Chris Hodges- Church of the Highlands Pastor Controversy

Grumps

15 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am saying his ...some...church members are saying he teaches dems are evil.and they agreed with him. believe it or not i do not have to make anything up with all the crap that is out there to choose from. if you want to call something not weel stated on my part to lying then go for it big boy. nothing i say is going to convince you otherwise.

Link? I think you are confusing his citation of Romans 12:21
Romans 12:21, NASB: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." 
Romans 12:21, NLT: "Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good."

at the time or something. What you are quoting does not in the least sound like Hodges.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I've never heard of him being quite that partisan.  I have heard that some comments in his sermons lean heavily conservative.  But that's a blind spot a lot of pastors have across the political spectrum, not just Hodges.

The association with Charlie Kirk bothers me more than anything else. 

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Link? I think you are confusing his citation of Romans 12:21
Romans 12:21, NASB: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." 
Romans 12:21, NLT: "Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good."

at the time or something. What you are quoting does not in the least sound like Hodges.

it was about seven people discussing this on facebook. not sure how to link that or find it again. i thought i stated it was people talking on face book. now i do not know them so they could be lying or stretching the truth. my ex girl said the same thing for a fact. regardless it is disheartening.

22 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Homie wants a better America that suits his own personal thoughts of what he thinks is right. That’s fine and all, but his views are wholly one sided and he doesn’t want to engage in actually listening to what the other side of the aisle has to say. Granted I see some on both sides that do the same. When Homie gets called out he gets very petulant, and wants to claim to be the victim. Starts the name calling and whines about others calling him out or dishing it back to him. Why would anyone take him seriously? He shows his true intelligence and maturity when he does that. If he wants to engage in meaningful debate I welcome it. But he and a few others have this “holier than thou” attitude when talking to people that don’t fall in block step with their thoughts. And the hypocrisy, that’s a whole other issue. He said he is trying to change his ways, so hopefully he will mature.

For instance you and I may not see eye to eye on everything, but we can have a candid back and forth. It’s respect, you show you respect others and it gets returned. Some others on here, not so much. 

Hope that helps you see my viewpoint! 

man folks have been attacking homie or laughing at him for years on here. i get what you are saying but my point is it is like you are coming into the conversation late and might not have seen all the slander and name calling he takes. see my point? and for some odd reason some of the worst offenders against homie either left or were removed from the political boards.folks have said some horrible things about homie on here. now as far as him wanting things his way i cannot speak of because i thought that was a basic human concept of all of us and something we would all want if we were honest. i try to see everyone's point on here. i was told once i was spamming the board here and in football. the football thing comment was made because i pissed someone off and dared to post an article from al.com. as for spamming the political boards hell there is a treasure trove of stuff on trump out there and i am thinking are you guys kidding? but i slowed way down. but my point is i was not trying to spam the board i wanted to discuss many things concerning trump. but yeah we good. i hate no one on here. and i understand how people get excited or emotional as well.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

man folks have been attacking homie or laughing at him for years on here. i get what you are saying but my point is it is like you are coming into the conversation late and might not have seen all the slander and name calling he takes. see my point? and for some odd reason some of the worst offenders against homie either left or were removed from the political boards.folks have said some horrible things about homie on here. now as far as him wanting things his way i cannot speak of because i thought that was a basic human concept of all of us and something we would all want if we were honest. i try to see everyone's point on here. i was told once i was spamming the board here and in football. the football thing comment was made because i pissed someone off and dared to post an article from al.com. as for spamming the political boards hell there is a treasure trove of stuff on trump out there and i am thinking are you guys kidding? but i slowed way down. but my point is i was not trying to spam the board i wanted to discuss many things concerning trump. but yeah we good. i hate no one on here. and i understand how people get excited or emotional as well.

image.gif

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I've never heard of him being quite that partisan.  I have heard that some comments in his sermons lean heavily conservative.  But that's a blind spot a lot of pastors have across the political spectrum, not just Hodges.

he could be a great guy titan. his problem as i understand it is the racist cat he gave likes to was invited to speak at the church. and between al.com,yahoo, and convo i read briefly i am not sure where i saw it but it should be out there. and i feel the churches are letting people down with politics and some preaching the left is evil. that is the talking point for most on the right and i believe it is fair to say some of it seeps into the church. this is my personal opinion based on what i see and hear. my best friend whom is a great guy is a baptist preacher and he told another close friend he almost dropped our friendship because i am too liberal. and hell i do not even know what that means. i can thankfully pray anywhere and pretty much anytime so i handle it. but i will admit i am afraid of the church anymore. my first hard hit was a couple of people in church telling me i would go to hell because i was growing my hair out. i felt let down because my stepfather would beat me like a dog and dare me to come out of my room until he said it was ok. then he would take my ten year old sister and molest her repeatedly. my mom finally saw a belt mark on my back and ran him off but damage was already done. but with stupid stuff like hair i felt i could not speak out because they viewed hair and race like my stepfather did. ofr the record i did not know what he did to my sister until years later but i knew being in a bedroom with her and the door locked something was wrong. but my point is i lost the trust in my church when i needed them most and they let me down. i write all this to say why i feel and believe chatter of dems are evil. on the bright side i can talk to my preacher friend one on one and get some relief. my apologies for being all over the road with this.

16 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

image.gif

for the record my opinion is not always right so there is also that.........lol

al.com

Cancel Pastor Chris Hodges?

