2020 4* WR Malcolm "The Jet" Johnson Commits to AU!

ellitor

With this commitment and all the things going on, WE BETTER PLAY.

Or I may have to open a can...

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

With this commitment and all the things going on, WE BETTER PLAY.

Or I may have to open a can...

Oh, you haven't been opening cans this whole time? I've been opening a ton of them, and it really does help. Bottles, too. 

Drunk Star Trek GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Shoutout to Kodi Burns 

DO NOT FORGET OUR LORD AND SAVIOR CHAD MORRIS CHRIST broooooooo!!!!! hahaha.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

DO NOT FORGET OUR LORD AND SAVIOR CHAD MORRIS CHRIST broooooooo!!!!! hahaha.

Yes but  Kodi won this one. The man deserves his due.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Schwartz and MJJ on the field together.... *chefs kiss* that’s a lot of speed to cover 

And Shivers. 

• Like 2

With Malcolm Johnson, Auburn loading up at the receiver position

By Steve Wiltfong

Auburn continues to stack weapons around talented sophomore quarterback Bo Nix, as Top247 receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. announced his commitment to the Tigers Friday morning along with the news he’s reclassifying and enrolling right away in joining a promising receiver room on The Plains.

It’s well documented that Johnson and his 10.38 speed in the 100m dash made him the fastest prospect in the 2021 class. He now adds to a dynamic group of playmakers Gus Malzahn and company signed this past December and February at the receiver and tight end position.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound is the No. 16 receiver and No. 118 prospect overall in the Top247, using his jets to turn 47 receptions into 832 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior. Auburn now has four, four-star wide outs joining the 2020 roster, Kobe Hudson, Ze’Vian Capers and J.J. Evans the other three (three-star Elijah Canion also signed in 2020), to push the likes of Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove who are among the top returning trio at the position in the SEC.

This has quickly become a deep and extremely talented blend of receivers, a combination of size and playmaking ability, and it will be hard to find more speed on another roster when looking at Johnson and Schwartz particularly.

Then you add the two four-star tight ends in Jeremiah Pegues and Brandon Frazier and Malzahn and new offensive coordinator Chad Morris have to be licking their chops at the potential mismatches they can create over the next few years with this diverse set of personnel.

The 6-foot-1, 196-pound Hudson still excites me the most, a four-year starter for Troup County High in Georgia where as a junior you could make an argument he was the top player in the state, throwing for 3,386 yards and 38 touchdowns with another 1,410 yards rushing and 18 scores on the ground. His numbers dipped as a senior under center, but he was a four-year varsity guy that shined at receiver his first two seasons hauling in 28 touchdowns over those two campaigns combined, and has always looked natural playing it in camp settings we’ve seen beyond that. Elusive and electric in the open field, there is a lot of promise with Hudson.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound Capers had over 2,000 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns combined over his last two prep seasons at Alpharetta (Ga.) Denmark, a red-zone extraordinaire that is quick and creates separation in his routes. A long target, smooth route runner with terrific hands.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Evans is a bit of a specimen that had a monster junior year with 1,706 yards receiving and 18 touchdowns at Montevallo (Ala.) High. Injury slowed him as a senior putting up a modest 38 catch, 617 yards seven touchdown campaign, but he’s healthy now, comes in with a 37-inch vertical, a ferocious body type on the perimeter.

The 6-foot-4, 213-pound Canion comes in helping Chaminade-Madonna win three-straight Florida state championships averaging over 20-yards per catch the last two seasons en route to 1,140 yards and 11 scores.

Johnson is the take the top off guy, the jet sweep guy, the slant guy and he out runs the defense. He has a different gear.

Last year in breaking in Nix under center Auburn ranked 64th nationally in total offense and 87th in passing, but as he continues to progress at the controls, he has no shortage of talent around him, Johnson the latest to join the fold.

Looks like @McLoofus may be right again. (At some point I'm going to get tired of saying that. lol) FWIW Mark Murphy said he was told that the WRs are being coached to play all of the positions this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like @McLoofus may be right again. (At some point I'm going to get tired of saying that. lol) FWIW Mark Murphy said he was told that the WRs are being coached to play all of the positions this year.

This might be the single biggest evolution we see in this offense and it might address many of the issues that @bigbird and others have brought up all these years about the predictability of our offense based on personnel on the field and how they are lined up. Never mind what this will do for getting these guys drafted more highly. 

If we thought Kodi was already recruiting well, we're probably about to see him go to another level. That might be what happened here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This might be the single biggest evolution we see in this offense and it might address many of the issues that @bigbird and others have brought up all these years about the predictability of our offense based on personnel on the field and how they are lined up. Never mind what this will do for getting these guys drafted more highly. 

If we thought Kodi was already recruiting well, we're probably about to see him go to another level. That might be what happened here.

OJT works...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yes but  Kodi won this one. The man deserves his due.

Kodi and Chad were def the ones who won this recruitment. In  articles those were the 2 studs who he said were most important in this recruitment when it came to getting a commitment from him. WOOOO!!! WAR DAMN!!!

