i lost a good friend today over politics

aubiefifty

i have known him and been friends since the early sixties. he is a trump guy and i could care less tho i give trump hell on facebook. he told a friend he could not believe how liberal i was like it was a bad thing. this guy and i used to get high together. we jammed together which got me in my first band. we double dated. now he is a preacher and one that i trust. we always get together for lunch once a month or did before covid. he was supposed to call me back twice and has not. i asked was he mad and he replied saying he loved me and he is busy. but the thing is he is not. i believe he loves me because god commands us to love everyone but no time for a phone call?but between that and trump sending in shock troops to portland and his lying about covid causing people to die had caused my depression to rear it's ugly head bigtime. and not anger but sadness. i am sleeping too much and just letting things go. i lay down about one or two and sleep until the next day. i even deleted my facebook account hoping if he does not see i am ok he might call back. and i have never said one word to him about trump. not one single word. but to lose a fifty something year friendship is hard to take. i do not hate anyone when i speak out about trump because i believe it is my duty as an american citizen. and yes i know putting this out here makes me vulnerable to enemies but it is what it is. i have to vent.

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have known him and been friends since the early sixties. he is a trump guy and i could care less tho i give trump hell on facebook. he told a friend he could not believe how liberal i was like it was a bad thing. this guy and i used to get high together. we jammed together which got me in my first band. we double dated. now he is a preacher and one that i trust. we always get together for lunch once a month or did before covid. he was supposed to call me back twice and has not. i asked was he mad and he replied saying he loved me and he is busy. but the thing is he is not. i believe he loves me because god commands us to love everyone but no time for a phone call?but between that and trump sending in shock troops to portland and his lying about covid causing people to die had caused my depression to rear it's ugly head bigtime. and not anger but sadness. i am sleeping too much and just letting things go. i lay down about one or two and sleep until the next day. i even deleted my facebook account hoping if he does not see i am ok he might call back. and i have never said one word to him about trump. not one single word. but to lose a fifty something year friendship is hard to take. i do not hate anyone when i speak out about trump because i believe it is my duty as an american citizen. and yes i know putting this out here makes me vulnerable to enemies but it is what it is. i have to vent.

Sorry to hear. All I can say is it doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. Hate you lost a 50 something year old friendship over politics. I typically just avoid most political discussions on FB. People get too butthurt over a difference of opinion. I think for the most part most people want what’s best for America, we just have differences in how we think it should be achieved. 

This is the only place I will discuss politics anymore.Ive dialed it way back on Facebook.  Just recently had a jackass put words in my mouth and try to expose me as something I’m not. I don’t know him and he doesn’t know me. It was very embarrassing. Not anything that I did or said was embarrassing the fact I was conversing at all is just silly. That’s hindsight. Lesson learned. Only positive s*** on Facebook from now on. Well I was actually being positive when this happened. I never want to be an a**hole. To anyone. 

I have a problem with some of my family members (Fox bots), and like they say, "you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family".  (I told my mother it's a damn shame I have family members that I wouldn't accept as friends.)

He's not family, so I'd say good riddance. 

Sorry to hear about your depression.  It's certainly going around.

well i prayed last night.slept too much again. i woke up this morning and guess who called? he said he has really just been busy and was sorry he told me he would call me back. i told him it had been over two months and what was i to think? anyway we are good and he still loves my lib behind with no doubt. it is odd how i am not atheist but i wonder why god never talks to me like he does other people. maybe he does or does not but my prayers were answered. i mean this is my boy even if he did graduate from bama with honors. now we all need to be good and wear masks so we can have football and i can get back to the eating a meal once a month with him. i needed something positive and i got it. i still plan on watching less news and keeping my facebook account deactivated for a while. i would rather do the aufam thing where i can vent and people can vent back without losing friends or family members.

34 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well i prayed last night.slept too much again. i woke up this morning and guess who called? he said he has really just been busy and was sorry he told me he would call me back. i told him it had been over two months and what was i to think? anyway we are good and he still loves my lib behind with no doubt. it is odd how i am not atheist but i wonder why god never talks to me like he does other people. maybe he does or does not but my prayers were answered. i mean this is my boy even if he did graduate from bama with honors. now we all need to be good and wear masks so we can have football and i can get back to the eating a meal once a month with him. i needed something positive and i got it. i still plan on watching less news and keeping my facebook account deactivated for a while. i would rather do the aufam thing where i can vent and people can vent back without losing friends or family members.

Glad it worked out for you!! 

I am not trying to be a jerk (I don't have to try to do that, right?) but why did you assume that you lost him as a friend and then why did you assume it was over politics? It turns out that the answer was what he told you from the beginning!

Regarding God talking to you, I only know of a very few people who have heard God talk to them audibly.  In my experience, God reveals things to people more than He talks to them.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Damn, you are going to really get it for posting rational adult thinking on this forum...I am sure there are many here that are disappointed you didnt give in to the Darkside.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I am not trying to be a jerk (I don't have to try to do that, right?) but why did you assume that you lost him as a friend and then why did you assume it was over politics? It turns out that the answer was what he told you from the beginning!

Regarding God talking to you, I only know of a very few people who have heard God talk to them audibly.  In my experience, God reveals things to people more than He talks to them.

he told a mutual friend i was too liberal for him and he admitted it. but once we talked neither of us like abortion and that sort of thing he was fine. he said he was fine anyway. odd we climbed a water tower that sits on a cliff in gadsden and he was an athiest. we sat and marveled at the universe and without preaching i convinced him there was a higher power. i kid him about me saving his soul and he rolls his eyes. but no grumps facebook is a battle ground and i have seen families break up and couples split. but my personal opinion is if i see a wrong i should call it out like the screw ups with covid or kids in cells. silence is the great enabler.

You sure you really want to be friends with a maga gump?  Seemed like a blessing to me.

8 minutes ago, The Freak said:

You sure you really want to be friends with a maga gump?  Seemed like a blessing to me.

you would never know he was a maga unless he told you. and he is a respectable gump. he never rubs it in the face of his football enemies believe it or not. and he dislikes tennessee more than auburn. he is hands down one of the best men i know.

That's becoming way too commonplace these days. It's one of the reasons I try and stay off of FB and the like.  Religion and politics are such polarizing topics and it isn't worth losing some friends or family over at the end of the day. (Some I might not be too broken up about though.  ;)  )

At least with sports, the heated discussions can be worked out over a pint or two potentially.  The others are too emotional for some folks and they just cannot get past it.

It's a shame really.

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

That's becoming way too commonplace these days. It's one of the reasons I try and stay off of FB and the like.  Religion and politics are such polarizing topics and it isn't worth losing some friends or family over at the end of the day. (Some I might not be too broken up about though.  ;)  )

At least with sports, the heated discussions can be worked out over a pint or two potentially.  The others are too emotional for some folks and they just cannot get past it.

It's a shame really.

Religion, Politics and Sports. All three can get you killed in some countries. 

20 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It's a shame really.

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you would never know he was a maga unless he told you. and he is a respectable gump. he never rubs it in the face of his football enemies believe it or not. and he dislikes tennessee more than auburn. he is hands down one of the best men i know.

Sounds like he's an enigma, a mystery wrapped in a riddle.

Archived