By Greg Garrison | ggarrison@al.com

Since Pastor Chris Hodges founded Church of the Highlands in 2001, meeting in a rented auditorium at Mountain Brook High School, it has spiraled outward in popularity from Birmingham’s suburbs to become Alabama’s largest church, with at least 22 branches spread out from Huntsville to Mobile, Tuscaloosa to Auburn.

Now embroiled in controversy, will 2020 go down as the year Hodges was “canceled” by social media?

From the beginning, Church of the Highlands has been controversial, with accusations by some more established churches that it was stealing sheep from their congregations with its rock concert-style services led by racially integrated professional-level praise bands. Theologians questioned its doctrine in Hodges’ lifestyle-oriented sermons, Bible-teaching tinged with Louisiana charisma and folksy humor.

Through it all, Church of the Highlands grew and grew, built a sprawling $16 million campus on Grants Mill Road in Irondale for its headquarters, rented school auditoriums on Sundays in various cities, grew more branches, built more campuses and streamed live video of Hodges preaching to locations throughout the state. By the start of 2020, more than 50,000 people were gathering weekly at all those branches to hear the message.

Other pastors openly envied the growth, unprecedented in scope, and came to study Highlands’ methods. Highlands College was launched to teach a new generation of millennial ministry.

Even with in-person Sunday worship services suspended since March 10 due to coronavirus, Church of the Highlands has continued to thrive. It had long placed a priority on live-streaming high-quality video production of its services, so it was a smooth transition to online-only services. Members of the church already contributed their tithes online, so income remained strong.

“This is a very shrewd organization, very up to date,” said historian Wayne Flynt, retired from Auburn University and a nationally renowned scholar on Southern religion. “Church of the Highlands membership is typically under 50, or people who wish they were or act like they are, more suburban, upwardly mobile, millennial-oriented, conservative theologically, conservative politically.”

Cracks in the armor

In the midst of heightened racial tension after the killing of George Floyd on Memorial Day at the hands of Minneapolis police, critics of Hodges found a vulnerability in his armor. He had been liking social media posts by Charlie Kirk, president of Turning Point USA, whose controversial pro-Donald Trump agenda includes arguing that “White Privilege is a myth.”

A Birmingham City Schools high school English teacher pointed out what she said were Hodges’ culturally insensitive social media “likes” and set off a firestorm. The backlash has forced Church of the Highlands’ “Dream Team” of hundreds of volunteers to stop mentoring youth and providing social outreach to Birmingham public housing communities. (The church was not paid for those services.)

The Birmingham Housing Authority voted June 8 to end its agreement with the church, and also ousted Christ Health Center, a separate entity that was founded by Church of the Highlands in 2009 to provide health services aimed at public housing residents, especially those in the Marks Village community of Gate City. Christ Health Center had recently followed up on its March effort to provide drive-through mass COVID-19 testing on the Highlands campus by offering free mobile coronavirus testing in public housing. That has now ended, though the clinic still offers free COVID-19 testing for those residents at its clinic in Woodlawn.

The Birmingham Board of Education also voted June 9 to cut ties with the church, which since 2014 had paid Birmingham City Schools $817,000 for the rental of facilities at Parker and Woodlawn high schools.

Hodges has repeatedly, emotionally apologized for liking Kirk’s social media posts and said they do not reflect his views.

“I can tell you those social media posts that I ‘liked’ do not reflect, in any way, my true feelings or beliefs,” Hodges said in a June 2 statement. “I now realize they were hurtful and divisive, and I sincerely apologize.”

Still, the criticism intensified. And friends of Hodges say it has hurt him deeply.

“Pastor Chris doesn’t have a racist bone in his body,” said Associate Pastor Layne Schranz, who moved to Birmingham to help found the church. “His record for 20 years proves that.”

Hodges has always made racial inclusion and serving the inner city a theme of the church. In addition to spending $2 million to launch Christ Health Center, which has provided free and discounted services to the poor of Woodlawn and surrounding areas for more than a decade, he led an effort to buy an abandoned fire station in Woodlawn and turn it into the first Dream Center. It has been a focus of the church’s volunteer outreach in the city. Teams of hundreds of “Dream Team” volunteers do regular projects that include cleaning up trash and helping residents repair run-down homes.

When Hodges announced he planned to start a church in west Birmingham in 2018, some established black pastors condemned the effort. The Rev. Michael R. Jordan, pastor of New Era Baptist Church on the west side of downtown, called Hodges a “slavemaster” and put up a sign that said, “Black Folks Need to Stay Out of White Churches.”

Church of the Highlands started renting Parker High School, paying Birmingham City Schools $3,000 rent to use the auditorium every Sunday morning, and hired a black campus pastor, former Auburn University football star Mayo Sowell.

Before the coronavirus shutdown, Church of the Highlands was drawing thousands of black worshippers every Sunday, with mixed crowds at most branches and mostly black congregations at Parker and Woodlawn high school auditoriums.

Now, questions over Hodges’ support of Trump and social media affinity for Kirk have aroused suspicion.

“Some people think it’s deep in his heart,” said the Rev. Gwen Webb, who took part in Birmingham civil rights marches in 1963 and is now associate pastor of Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in west Birmingham. “If they allowed them to continue to meet there (at Parker and Woodlawn), there was going to be a lot of hostility. We really don’t need any more negative pushback in the city. Negative things bring negative consequences.”