• Like 1

Over last few years Kodi has more than earned his Chops as a recruiter. Some still say he has to prove he can develop players. I disagree with that. I think the issue was the offense we run does not utilize the kind of route trees that let receivers develop.  Assuming Morris really does run the O I think you will see more sophisticated route trees and more chances for receivers to shine.  If I am right we may soon have a big problem of other schools trying to get Kodi away from us.

• Like 2

I want 5 wide, bombs away. I am talking varsity blues,  James vanderbeek calling the plays from the huddle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kodi and Chad were def the ones who won this recruitment. In  articles those were the 2 studs who he said were most important in this recruitment when it came to getting a commitment from him. WOOOO!!! WAR DAMN!!!

99% sounds like a lot more Kodi than Chad. lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Over last few years Kodi has more than earned his Chops as a recruiter. Some still say he has to prove he can develop players. I disagree with that. I think the issue was the offense we run does not utilize the kind of route trees that let receivers develop.  Assuming Morris really does run the O I think you will see more sophisticated route trees and more chances for receivers to shine.  If I am right we may soon have a big problem of other schools trying to get Kodi away from us.

Co sign fam!!! Malzahn "system" is straight trash for throwing the rock and especially for WR's. Just absolute garbage. Kodi is working with 1 hand tied behind his back. Same as D Craig. I never blamed D Craig for the "lack of development"" and I do not blame Kodi either. It is not their fault.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Co sign fam!!! Malzahn "system" is straight trash for throwing the rock and especially for WR's. Just absolute garbage. Kodi is working with 1 hand tied behind his back. Same as D Craig. I never blamed D Craig for the "lack of development"" and I do not blame Kodi either. It is not their fault.

I'm guilty of playing both sides of the fence. But usually once the season's over, I stop being mad at Kodi and I stay mad at Gus's offense, haha. 

And now I'm leaving the door open for Chad's offense helping Kodi get this one over the finish line, which means that I definitely have to factor in the offense Kodi's been working with until now.

As for Kodi +/vs Chad in this recruitment, it's true that Kodi's been recruiting well for a couple years now, but I don't know how often he's straight up beat our rivals for a guy they wanted. And while Chad might not have been in the room a lot for MJJ, Kodi's definitely got a new list of other names in his pocket now- names like Watkins, Hopkins, Bryant, Humphries,  Williams, Sutton, Quinn, Proche... Why the italics on those last 3, you ask? Morris got 3 WRs drafted from *SMU*. (Yes, he gets to claim Proche.) Anybody who's been playing fantasy for the last 7 or 8 years has 100% had at least 2 of those guys on his roster at some point. 

So yeah. Kodi definitely has some ammo he didn't used-ta. 

• Haha 1

Great get and LOL at me on this kid. I watched his film and thought: “Meh. That is some crappy competition the way he’s running circles around those guys”.....not realizing he’s THE FASTEST FREAKING GUY IN THIS WHOLE RECRUITING CYCLE!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! WAR DAMN KODI CAT AND WAR DAMN CHAD!!!! LET’S GGGGOOOOO!!!!

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Mark Murphy said he was told that the WRs are being coached to play all of the positions this year.

tenor.gif

• Love 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I want 5 wide, bombs away. I am talking varsity blues,  James vanderbeek calling the plays from the huddle.

Love the reference.👍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It's called the Oop-dee-oop. Get it right! :tease:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Let's reincarnate the Satellite Express: 

I remember an interview Jim Lampley did with Totten and he said something like, "Sometimes I miss the pass because I look up and see 2, 3 or 4 open receivers and I am not sure who I am supposed to throw to."    It was hilarious.    I suspect Chad Morris is looking at this arsenal of TEs, RBs and WRs and salivating.

The Satellite Express was a college duo composed of Willie "The Satellite" Totten and Jerry "World" Rice    Totten set more than 50 Division I-AA passing records,   The Delta Devils averaged 59 points a game during the 1984 season, with Totten throwing for a record 58 touchdowns and leading the Delta Devils to the Division I-AA playoffs in 1984. Archie Cooley, who was the head coach at MVSU, was the architect of the innovative pass-oriented offense known as "The Satellite Express"  which included 5 WRs and the "No Huddle" offense [2]

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Let's reincarnate the Satellite Express: 

I remember an interview Jim Lampley did with Totten and he said something like, "Sometimes I miss the pass because I look up and see 2, 3 or 4 open receivers and I am not sure who I am supposed to throw to."    It was hilarious.    I suspect Chad Morris is looking at this arsenal of TEs, RBs and WRs and salivating.

The Satellite Express was a college duo composed of Willie "The Satellite" Totten and Jerry "World" Rice    Totten set more than 50 Division I-AA passing records,   The Delta Devils averaged 59 points a game during the 1984 season, with Totten throwing for a record 58 touchdowns and leading the Delta Devils to the Division I-AA playoffs in 1984. Archie Cooley, who was the head coach at MVSU, was the architect of the innovative pass-oriented offense known as "The Satellite Express"  which included 5 WRs and the "No Huddle" offense [2]

I would be all for developing a package for this, but there's no way Gus would allow it to be used for more than a drive, I don't think.