2020 4* WR Malcolm "The Jet" Johnson Commits to AU!

ellitor

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You know who I liked the most? LEARY!!!! lol. Still dunno what happened there. He told everyone he was committing to AU then....... 

Yup once again we have a silent that...

Another One Bites The Dust GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith has mentioned a number of times AU is likely getting MJJ.

Ah, ok. Just guessing. I don't follow recruiting beyond this forum, so maybe there's more? Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Boom boom booming boom 💥 boom 💥 

• Haha 1

4-star WR Malcolm Johnson Jr. commits to Auburn

By Keith Niebuhr

Malcolm Johnson Jr. will be an Auburn Tiger.

The 4-star receiver from Arlington (Va.) St. Stephen's & St. Agnes committed to Gus Malzahn’s program on Friday, giving Auburn a huge recruiting win over Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU.

But the news doesn’t stop there.

Johnson will be able to play for the Tigers this season. That’s right — this season.

He is reclassifying from 2021 to 2020 and plans to enroll in classes at Auburn next week.

“I feel like Auburn has a nice family feel and I feel like under any circumstances the school will always have my back,” Johnson said. “That was really important to me.”

Because of the COVID-19 situation, high school football in Virginia is off this fall. So instead of waiting to play in the spring, Johnson made the decision to enroll in college early.

“I feel like this is a one-time opportunity,” Johnson said. “Auburn provided me a better opportunity. That was the best choice for me and my family.”

Johnson, who is 6-feet-1, 185 pounds, had been the No. 36 receiver and No. 191 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite for 2021. It’s unclear at this time where he would sit in the 2020 rankings.

Last season, Johnson caught 47 passes for 832 yards and 7 touchdowns. He is known for his big-play ability — and his speed. Johnson has a best 100-meters time of 10.38 seconds, making him one of the fastest 2020s in the country.

At Auburn, he plans to also run track.

The Tigers, in their conversations with Johnson, compared him to former Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, who became a first-round pick. Watkins played under first-year Auburn offensive coordinator Chad Morris in college.

It wasn’t Malzahn or Morris who played the biggest role in Johnson’s recruitment, but receivers coach Kodi Burns.

“I talk to him literally like every day,” Johnson said. “Just about the littlest things. There’s no question about our relationship.”

With Johnson arriving at Auburn early, the Tigers have one of the top receiver classes (if not the top class) in the country for 2020. Of the now five receivers in that haul, four had 4-star rankings.

Here is Johnson’s 247Sports evaluation: Strong frame with good size. Elite speed. Ran 55 meters in 6.26 seconds. Tough to jam at line because of physical strength and speed intimidation. Shows good hand technique and is difficult to re-route. Nearly impossible to catch in open field. Has some elusiveness. Good ball skills. Effective on short routes and deep. Shows ability to high-point ball in traffic. Accelerates well. Gets out of breaks with purpose. Physically ready for college. Needs to work on flexibility getting into route. Becoming more elusive in tight spaces would significantly enhance game. Multi-year starter at high level program. Day 3 NFL draft potential.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* WR Malcolm Johnson Jr. Commits to AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic
Just now, ellitor said:

Keith just posted the surprised. MJJ is reclassifying to AU & enrolling next weekend.

SO how does that rate on the major suprise scale for you? I am not as excited as I would of been for another big time commit! hahaha. But that is just because that is what I wanted most!!! NIEHBUR bamboozled me once again!!! lol

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

SO how does that rate on the major suprise scale for you? I am not as excited as I would of been for another big time commit! hahaha. But that is just because that is what I wanted most!!! NIEHBUR bamboozled me once again!!! lol

It's unquestionably a major surprise. Just a different type of one.

• Like 4

Just now, ellitor said:

It's unquestionably a major surprise. Just a different type of one.

Of course Chad Simmons had to ruin my good vibes for a little bit with him trying to bury his news as soon as we get good news.. SMH. War Damn MJJ.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nah I can’t lie at least for me that’s a major surprise. This something I never seen coming or would’ve even guessed. Potentially Schwartz and MJJ on the field at the same time? Sheesh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Of course Chad Simmons had to ruin my good vibes for a little bit with him trying to bury his news as soon as we get good news.

???

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Nah I can’t lie at least for me that’s a major surprise. This something I never seen coming or would’ve even guessed. Potentially Schwartz and MJJ on the field at the same time? Sheesh

When I think of major suprise I think of a Mondon or Kool Aid committing BUT this is still really really cool. Do not have to worry at all about a flip and all of that nonsense. War Damn MJJ.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

???

Lassiter is not committing next week now.

• Sad 1

Boom, War Eagle, Welcome to Auburn this year.

Dumb question I thought we were out of scholarships this year? 

Are we able to do this because he re-classified?

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* WR Malcolm "The Jet" Johnson Commits to AU!
Just now, ellitor said:

the simpsons GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

Keith is dunking on J Lee so that is always fun!!! hahaha. J Lee will not concede that MJJ will be class of 2020!!! This never ends well for ol J Lee. *knock on wood*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There may be a way he still counts to the 2021 numbers. I have no clue & am not going to try to bust my ass to figure that ish out anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, ellitor said:

There may be a way he still counts to the 2021 numbers. I have no clue & am not going to try to bust my ass to figure that ish out anymore.

The only other thing I can think of is we may have gotten to replace Osborne in the 2019 limit with a 2020 EE allowing MJJ count to 2020 since Osborne just transferred as a freshman.

• Like 1

If he ends up like a Sammy Watkins this will be a day to remember. I hope it plays out that way! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Boom, War Eagle, Welcome to Auburn this year.

Are we able to do this because he re-classified?

We were, speaking of convential circumstances. I used to keep up with numbers like some folks keep up with religion. The NCAA and colleges can/have finagled the rules so much that it doesn't pay to study this stuff any more.

All I can say is if he enrolls this fall, it's a good thing because, play or not, we don't have to continue recruiting him and we don't have to worry about a flip.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

yeah that was pretty slick - "can't play HS ball this year, so I will just go down to Auburn and play in the SEC"

LOVE THE ATTITUDE  

WAR DAMN EAGLE! 

Great job Kodi -   again

• Like 7