Some white and black members at Highlands have been openly rethinking their allegiance.

“Mr. Trump’s rhetoric in support of white supremacy, power and the dog whistle calls for dominance is destroying the fabric of inclusivity and equality for which you preach, teach, and strive to provide here in Alabama,” wrote Christine Clark, who had attended the Tuscaloosa branch of the church, in an open letter directed at Hodges.

Hodges’ defenders have included the president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., who spoke out on Twitter in support of Hodges, and former U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who is running for his old U.S. Senate seat.

“The actions taken by the Birmingham Housing Authority and the Birmingham Board of Education against the Church of the Highlands represent an attack on both religious liberty and freedom of speech,” Sessions said.

Flynt said no one should have been shocked to discover Hodges’ political leanings line up with Turning Point USA and Trump.

“I’m not staggered that he’s for Trump,” Flynt said. “If you take any megachurch in America that’s mostly white and evangelical, the pastor has about a 90% chance of being for Trump. I don’t understand the shock.”

Flynt said white evangelical support for Trump might have been undercut as the economy took a dive during the lockdown and protests over police violence turned into riots in many cities.

The moves by the Birmingham Housing Authority and the Birmingham Board of Education might harm Hodges’ reputation with some people, but are likely to have little impact on the continuing growth of the church in heavily Republican Alabama, Flynt said.

“The identification with Trump is a good thing within the church even if it’s bad outside the church,” Flynt said. “It won’t affect the Church of the Highlands in the least.”

Pastor Chris Hodges

Pastor Chris Hodges

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

i just got this off of al.com and it pretty much lays out the whole thing. on both sides.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, homersapien said:

And that's exactly why a pastor posting political comments on the Internet is a dumb ****.

This I agree with. 

Pastor Chris Hodges responds to social media controversy

The pastor of Alabama’s largest church has come under fire for following and liking social media posts by Charlie Kirk, president of the conservative non-profit Turning Point USA, a high school and college campus organization often controversial for its political stances.

A Birmingham high school English teacher did a post on Facebook pointing out that Pastor Chris Hodges, founder of the Church of the Highlands, repeatedly “liked” social media posts by Kirk.

“I do not attend Church of the Highlands,” said Jasmine Faith Clisby, who teaches English at Carver High School, has a degree in English from the University of Alabama, a master’s degree in education from UAB and is working on a doctorate in education at UAB.

“I would be upset if it comes off as me judging him,” she said. “It’s not that. I’m not saying he’s a racist. I’m saying he likes someone who post things that do not seem culturally sensitive to me.”

She said she found it objectionable and noteworthy that Hodges followed Kirk on social media.

“One of the main things Kirk harps on is white privilege being a myth,” Clisby said.

“I found something troubling," Clisby said. "I can’t see into Pastor Chris Hodges’ heart.”

One meme shared by Kirk featured a photo of Donald Trump standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks, with the caption, “The racist Donald Trump in the 1980s,” next to a photo of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam in a photo of two men wearing blackface and a KKK costume in a 1984 yearbook photo for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The caption for the second photo was “Progressive Leftist Ralph Northam in the 1980s.”

Clisby also shared a screen shot of that post with Hodges as one of those who “liked” the post on social media. Another screen shot showed Hodges liking a post about former President Barack Obama playing golf beneath a quote from Michelle Obama urging people to stay home except for essential activities. Another screen shot shows Hodges liking a photo of Kirk donating blood above the sentence, “We all must do our part to defeat China Virus.”

Hodges, who has been active in the Evangelicals for Trump Coalition, addressed racism in his online sermon Sunday morning and mentioned the social media post.

“White supremacy or any supremacy other than Christ, is of the devil,” Hodges said. “Some have even brought our church or even me into question. They’re wondering, where do you really stand? I think some saw something on social media that questioned my character. And, I’ll own it, by the way, but that is not what I believe.”

Hodges devoted much of his morning sermon on Sunday and a prayer service on Saturday morning to discussing racism.

It has been an incredibly tough season for our nation,” Hodges said Sunday. “Not only the coronavirus, which has tensions at their highest, but of course the racial injustices we’re experiencing,” he said.

“On Monday, once again, an unarmed black man died needlessly, as a police officer knelt on George Floyd’s neck," Hodges said. "I know with each new incident, with this one, Ahmaud Arbery, I think of Atatiana Jefferson, it’s disgraceful that racism, injustice, bigotry, prejudice, still even exists at all. I want you to know that I believe it makes God angry and it makes us angry too. I know we need to do something. We need to pray. We need to be the church. But Proverbs 31 says to speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves. Ensure justice for those who are being crushed. Think of that verse. Speak up for the poor and the helpless. Be sure that they get justice. I know our nation needs healing. It needs change. There’s many things that need to take place, beyond just prayer. I think prayer is probably the most important, personally I believe that. But I recognize a lot needs to be done. But as the Bible teaches, as Jesus teaches, as Dr. King taught so beautifully, that hatred cannot drive out hatred, violence doesn’t heal violence. It’s okay to be angry about an unfair system, injustices, but Romans 12:21 says don’t be overcome by that evil, overcome the evil with good. And I recognize that we need to speak up. People have asked, is Highlands going to say anything? I feel like we have, but I will make sure today. If that has not been clear to you, I’m going to make sure today that racism, bigotry, prejudice are real, they exist, and they are of the devil.

