Traivon Leonard opts out

aubiefifty

Auburn’s Traivon Leonard opts out of 2020 season following battle with COVID-19

Auburn football

Traivon Leonard works during interception drills. Auburn football practice, full pads, on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn reserve defensive back Traivon Leonard has decided to opt out of the 2020 season after recently being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Leonard announced on his Instagram account Friday afternoon his decision while revealing he was diagnosed with the novel coronavirus about two weeks ago. Leonard is choosing to opt out due to underlying health issues. He becomes the second Auburn player to opt out this season, joining senior linebacker Chandler Wooten, who chose to do so because he is set to become a first-time father in November.

link

Reserve Auburn defensive back opts out of season

8710802.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama - Senior Auburn defensive back Traivon Leonard revealed in an Instagram post Friday, after contracting COVID-19, he is opting out of the 2020 season.

Leonard, from West Palm Beach, Fla., was expected to be reserve defensive back in the coming season.

“Dear Auburn family and teammates: After much thought and prayer, I think it is best that I inform you all that I will be opting out of the 2020 season due to health concerns,” Leonard wrote. “About two weeks ago, I found out that I had contracted COVID-19. During that time, it became extremely hard to get out of bed and even do normal things like washing my face, etc. I am currently making strides to get better every day health-wise. I have an underlying lying condition that will not allow me to compete at my best throughout the season. To protect my family, it is best that I opt out and focus on those things.”

5COMMENTS

Leonard is the second Auburn player to opt out of the season because of COVID-19, joining linebacker Chandler Wooten, who announced his decision Thursday.

“This was a tough decision for sure,” Leonard continued. “However, I am in God’s hands. To my teammates, you all gave me the best three years through laughter and fun times on the field. I will definitely miss y’all this year. I appreciate you guys and all the times we had. I wish you all the very best on and off the field. I am one call away and I love all of you. Stay safe fellas!”

• WarTiger changed the title to Traivon Leonard opts out
1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

I was under the impression you couldn't get it twice.

I'm not sure where you got that impression unless maybe it was early on in the pandemic. In the last few months the question of re-infection has become one where the answer is far less than certain. There seem to be cases of re-infection but "seem" is the operative word. The medical science is as yet unclear on a definitive answer.

He made the right choice you don't take risks with your life to play a game. My prayers are with him and his family.

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

Jury is still out on reinfection. I think your chances of getting it again are lower but not zero. Also, maybe he’s got family members that he sees regularly with health problems.

16 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Jury is still out on reinfection. I think your chances of getting it again are lower but not zero. Also, maybe he’s got family members that he sees regularly with health problems.

kinda like getting a vaccine 

If one can catch it twice in a short time period, then a vaccine will be worthless.

Falling back on my days in several AU classrooms, I don't think we'll see the mainstream catching this twice. Leonard alluded to some other, underlying health issues and that combined with the virus may be what's making him feel like he can't perform this season.

I was released from the hospital today. And I had covid back in June. I've been tested twice since then. Both negative. I was referred to in the hospital as a double negative. The consensus being I was unlikely to be infected again. With that being said one of the reasons I was in  the hospital is the covid whacked out my heart's electrical system, causing an irregular heartbeat. 

So I gather reinfection can occur but would be rare. However, the covid can cause lingering health issues long after it is no longer present in the body.

5 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I was released from the hospital today. And I had covid back in June. I've been tested twice since then. Both negative. I was referred to in the hospital as a double negative. The consensus being I was unlikely to be infected again. With that being said one of the reasons I was in  the hospital is the covid whacked out my heart's electrical system, causing an irregular heartbeat. 

So I gather reinfection can occur but would be rare. However, the covid can cause lingering health issues long after it is no longer present in the body.

Are you okay now?

7 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

How did they get it under control? Cardioversion and/or anti-arrhythmia drugs?

12 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Very Glad to hear about your recovery!

12 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I'm glad you're out of the hospital and doing OK (per other replies.)  Here's to your continued good health.

War Eagle!

On 8/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, auskip07 said:

In Wisconsin we just had the first case of the same person getting it twice, once in April and this week.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:32 AM, SumterAubie said:

Man that’s awful. I’m curious how they treated you. I’m not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I also wonder if how they are treating the virus might be causing some issues, not just the virus itself. 

Either way, prayer up for you for a complete recovery. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Man that’s awful. I’m curious how they treated you. I’m not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I also wonder if how they are treating the virus might be causing some issues, not just the virus itself. 

Either way, prayer up for you for a complete recovery. 

Steroids to reduce the periocarditis/myocarditis inflammation which was viral but not covid. Stent for blockage. Medication to get the arrhythmia worked out.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:21 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not sure where you got that impression unless maybe it was early on in the pandemic. In the last few months the question of re-infection has become one where the answer is far less than certain. There seem to be cases of re-infection but "seem" is the operative word. The medical science is as yet unclear on a definitive answer.

Not to get on too much of a tangent, but the consensus seems to be that the rumors of people getting it twice were mostly incorrect (NYT has reiterated this multiple times lately). Some people are just really unlucky and just have an extended time where the virus is active and therefore keep testing positive. I respect his decision though - would be tough to play football right after recovering from a virus that affects your lungs.

1 hour ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Not to get on too much of a tangent, but the consensus seems to be that the rumors of people getting it twice were mostly incorrect (NYT has reiterated this multiple times lately). Some people are just really unlucky and just have an extended time where the virus is active and therefore keep testing positive. I respect his decision though - would be tough to play football right after recovering from a virus that affects your lungs.

As of now I don't know that there is a consensus. My understanding is that medical science just does not have a firm answer as yet.

Archived