players get a chance to play.

“I am so proud of our players,” Florida coach Dan Mullen tweeted. “Their commitment to medical guidelines to stay safe has showed their resolve in preparing the right way for the season. They deserve to play this fall. They have worked so hard for this. Let’s fight for them and find a way. #WeWantToPlay”

“This afternoon, I met with our football team and staff to have an open conversation about playing football this fall,” UT chancellor Donde Plowman tweeted. “At the end of our discussion, I asked if they wanted to play football and the answer was a resounding YES.”

“Our players want to play!” Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin tweeted. “Our staff wants to coach them! I’m so proud of our team #WeWantToPlay.”

Mississippi State tweeted a powerful video with the hashtag: #WeWantToPlay.

Bulldogs athletic director John Cohen re-tweeted the video in full support of his players.

“Love the passion, perseverance and resilience shown by all of our student-athletes, especially during these ever-changing circumstances,” Cohen said. “We will continue fully supporting our student-athletes, coaches and staff, while keeping their health and safety our highest priority.

Arkansas coach Sam Pittman was complimentary of his players and staff.

“The way our student athletes have handled these uncertain times is incredible and our staff is so proud of them. As the Head Coach of Arkansas. #WeWantToPlay.

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork is supporting his football players.

“Love the work ethic of @AggieFootball. Despite the some uncertainty, they continue to stay focused on their craft & passion for the game of football. We are supporting them at the highest level in all facets of their health & safety. #WeWantToPlay.”

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

no comments from gus or auburn i see. i have been out of the loop fighting for justice and the american way on the pol boards so i might have missed something.

Has Gus Malzahn voiced his opinion on what the SEC should do? I know saban has giving his thoughts on what should be done. ESPN is all over what saban said. Their acting like he is some god and the NCAA should do as he says. I would like to hear what Gus has to say.

• WarTiger changed the title to coaches, ADs and admin support #WeWantToPlay

Basically All viruses have the potential to affect the heart. 

4 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Basically All viruses have the potential to affect the heart. 

Correct. 
Data are murky whether or not COVID-19 has increased odds. Some suggestion that it could for hearts that are more prone...like those of a large-bodied man. 

I expect the coaches to all say that they want to play and support the athletes...then the University presidents will make the decisions for them (based on what is best for the University).

So, something interesting about the heart. The stress of the worry about the virus (and it could be other stressful things as well) can cause the left ventricle of the heart to enlarge. It is stress-induced cardiomyopathy called "Broken-heart syndrome", or Takotsubo syndrome. I think that is what happened to me earlier this summer. Fortunately, it is reversible. I wonder if some of the issues they are seeing with the heart are not related to the actual virus, but the stress of worrying about the virus. You medical guys would know better than me. Here's the link to the short article I read:

https://www.wfla.com/news/health-news/study-broken-heart-syndrome-has-increased-amid-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR0HKQD1nRYBZ1a5fEGBn_n1DA1Ache47Vmb8pn_D5WYMXv1DzmDKF4YT-E

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

So, something interesting about the heart. The stress of the worry about the virus (and it could be other stressful things as well) can cause the left ventricle of the heart to enlarge. It is stress-induced cardiomyopathy called "Broken-heart syndrome", or Takotsubo syndrome. I think that is what happened to me earlier this summer. Fortunately, it is reversible. I wonder if some of the issues they are seeing with the heart are not related to the actual virus, but the stress of worrying about the virus. You medical guys would know better than me. Here's the link to the short article I read:

https://www.wfla.com/news/health-news/study-broken-heart-syndrome-has-increased-amid-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR0HKQD1nRYBZ1a5fEGBn_n1DA1Ache47Vmb8pn_D5WYMXv1DzmDKF4YT-E

I hope you have made a complete recovery! I am sorry you have been through such difficulty.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I hope you have made a complete recovery! I am sorry you have been through such difficulty.

I'm good. I was just worried that I was heading for a heart attack with chest pain and shortness of breath, but actually, everything checked out fine with the exception of a very slightly enlarged left ventricle. Weight loss, exercise, and less worry will help that. Thank you! Just interesting that stress can cause that physical reaction.

I don't think we should have these guys play, but it's been a bad look to see the two football offerings try to move forward without actually consulting players as much as they can. At the end of the day, let the people who's going to assume the risk (one way or another) have an opinion

On 8/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, auburn4ever said:

Has Gus Malzahn voiced his opinion on what the SEC should do? I know saban has giving his thoughts on what should be done. ESPN is all over what saban said. Their acting like he is some god and the NCAA should do as he says. I would like to hear what Gus has to say.

I don't think his opinion would get anywhere near the same traction anyway. Right or not, Saban's voice probably holds as much weight as someone like Emmert. Maybe even more with his menial ramblings in response to any hard hitting question

Archived