“It is not what we teach," Hodges said. "I understand how this has made you feel and I apologize. Honestly, it’s understandable to me. I don’t take it personally. I know people are hurting right now and they want clarity. I would love for you to not just look at a microscopic zoom-in but look at the totality of 37 years of ministry and 19 years as a church. If you look at that it will be abundantly clear that we value every person. For every person that has been marginalized, rejected or belittled, abused or even afraid because of how God made you, Tammy and I, the Church of the Highlands family, stand with you.”

Hodges added, “We will never stop fighting for liberty and justice for all. I love you. I’m sorry for perhaps the way you feel. I beg for us to come together in unity under the name of Jesus. And I really believe that God will heal our land.”

Clisby said she listened to Hodges’ sermon on Sunday and his reference to the social media.

“He admitted to it; he owns up to it,” she said. “He says he doesn’t believe that.”

Clisby said she was making a point about cultural sensitivity.

“With the racial unrest going on in our country, awareness is important in things that spark up tough conversations,” she said. “He more than likely is a great man. When we come from different backgrounds, it’s hard for those worlds to intertwine. We don’t talk about things that are hard to discuss.”

While majority white, the Church of the Highlands draws thousands of black worshippers, including at two inner-city Birmingham congregations, meeting at Woodlawn High School and at Parker High School in west Birmingham. Former Auburn University football player Mayo Sowell, who is black, is the campus pastor at the Parker High School location and preaches the sermons there. At more than 20 other branch locations across the state, sermons by Hodges were shown on video as part of in-person worship services before shutting down as a precaution against the coronavirus. For the past 12 weeks, the Church of the Highlands has held online worship services without Sunday morning in-person group gatherings. Hodges has discussed bringing back Sunday in-person worship services by June 21, although no final determination has been made.

On Tuesday, June 2, Hodges sent out the following apology:

I want to talk to you from my heart.

The first thing that I want to do is apologize. I’m sorry. As a pastor and, more importantly, as a follower of Jesus, I work to consider every action carefully, weigh every word, and be respectful of every person and opinion, as Christ taught.

I realize that I have hurt people that I love deeply because I “liked” multiple insensitive social media posts. Each one was a mistake. I own it. I’m sorry. I’ve learned so much in the past few days about racial disparities in America. I wish I could sit down and have a conversation with everyone impacted or hurt by my actions.

I have realized I can’t thoughtlessly scroll through social media and click "like" on a post while not fully understanding all that post represents. After taking the time to review and reflect, I can tell you those social media posts that I "liked" do not reflect, in any way, my true feelings or beliefs. I now realize they were hurtful and divisive, and I sincerely apologize.

I own my mistakes and ask forgiveness from those I have offended. Please know that I have learned, and will continue to learn, so much from this.

Over the last 20 years, our church and I have fought for the disenfranchised, marginalized, and hurting of ALL races in our community. But this week, I’ve learned that even with 20 years of loving and serving people, it’s still possible to have a blind spot that you just didn’t know was there.

I realize it is my responsibility to have more conversations to become better aware of the pain and the hurt, and to understand ALL people better.

As painful as this has been for many of you, it has opened my eyes to something that I just didn't fully understand. Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't realize I didn’t see it, and comprehend it like I should.

Through conversations this week where I just listened, I am learning more about unconscious bias and privilege. I have always had the privilege of never being followed around a store because of the color of my skin. That's a privilege I didn't even realize I had. I've never had to sit down with my kids and teach them the beauty of their skin color because someone at their school had devalued them merely because of it.

I can tell you this: With revelation comes responsibility. I have the responsibility of learning new thoughts and new points of view. Conversations I wish I had engaged in years ago will now shape who I will be in the years to come. Soon, I will be holding forums at our church to hear from Highlands members of all races, to share their experiences and heart. I am determined to listen, learn, and be a part of the solution.

I understand my influence, not only in our church locally, but as a voice to many churches globally. I take my responsibilities very seriously. I love you so much, and I’m deeply sorry that I hurt you. I have spent my lifetime loving and pouring into people, and moving forward, I will prove to you that even at 56 years old, you can still learn, you can get better, you can make changes and love people more deeply. I’m committed to that.

I can promise you one thing: As a pastor, I will continuously do my best to lead you to Jesus, and I will also teach you, by my actions, what it looks like to need Him. This won't be the last mistake that I make or the last bit of mercy I will need. I need God's compassion and your mercy.

All of us need God’s grace and mercy in this season, and I’m asking you to help me, help us, get better. Let’s all learn more, pray more, love better, and stand stronger so that we can see His Kingdom come, His will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

With love,

Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hodges

Jeff Sessions

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

i got tied up on the phone or i would have posted this sooner in fairness. amd he seems like a great guy. shrugs........

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

The pastor of Alabama’s largest church has come under fire for following and liking social media posts by Charlie Kirk, president of the conservative non-profit Turning Point USA, a high school and college campus organization often controversial for its political stances.

A Birmingham high school English teacher did a post on Facebook pointing out that Pastor Chris Hodges, founder of the Church of the Highlands, repeatedly “liked” social media posts by Kirk.

“I do not attend Church of the Highlands,” said Jasmine Faith Clisby, who teaches English at Carver High School, has a degree in English from the University of Alabama, a master’s degree in education from UAB and is working on a doctorate in education at UAB.

“I would be upset if it comes off as me judging him,” she said. “It’s not that. I’m not saying he’s a racist. I’m saying he likes someone who post things that do not seem culturally sensitive to me.”

