Auburn Flashback - 2014 LSU Game

StatTiger

Entering the 2014 Auburn-LSU game, Auburn had lost 6 of the last seven meetings against LSU. The Auburn Tigers were the defending SEC Champions currently 16-2 under Gus Malzahn in his second season at Auburn and ranked No. 5 in the country. LSU came into the contest ranked No. 15 with a 4-1 record on the season. Before 2014, this game decided who would win the West in 7 of the last 11 meetings, making it a pivotal showdown in the West.

The Auburn Tigers played its best game of the season, crushing LSU, 41-7. Auburn outgained LSU with 566-yards of total offense to LSU’s 280-yards. The hometown Tigers picked up 25 first downs while holding LSU to 13. Les Mile’s offense struggled with a new starting quarterback, failing to convert any of their 13 third-down situations. Nick Marshall had 326-yards of total offense and was responsible for four touchdowns.

Cameron Artis-Payne totaled 161-yards of total offense, and Sammie Coates had 144-yards receiving. The Auburn Tigers played their most complete game of the season, dominating in all three phases of the game. The victory kept Auburn in the National Championship discussion for a week but was upset the following week on the road in Starkville, Mississippi.

The 2014 Auburn Tigers managed to win two more games after losing to Mississippi State, holding a 7-1 record in the Texas A&M game. Auburn would lose four of their last five games as the defense suffered a mid-season collapse. After allowing 307-yards and 14 points per game during the first five games of the season, the Tigers allowed 457-yards 34 points per game during the final eight games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This game gets forgotten because of our 5 losses that year but that was a thorough dismantling of LSU that night. That was a fun evening, start to finish we dominated.

That was an interesting moment. After that game, I was pretty damn confident that we were about to witness the greatest era of AU football over the next few seasons. 

Ummm don't tell anyone that part though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nick freakin Marshall. Watch how many times he makes a man miss. Underrated passer also. Arm strength for days.

CAP had more speed back then. I think he got a little too top heavy. He’s still got a job in the NFL tho....just won’t be with Brady this year. 

Coates had all the talent in the world... but those hands. We needed some superglue.

No wonder our D struggled for the rest of the year. Most of the time we got nothing up front. This was a case of extremely poor qb play from LSU imo.

This shows what a CGM offense can do when the qb is mobile. It sets everything up when the qb runs. Doesn’t have to do it lots, but the D has to respect the possibility. 

Fave thing about this game: the LSU fans at halftime were the nicest I’ve ever seen them. They knew their biscuits were burnt.

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Nick freakin Marshall. Watch how many times he makes a man miss. Underrated passer also. Arm strength for days.

CAP had more speed back then. I think he got a little too top heavy. He’s still got a job in the NFL tho....just won’t be with Brady this year. 

Coates had all the talent in the world... but those hands. We needed some superglue.

No wonder our D struggled for the rest of the year. Most of the time we got nothing up front. This was a case of extremely poor qb play from LSU imo.

This shows what a CGM offense can do when the qb is mobile. It sets everything up when the qb runs. Doesn’t have to do it lots, but the D has to respect the possibility. 

Fave thing about this game: the LSU fans at halftime were the nicest I’ve ever seen them. They knew their biscuits were burnt.

Nick Marshall and the arm strength thing..100% with ya. Dude had a rocket launcher for an arm. Might sound crazy to say/think, but I seriously wonder who could actually throw the deep ball further...Nick or Cam. I would have paid money to watch a PPV of those guys chunking deep balls in some sort of a crazy deep ball contest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Nick Marshall and the arm strength thing..100% with ya. Dude had a rocket launcher for an arm. Might sound crazy to say/think, but I seriously wonder who could actually throw the deep ball further...Nick or Cam. I would paid money to watch a PPV of those guys chunking deep balls in some sort of a crazy deep ball contest. 

Marshall. Cam might throw it through a brick wall, but NM would throw it further

• Like 3

I thought we were the best team in the country after this game, it was a pounding of the highest order. Bo Nix may eventually eclipse him but I think Nick Marshall is the best quarterback Gus has had as a head coach. I am willing to die on this hill.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:50 PM, twilli13 said:

Nick Marshall and the arm strength thing..100% with ya. Dude had a rocket launcher for an arm. Might sound crazy to say/think, but I seriously wonder who could actually throw the deep ball further...Nick or Cam. I would have paid money to watch a PPV of those guys chunking deep balls in some sort of a crazy deep ball contest. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:09 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Marshall. Cam might throw it through a brick wall, but NM would throw it further

Yup. Nick had whatever arm mechanics Mike Vick and Randall Cunningham had. All strong dudes, but something about their mechanics allowed them to put absolutely absurd velocity on their passes. 

I'd take Cam in just about any other athletic contest but Nick could definitely push the football harder. 

Top 5 most fun game I've ever been to along with 2017 win against UGA. Both games were dominating from beginning to end.  

Edited by AuGrad2004

On 6/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, auburn4ever said:

Love theses Flashback vedio's.

Glad you like them. They have been fun to make for the memories but it does take work, especially on the career highlight videos.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:23 PM, AUwent said:

For your viewing pleasure.

I actually remember that thread LOL. That first bullet point had the memory rushing back to me. There's something about the "Brandon Harris just has the it factor" sentence that has made it impossible to forget

• Haha 2