2020 4* WR Malcolm "The Jet" Johnson Commits to AU!

ellitor

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

All I can say is if he enrolls this fall, it's a good thing because, play or not, we don't have to continue recruiting him and we don't have to worry about a flip.

repeat this 100 times.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup once again we have a silent that...

Another One Bites The Dust GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I think we now know where Chizik got his inspiration for these...

Screenshot_20200814-094518~2.png

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Great job Kodi -   again

Possibly the biggest Told Ya So / Mea Culpa of Gus's career. 

But yes sir, mea culpa as many times as I have to say it. 

(Now let's see if these guys are going to get to run routes and catch balls.) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Schwartz and MJJ on the field together.... *chefs kiss* that’s a lot of speed to cover 

Sure is if you actually get them the ball.  Hopefully Morris will be able to figure it out.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So who is the second boom? 

@ClaytonAU There isn't one. Fans, myself included, wrongly assumed Keith's major surprise post to mean a 2nd boom was coming. As stated earlier the major surprise is MJJ is reclassifying to 2020, enrolling this weekend, & can play this season.

• Like 2

Pretty crazy a guy can commit a month before the season starts and then reclassify and play in that season. But anytime you can get elite speed its a good thing. Add the 6'1(ish) frame and he could be a really good all around receiver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

really good all around receiver. 

We don't have those at Auburn, only blockers, deep threats, and screen guys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Which one of those is Seth Williams?

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@ClaytonAU There isn't one. Fans, myself included, wrongly assumed Keith's major surprise post to mean a 2nd boom was coming. As stated earlier the major surprise is MJJ is reclassifying to 2020, enrolling this weekend, & can play this season.

is he graduating a year early of does covid have everything so crazy he is able to just do as he wants?

• Like 1

Just now, lutzcammed said:

is he graduating a year early of does covid have everything so crazy he is able to just do as he wants?

Graduating early.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was wondering earlier if Tyreek Hill would've been the screen guy, the deep threat guy, or the jet sweep guy for us. 

44 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Schwartz and MJJ on the field together.... *chefs kiss* that’s a lot of speed to cover 

I thought Schwartz played the slot mostly, and that is where MJJ will be playing? 

I guess they can always split one of them out wide. I don't know how much Morris moves his WRs into different roles.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I thought Schwartz played the slot mostly, and that is where MJJ will be playing? 

1 WR doesn't have to & usually doesn't play all 75-85 snaps of a game at a specific position.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was wondering earlier if Tyreek Hill would've been the screen guy, the deep threat guy, or the jet sweep guy for us. 

Madam Secretary Elizabeth Mc Cord GIF - MadamSecretary ...

• Haha 1

Just now, ellitor said:

Madam Secretary Elizabeth Mc Cord GIF - MadamSecretary ...

You must've missed the "for us" at the end. Although Sammie Coates did get to run deep routes AND catch bubble screens. #versatility

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You must've missed the "for us" at the end

Nope. I'm saying he's so damn good at all of them that even we wouldn't pigeon hole him.

• Haha 3

Behind the commitment: How Auburn landed Malcolm Johnson Jr.

By Keith Niebuhr

Relationships always are important in recruiting and that has never been more true than in the recruitment of Alexandria (Va.) St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes Top247 receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr.

Johnson, who committed to Auburn over Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU on Friday and plans to reclassify and enroll at Auburn next week, was at one time leaning to the Tide. He loved Alabama. So did his family. That program has the big national name and has had great success putting receivers in the league of late.

But the Tigers beat the odds to win this intense recruitment.

And, they did it largely because of the relationship Johnson built with receivers coach Kodi Burns. In multiple conversations this week both with Johnson and others with knowledge of this recruitment, we gained some more insight into Auburn’s huge recruiting win.

-According to our intel, Burns always felt like the Tigers had a good chance. From the time he visited Johnson’s school early in the year through Friday, he spent hour after hour communicating via phone, FaceTime and Zoom with Johnson. Sometimes, they’d talk for two hours in a single night. Said a source, “Kodi outworked everybody else.” Insiders tell us Burns worked as hard on this target as he has on any during his time at Auburn. Of all the receivers he has recruited, Burns probably grew closest with Johnson and Justyn Ross, who chose Clemson over Auburn. Johnson’s parents also are tight with Burns and felt comfortable with him. Even though there were other factors involved, make no mistake, Burns was far and away the central figure here for the Tigers. He deserves 99 percent of the credit for this commitment. “It,” said one source, “was an authentic relationship.”

-A big dynamic here is that Johnson is reclassifying to 2020. With football in Virginia off until next year, Burns apparently was the only coach recruiting Johnson to inquire about Johnson enrolling in college a year early. That possibility really got Johnson’s attention. Even though it meant he would be part of a five-receiver class at Auburn, Johnson was undeterred because he thought with his elite speed (he has run the 100 meters in 10.38 seconds), there is nobody in that group with his unique skillset. The important of this development to Auburn landing Johnson can’t be understated.

-Having offensive coordinator Chad Morris at Auburn helped for a couple reasons. 1. With Auburn expected to throw the ball more moving forward, it was an easier sell to Johnson. In some previous cycles, convincing top-end receivers to sign with Auburn has been a challenge. But Morris’ track record gave the Tigers numbers they could use in this recruitment. He has thrown the ball everywhere he has been. 2. Johnson liked that Auburn has compared him to a player Morris coached at Clemson who now is in the NFL — Sammy Watkins. It allowed him to visualize the possibilities in Morris’ offense more clearly.

-The chance to play with — and then replace Anthony Schwartz — at Auburn helped. Sources at Auburn think Schwartz, the Tigers’ speedy receiver, likely will be NFL bound after the 2020 season. Johnson liked that he could be his successor. Also, the opportunity to play alongside him and train with him for the track and field team, was appealing. In Schwartz, Johnson has seen what he could become with the Tigers.

-Alabama was really the one school Auburn was concerned about the most. Not Georgia. Not LSU. Not Florida. In June, Auburn felt great about landing 4-star receiver Christian Leary of Florida. Him committing to the Tide was a bit stunning for the Tigers — but it kept them on their toes even more with Johnson.

-With Johnson now on board, there’s a chance Auburn may only sign one receiver in the 2021 class.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I guess they can always split one of them out wide. I don't know how much Morris moves his WRs into different roles.

Think about the way Bama used Waddle and Ruggs last season. Think we could see something similar. And if you go back to Chads clemson days he usually likes to get the ball the multiple guys 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope. I'm saying he's so damn good at all of them that even we wouldn't pigeon hole him.

Oh, Gus would've pigeonholed him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1