She said she found it objectionable and noteworthy that Hodges followed Kirk on social media.

“One of the main things Kirk harps on is white privilege being a myth,” Clisby said.

“I found something troubling," Clisby said. "I can’t see into Pastor Chris Hodges’ heart.”

One meme shared by Kirk featured a photo of Donald Trump standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks, with the caption, “The racist Donald Trump in the 1980s,” next to a photo of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam in a photo of two men wearing blackface and a KKK costume in a 1984 yearbook photo for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The caption for the second photo was “Progressive Leftist Ralph Northam in the 1980s.”

Clisby also shared a screen shot of that post with Hodges as one of those who “liked” the post on social media. Another screen shot showed Hodges liking a post about former President Barack Obama playing golf beneath a quote from Michelle Obama urging people to stay home except for essential activities. Another screen shot shows Hodges liking a photo of Kirk donating blood above the sentence, “We all must do our part to defeat China Virus.”

Hodges, who has been active in the Evangelicals for Trump Coalition, addressed racism in his online sermon Sunday morning and mentioned the social media post.

“White supremacy or any supremacy other than Christ, is of the devil,” Hodges said. “Some have even brought our church or even me into question. They’re wondering, where do you really stand? I think some saw something on social media that questioned my character. And, I’ll own it, by the way, but that is not what I believe.”

Hodges devoted much of his morning sermon on Sunday and a prayer service on Saturday morning to discussing racism.

It has been an incredibly tough season for our nation,” Hodges said Sunday. “Not only the coronavirus, which has tensions at their highest, but of course the racial injustices we’re experiencing,” he said.

“On Monday, once again, an unarmed black man died needlessly, as a police officer knelt on George Floyd’s neck," Hodges said. "I know with each new incident, with this one, Ahmaud Arbery, I think of Atatiana Jefferson, it’s disgraceful that racism, injustice, bigotry, prejudice, still even exists at all. I want you to know that I believe it makes God angry and it makes us angry too. I know we need to do something. We need to pray. We need to be the church. But Proverbs 31 says to speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves. Ensure justice for those who are being crushed. Think of that verse. Speak up for the poor and the helpless. Be sure that they get justice. I know our nation needs healing. It needs change. There’s many things that need to take place, beyond just prayer. I think prayer is probably the most important, personally I believe that. But I recognize a lot needs to be done. But as the Bible teaches, as Jesus teaches, as Dr. King taught so beautifully, that hatred cannot drive out hatred, violence doesn’t heal violence. It’s okay to be angry about an unfair system, injustices, but Romans 12:21 says don’t be overcome by that evil, overcome the evil with good. And I recognize that we need to speak up. People have asked, is Highlands going to say anything? I feel like we have, but I will make sure today. If that has not been clear to you, I’m going to make sure today that racism, bigotry, prejudice are real, they exist, and they are of the devil.

“It is not what we teach," Hodges said. "I understand how this has made you feel and I apologize. Honestly, it’s understandable to me. I don’t take it personally. I know people are hurting right now and they want clarity. I would love for you to not just look at a microscopic zoom-in but look at the totality of 37 years of ministry and 19 years as a church. If you look at that it will be abundantly clear that we value every person. For every person that has been marginalized, rejected or belittled, abused or even afraid because of how God made you, Tammy and I, the Church of the Highlands family, stand with you.”

Hodges added, “We will never stop fighting for liberty and justice for all. I love you. I’m sorry for perhaps the way you feel. I beg for us to come together in unity under the name of Jesus. And I really believe that God will heal our land.”

Clisby said she listened to Hodges’ sermon on Sunday and his reference to the social media.

“He admitted to it; he owns up to it,” she said. “He says he doesn’t believe that.”

“With the racial unrest going on in our country, awareness is important in things that spark up tough conversations,” she said. “He more than likely is a great man. When we come from different backgrounds, it’s hard for those worlds to intertwine. We don’t talk about things that are hard to discuss.”

While majority white, the Church of the Highlands draws thousands of black worshippers, including at two inner-city Birmingham congregations, meeting at Woodlawn High School and at Parker High School in west Birmingham. Former Auburn University football player Mayo Sowell, who is black, is the campus pastor at the Parker High School location and preaches the sermons there. At more than 20 other branch locations across the state, sermons by Hodges were shown on video as part of in-person worship services before shutting down as a precaution against the coronavirus. For the past 12 weeks, the Church of the Highlands has held online worship services without Sunday morning in-person group gatherings. Hodges has discussed bringing back Sunday in-person worship services by June 21, although no final determination has been made.

The first thing that I want to do is apologize. I’m sorry. As a pastor and, more importantly, as a follower of Jesus, I work to consider every action carefully, weigh every word, and be respectful of every person and opinion, as Christ taught.

I realize that I have hurt people that I love deeply because I “liked” multiple insensitive social media posts. Each one was a mistake. I own it. I’m sorry. I’ve learned so much in the past few days about racial disparities in America. I wish I could sit down and have a conversation with everyone impacted or hurt by my actions.

I have realized I can’t thoughtlessly scroll through social media and click "like" on a post while not fully understanding all that post represents. After taking the time to review and reflect, I can tell you those social media posts that I "liked" do not reflect, in any way, my true feelings or beliefs. I now realize they were hurtful and divisive, and I sincerely apologize.

