2020 4* WR Malcolm "The Jet" Johnson Commits to AU!

ellitor

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I know Auburn is trying to get a mix of size vs. speedsters vs. ???

Is this cat a good  fit for what we think we need at WR?  

I know he has 4* skills and probably an awesome commitment, but wondering how this commit could impact the Baylor commit we are trying to flip.   Can we get both?

Yes, I am greedy.

He’s a guy with supposedly good hands and elite track speed. He’d be a good fit with anybody with that kind of speed

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Beaker said:

@Beaker He's being recruited for the speedy slot WR position. Knowing that watch his highlights again & judge for yourself...

21 minutes ago, Beaker said:

but wondering how this commit could impact the Baylor commit we are trying to flip.

Means 1st in the boat gets the spot for him, Roc Taylor, or Isaiah Brevard.

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Can we get both?

Yes but Pressley will be much tougher to flip now than he was a month or so ago. Ever since word got out AU was making a move for him Baylor has pulled out all the stops to keep him.

• Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I don't think it's "vs." with Chad. I think he just looks for good, athletic WRs who can do whatever he needs them to. If you look at his glory days at Clemson, his receiver room was stacked with big, fast guys who could run every route in the tree. That seems to be what we're doing. And after all these years of extreme pigeonholing we and our receivers have been subjected to, I. am. here. for. it. I really do think our fanbase has some weird variation of Stockholm Syndrome where we've come to think that every receiver having a limited "role" based on physical traits is normal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Kudos to Tim Watts of BOL who basically said if AU does land MJJ then we will have flat out beat Bama for him. He is an absolute take for Bama.

Also hat tip to Tay who is the 1st one I've heard say the chance to be showcased as the star WR of the class was/is a major factor for MJJ. That's something Tim Watts reiterated last night in his BOL update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ellitor  Thanks for the clip and detailed answers - everyone.

As @bigbird pointed out earlier, I am a horrible judge of speed from video (LJ Johnson thread).  He was very nice about it.   🙂 

He didn't look elite fast to me, but I did see a whole lot of 'give up' from several defensive squads.  I wasn't impressed with the defensive coaching of their opponents I guess.  

I really liked what @McLoofus had to say - 'they all can play and should know all the routes'.   No more of this predictability based on who is in the game.   Good gosh that wore me out mentally when I would see that.  Made me want to get into coaching (that's a scary thought).

Thanks boys!   Made my day.

• Like 2

He would be a great pickup. He has the speed we are looking at in the slot. At 6'1" he is a little bigger then the quick slot receivers like Davis but with that speed that will not be an issue. 

Assuming we get him I think that will mean we have met all of our needs on the O side. I am not saying we won't be picking up other O players.  I believe we would like 1-2 more O-Line but with ones we have they could be project types but would love a stud type OT and another WR.  Also after filling out our needs on D if we still have slots we don't want to save for the following year there are always certain players that are a take if we had the chance to take them.

So I have my fingers crossed and I hope tomorrow I can send out a boom and a Welcome aboard with a War Eagle.

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Assuming we get him I think that will mean we have met all of our needs on the O side

I still think we need at least 1 more to help alleviate the rough OL recruiting from past years. We should take 4 OL minimum every year as is. More in this class would help repair the previous damage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I still think we need at least 1 more to help alleviate the rough OL recruiting from past years. We should take 4 OL minimum every year as is. More in this class would help repair the previous damage.

I agree and I said in my post we would like 1-2 more.  When I say we have met our needs I am not saying we don't want more but that we have gotten the quality and the minimum number of people we need not that we are done on O.

Whoa. I'm just now realizing how elite his speed is. Like, fastest player in the 2021 class elite. I would not be underwhelmed in the least if this is the big commit Keith hinted at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree and I said in my post we would like 1-2 more.  When I say we have met our needs I am not saying we don't want more but that we have gotten the quality and the minimum number of people we need not that we are done on O.

I know what you are saying. You are saying 1 or 2 more is a want. I'm saying IMO 1 more OL at minimum is more than a want. It's still a need.

Looks like we have a different definition of need & that's totally cool. lol

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa. I'm just now realizing how elite his speed is. Like, fastest player in the 2021 class elite. I would not be underwhelmed in the least if this is the big commit Keith hinted at.

Yes but is it a major surprise? Hasn't been for about 5 days now IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

Yes but is it a major surprise? Hasn't been for about 5 days now IMO.

Okay, I'm tracking now. 

Big boom but I'll hope the other one is just as big and also a 

The Keanu Reeves "woah" - GIF on Imgur

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Do you feel like after the 2021 class we have caught up and are solid with OL?  Or do we still need another year or so of recruiting to shore it up with talent?

37 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you feel like after the 2021 class we have caught up and are solid with OL?  Or do we still need another year or so of recruiting to shore it up with talent?

We'll need another year that's heavy on OL to get to where we need to be.  OL typically need a year or two to gain the required strength and proper technique. We need to fill out the RsSo, TSo, RsFr and the TFr ranks to build the depth necessary to create and force the competition that develop great lines...and that's if all of the pan out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you feel like after the 2021 class we have caught up and are solid with OL? Or do we still need another year or so of recruiting to shore it up with talent?

@abw0004 Can't answer that til we get to 2021 & know who is still here & how players developed this year if we have a season. I will say this though. Since you need to land at least 4 each year OL IMO it's never truly caught up.

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know he has 4* skills and probably an awesome commitment, but wondering how this commit could impact the Baylor commit we are trying to flip.   Can we get both?

Yes, I am greedy.

I like Roc Taylor more than Presley to be honest. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Same here. I really suspect Auburn is picking up a commit from out of the blue today... 

Still waiting for Keith to follow up with what he was talking about in his post. He has not addressed it once since......

14 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I like Roc Taylor more than Presley to be honest. 

You know who I liked the most? LEARY!!!! lol. Still dunno what happened there. He told everyone he was committing to AU then....... 

dfs.gif

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Still waiting for Keith to follow up with what he was talking about in his post. He has not addressed it once since......

Is it possible Keith is posting in a (non-COVID) bubble, meaning because other people outside his network (tweeters, podcasters, other journalists, etc) have picked this guy to AU but he's not mentioned it, that to his readers (assuming they only read him) this is a surprise? Does that even make sense or did I not drink enough Mtn Dew Zero this morning?

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

@GwillMac6Yes he has. Still being vague

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/board/42/Contents/Decision-day-for-4-star-receiver-Malcolm-Johnson-Jr-who-will-commit-to-Auburn-Alabama-LSU-Florida-or-Georgia-150258014/?page=1#M150270990

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Board/42/Contents/Okay-so--150272346/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Is it possible Keith is posting in a (non-COVID) bubble, meaning because other people outside his network (tweeters, podcasters, other journalists, etc) have picked this guy to AU but he's not mentioned it, that to his readers (assuming they only read him) this is a surprise? Does that even make sense or did I not drink enough Mtn Dew Zero this morning?

Keith has mentioned a number of times AU is likely getting MJJ.