Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

aubiefifty

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

ByJason Caldwell

4-5 minutes

And here we go

From what we have been told it was a very good first few days for the Auburn football Tigers on the field for walk-through workouts with the coaching staff as they continue towards putting on the pads for the first time on August 12. This two-week period is being used by Gus Malzahn and his staff as strictly an installation time to give them a leg up when they actually can begin full speed workouts. With meeting time and video work as well, Auburn is putting in the basics on offense, defense and special teams.

This is a great time for the new offensive line to get a feel for assignments without having to worry about the physical side of the game. That will come in a hurry once the pads go on, but right now it has given Coach Jack Bicknell a chance to really work with his guys to get them ready for what’s coming.

While there is a football allowed for the workouts, Auburn isn’t doing much in the way of throwing during the walk-throughs. Instead that continues to be a focus for Bo Nix and the guys during voluntary workouts. With the opportunity to get on the field and run routes, they have been working hard on timing and getting together this summer to get ready for the season.

With the SEC presidents set to meet this week via conference call and SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey pointing towards a decision at the end of July on what the season may look like, this could be a pivotal week for the sport moving forward. While they wait, Malzahn and the Tigers will continue to do what they’ve done all along and that’s just to keep working.

Very Deserving 
This week former Auburn and NFL running back Ronnie Brown will be inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. I can’t think of a better guy to earn such an individual honor because he was team-first all the way.

As much as I believe Kodi Burns’ attitude and how he handled things was a catalyst to that 2010 season, having Brown take on the role of fullback and tailback in 2004 and never blink was as selfless as anything I can remember at Auburn. 

One of the most talented guys to come through Auburn, Brown could have easily left to search for greener pastures where he would get all the carries and push for a Heisman. He wanted to win. 
That combination of Brown and Cadillac Williams will go down as one of the best ever in college football.

Impressive Performances for Golf Teams

It was a busy week for Nick Clinard’s men’s golf team on the amateur links as most of the team was in action in different tournaments around the country. Taking part in the prestigious Sunnehanna Amateur in Pennsylvania, Brandon Mancheno finished in a tie for fourth with Graysen Huff tying for seventh and Jovan Rebula finishing 59th. In Kansas, Wells Padgett lost in a playoff in the finals of the Kansas Amateur. Closer to home, walk-on freshman Max Johnson from Fairhope won the Alabama Junior Championship by four shots with rounds of 66, 69 and 67 at Good Pond Colony Resort in Scottsboro.

On the women’s side, the Tigers have had a pair of winners this summer with Mychael O’Berry winning the Alabama Stroke Play Championship and Megan Schofill winning the Florida Women’s Amateur. Trailing the leader by 10 shots heading into the final round, Schofill fired a 67 to win the title.

Glad to see the guys trying to get back in the swing of things.  It’s hard to believe we’re almost in August and football should be starting in about 4 weeks.  

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Glad to see the guys trying to get back in the swing of things.  It’s hard to believe we’re almost in August and football should be starting in about 4 weeks.  

i have been staying at home as much as possible so i need it as i am about to go crazy. errr crazier than i already am.

Archived