I own my mistakes and ask forgiveness from those I have offended. Please know that I have learned, and will continue to learn, so much from this.

Over the last 20 years, our church and I have fought for the disenfranchised, marginalized, and hurting of ALL races in our community. But this week, I’ve learned that even with 20 years of loving and serving people, it’s still possible to have a blind spot that you just didn’t know was there.

I realize it is my responsibility to have more conversations to become better aware of the pain and the hurt, and to understand ALL people better.

As painful as this has been for many of you, it has opened my eyes to something that I just didn't fully understand. Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't realize I didn’t see it, and comprehend it like I should.

Through conversations this week where I just listened, I am learning more about unconscious bias and privilege. I have always had the privilege of never being followed around a store because of the color of my skin. That's a privilege I didn't even realize I had. I've never had to sit down with my kids and teach them the beauty of their skin color because someone at their school had devalued them merely because of it.

I can tell you this: With revelation comes responsibility. I have the responsibility of learning new thoughts and new points of view. Conversations I wish I had engaged in years ago will now shape who I will be in the years to come. Soon, I will be holding forums at our church to hear from Highlands members of all races, to share their experiences and heart. I am determined to listen, learn, and be a part of the solution.

I understand my influence, not only in our church locally, but as a voice to many churches globally. I take my responsibilities very seriously. I love you so much, and I’m deeply sorry that I hurt you. I have spent my lifetime loving and pouring into people, and moving forward, I will prove to you that even at 56 years old, you can still learn, you can get better, you can make changes and love people more deeply. I’m committed to that.

I can promise you one thing: As a pastor, I will continuously do my best to lead you to Jesus, and I will also teach you, by my actions, what it looks like to need Him. This won't be the last mistake that I make or the last bit of mercy I will need. I need God's compassion and your mercy.

All of us need God’s grace and mercy in this season, and I’m asking you to help me, help us, get better. Let’s all learn more, pray more, love better, and stand stronger so that we can see His Kingdom come, His will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

With love,

Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hodges

Jeff Sessions

i got tied up on the phone or i would have posted this sooner in fairness. amd he seems like a great guy. shrugs........

i think the problem with a lot of folks is they have some racist views and do not know it. trumps says racist crap all the time and his people give him a pass because they either like trump or dislike the person he is making fun of. him calling warren pocohontas is racist. and many do not believe that.

19 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

With love,

Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hodges

Jeff Sessions

Chris is a great guy, a great pastor. He should probably let go of social media because it can bite you in the rear. He's owned his mistake and most will accept that and forgive. I can definitely promise you that if you ever want forgiveness you best be willing to forgive others first. Chris and Highlands Church have done so much for the state of Alabama in all kinds of ministry. Is this a blemish? Yes, but we all have to move forward from the things that others want to tear you down over. I'm partial because it was my church when I lived there and I still watch online every week. They are the most transparent church I've ever know with their money which is important to me. I know he's learned a lesson with this and he will be even better because of it. Some will not like what I'm going to say here but Satan throws stuff at all of us every day. Some of it sticks and hopefully most of it doesn't. The main thing for Christians is to recognize this and walk away from the temptation whatever it is. It's different for all of us because he preys on your weakness. Ok, I'll stop here with the understanding that there will be the usual thumbs down reactions in this forum. 

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

Chris is a great guy, a great pastor. He should probably let go of social media because it can bite you in the rear. He's owned his mistake and most will accept that and forgive. I can definitely promise you that if you ever want forgiveness you best be willing to forgive others first. Chris and Highlands Church have done so much for the state of Alabama in all kinds of ministry. Is this a blemish? Yes, but we all have to move forward from the things that others want to tear you down over. I'm partial because it was my church when I lived there and I still watch online every week. They are the most transparent church I've ever know with their money which is important to me. I know he's learned a lesson with this and he will be even better because of it. Some will not like what I'm going to say here but Satan throws stuff at all of us every day. Some of it sticks and hopefully most of it doesn't. The main thing for Christians is to recognize this and walk away from the temptation whatever it is. It's different for all of us because he prays on your weakness. Ok, I'll stop here with the understanding that there will be the usual thumbs down reactions in this forum. 

The fact that Chris Hodges is being treated this way is truly shameful.

The Birmingham City School System will lose tens of thousands of dollars and the residents in apartments run by the Birmingham Housing Authority will no longer receive food and clothing and medical care and compassion and validation. But at least the people will be safe from possibly hearing something that makes them feel bad.

I am so thankful that God is in control of all this, because the human leaders of this world are incredibly incompetent. 

i have issues with any pastor that is all about donald trump because he hurts someone every single day with his mouth and his actions. the shame is people have to be told this and still christians defend him every single day. i understand completely why people are leaving or just turning their back on the church.

to be fair it does not always mean if you like a post you approve of every single thing that person is or stands for. it means you liked that post. now if someone was liking every single post trump puts out there might be a problem. especially if it is racist in nature. i am hoping this man works all of this out. but for all of you to think everyone upset with this is wrong is just another problem within the church. at least the pastor is willing to look within and rethink the way he looks at things. a lot of you just get mad and claim it is wrong for him to be in any kind of trouble.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i have issues with any pastor that is all about donald trump because he hurts someone every single day with his mouth and his actions. the shame is people have to be told this and still christians defend him every single day. i understand completely why people are leaving or just turning their back on the church.

to be fair it does not always mean if you like a post you approve of every single thing that person is or stands for. it means you liked that post. now if someone was liking every single post trump puts out there might be a problem. especially if it is racist in nature. i am hoping this man works all of this out. but for all of you to think everyone upset with this is wrong is just another problem within the church. at least the pastor is willing to look within and rethink the way he looks at things. a lot of you just get mad and claim it is wrong for him to be in any kind of trouble.

Chris Hodges is not "all about Donald Trump." I don't think you can find a single quote from Chris Hodges that shows any support for Donald Trump unless it is supporting his presidency in the same way he supported Obama's presidency. Please, fifty, show me ANYTHING that Chris Hodges has said or done publicly that is politically motivated.

Ed Stetzer...well done. This one needs a careful read...there's something "not to like" for everyone. 🤫😉 That was nothing new to Jesus. ❤🦋

I'm so personally challenged by this! If there is the beginning of an answer or at least a bridge, I think it's in here somewhere. 

"This works in both directions—pitchforks feel good until everyone is pierced by them and no one is left to work together..."

https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2020/june/chris-hodges-trump-kirk-cancel-culture.html

15 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Chris Hodges is not "all about Donald Trump." I don't think you can find a single quote from Chris Hodges that shows any support for Donald Trump unless it is supporting his presidency in the same way he supported Obama's presidency. Please, fifty, show me ANYTHING that Chris Hodges has said or done publicly that is politically motivated.

Scripture itself divides. That's the root of it. Like you, Grumps, I'm glad God's got this. Lot of work to do...but staying prayed up to know how to view and what to do is at the top of my list. #FailFallFaithForward

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Ed Stetzer...well done. This one needs a careful read...there's something "not to like" for everyone. 🤫😉 That was nothing new to Jesus. ❤🦋

I'm so personally challenged by this! If there is the beginning of an answer or at least a bridge, I think it's in here somewhere. 

"This works in both directions—pitchforks feel good until everyone is pierced by them and no one is left to work together..."

https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2020/june/chris-hodges-trump-kirk-cancel-culture.html

Thanks for sharing!

29 minutes ago, Grumps said:

are you saying the kirk guy was not racist? i have already said not all people are racist that might agree with a post of trumps. i guess you missed that part. i have like a post when i thought trump did something good. why is the preacher apologizing to folks if he thinks he has done no wrong grumps? he pissed off thousand of people and not just one or two. trump just gassed his own people for a photo op with the bible.the question you asked is one you need to answer. are you a member of highland grumps? do you watch his show every week? you get upset when people call out something and people in HIS church are upset. the news articles states that. i am not out for getting that mans job at all. the point is trump is a racist, period. so is the kirk fellow from what little bit i have read in the news so if you are a prominent figure and you like someone who claims white privilege is a myth how can you not expect to upset your members of color?

usatoday.com

Is founder of Turning Point USA, Charlie Kirk, triggered by reality?

7-8 minutes

Corrections & clarifications: References in this column to an event in the United Kingdom have been updated.

Charlie Kirk, the founder of conservative student group Turning Point USA, seems to have a fraught relationship with facts when they get in the way of his worshipful approach to President Donald Trump. The leader of an organization that boasts more than 1,000 campus chapters and whose Twitter following has surpassed a million people, has a particular problem with history.

One recent distortion came in a tweet that read, “Trump is the first leader in the history of the world to be attacked for improving the lives of the citizens that voted for him.” Before you ask, no, while this statement was incredibly hyperbolic, it wasn’t a joke. Clearly, this statement is patently untrue.

All one has to do is recall a single conservative leader. Even Trump supporters have to admit that our current president presents no special exception. President Ronald Reagan cut taxes and slashed regulation in an effort to reinvigorate the economy. He got attacked countless times for doing so. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher suffered the same fate for her program of deregulation and privatization. Upon her passing, protesters cried out, “The bitch is dead.”

From a nonpartisan perspective, examples abound both domestically and globally. President Lyndon Johnson oversaw integration while much of the nation was still holding on to overt racism. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill got aggressive with Germany long before it was politically advantageous to do so. Both of these leaders paid a political price for trying to improve the lives of their constituents.  

Kirk has a bad habit of hyperbole

This isn’t Kirk’s first comment overstating the 45th president’s historical significance. Kirk believes that the president is the “greatest president of our lifetime,” and that history will judge Trump as our “greatest president ever.”

On Fox News last month, he said of the president, “He's so quick, he's relentless, but you look at what he's been able to accomplish with the amount thrown at him. I don't think that combination has ever happened in American history.” In a particularly hilarious tweet, he called Trump “the most moral president on record.” Yes, the man who has cheated on multiple wives, slept with a porn star and hasn’t ever asked God for forgiveness is more moral than the man who freed the slaves. Never mind the many women who accuse him of everything from unwanted kissing to outright rape.

The people have spoken:Democrats, voters reject your political correctness for good reason

My favorite instance of the hyperbole around Kirk has to be a news release promoting his then-upcoming trip to the United Kingdom: “A private event that is being billed as a gathering of political genius and the introduction of a fresh new political philosophy may be the most important American philosophical arrival to Europe since Thomas Jefferson arrived in Paris in 1784.” Yes, a Twitter influencer was being compared to a Founding Father. 

But Charlie Kirk’s inane remarks don’t exist in a vacuum. At the time of my writing, his tweet on Trump’s moral virtue had over 3,000 retweets and 6,000 likes. He hosts some of the largest conferences in the conservative movement. Just this month, 1,400 attended TPUSA’s Young Women’s Leadership Summit in Dallas, and it wasn’t just think-tank intellectuals who came to speak. Some of the most prominent voices on the right were invited to make an appearance: Charlotte Pence, the vice president's daughter; Dana Loesch of the National Rifle Association; Fox News commentator Kat Timpf; BlazeTV host Allie Beth Stuckey; and even a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley.

For the most part, those are people I respect and admire, but it’s time to stop allowing this charlatan to reign unchallenged.

Far too many on the right are actively cheering for Kirk. Last month, he received an honorary doctorate from Liberty University for his “exceptional leadership and energetic voice.” Liberty University might spend a little less time commending the energy behind the voice and a little more time on the truthfulness of what the voice has to say.

But why are conservatives continuing to put up with this?

In my experience though, the most common reason Charlie Kirk goes unquestioned is that many conservatives are afraid to criticize him. Very few popular members of the movement are doing it publicly. A smattering of brave voices from people you probably don’t know, and muddled whispers at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) from people you probably do, are all that can be heard in opposition to this powerhouse of a leader.

To give context to why this is likely happening, not only do the political personalities associated with Turning Point get invited to conferences, they get invited to speak at universities across the country. Similar student groups like the Young America's Foundation pay their speakers thousands of dollars to speak. It's hard to believe that Turning Point is paying anything less, and with the caliber of speaker they consistently attract, they are likely paying more. In other words, you criticize Charlie Kirk, and suddenly, an entire stream of revenue disappears.

Jeff Sessions:Free speech on college campuses is making a comeback

No one wants to alienate his audience, not just for financial reasons but for the sake of advancing conservatism. I’m sure some are worried that if they say negative things about Charlie Kirk, the students involved in his programs will write them off as a liar or a hack. These speakers want their message to be able to reach as many people as possible. The truth is, the vast majority of TPUSA students don’t understand the depths to which the organization and its leader have fallen. Regardless, it is the responsibility of more well-known conservatives to call Kirk out, conservatives who don't depend on the audience that Turning Point USA provides.

Don’t grant Kirk credence by speaking at his conferences, inviting him to be a guest on your shows, and singing his praises. Such actions only allow his brand of intellectual dishonesty to continue. I’m not arguing Charlie Kirk needs to be completely kicked out of polite society, but it would be nice to hear honest criticism of his statements once in a while. The reputation of conservatives and their honesty have been tarnished enough by President Trump. The right shouldn’t let Kirk’s brand of ahistorical sycophancy tarnish it further.

Haley Victory Smith is an editorial fellow for the USA TODAY Opinion section. Follow her on Twitter: @Haley_Victory

i think the problem might be you believe the same talking points they believe. my response is basically go ask the people at his church. i can see why folks are mad.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

The fact that Chris Hodges is being treated this way is truly shameful.

The Birmingham City School System will lose tens of thousands of dollars and the residents in apartments run by the Birmingham Housing Authority will no longer receive food and clothing and medical care and compassion and validation. But at least the people will be safe from possibly hearing something that makes them feel bad.

I am so thankful that God is in control of all this, because the human leaders of this world are incredibly incompetent. 

you know why i believe you do not get it? you say now the church will refuse to help those in need now because they do not like a response by the folks in power for the housing authorities?. they will no longer receive compassion?  lol how very jesus of you to think that. the purpose of the church and true christians is to turn the other cheek right? your comments above are pretty shameful to me. but you do you and i will do me. i wonder how many other religious organizations feel the same way and withhold help because they are butthurt.  and please if you say nothing else tell me if you are a member of his church or not. thankx

“I can tell you those social media posts that I ‘liked’ do not reflect, in any way, my true feelings or beliefs,” Hodges said in a June 2 statement. “I now realize they were hurtful and divisive, and I sincerely apologize.”

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you know why i believe you do not get it? you say now the church will refuse to help those in need now because they do not like a response by the folks in power for the housing authorities?. they will no longer receive compassion?  lol how very jesus of you to think that. the purpose of the church and true christians is to turn the other cheek right? your comments above are pretty shameful to me. but you do you and i will do me. i wonder how many other religious organizations feel the same way and withhold help because they are butthurt.  and please if you say nothing else tell me if you are a member of his church or not. thankx

The Birmingham Housing Authority refuses to let the church help the residents. I NEVER said that the church refused to help. Please read more carefully. Thanks!

this is what you said grumps. be more careful what YOU say. you never stated the housing folks would not allow any more help and i go by what you say and try not to go back and read the same article fourteen times ok?you did not say the church or who was responsible for this. it sounds like you are blaming minorities and libs for something the pastor did.the pastor has apologized more than once. there must be some guilt there.i will not apologize for anything i have not done. maybe you should google ol clerk and see what the problem is. but then clerk is a huge trump guy like you. you must still not believe trump uses religion as a tool and not what he really feels.

IMHO, after being part of a church that uses a high school for a sanctuary in a nearby town,  any benefit to being in a school is minimal. How would most react here if a mosque started worshipping and prayers  in a school? There would be hell to pay. As a Christian, leaving my church open for being responsible to any secular Authority is a non-starter. I don’t want a specular govt telling us when and how to worship. I think any church should be in a privately owned building. Just my opinion but I think it is wise council. 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, Grumps said:

Just about everything Aub50 says is nonsense thats why I blocked him over a year ago.

Archived