Martin hoping for a big finish

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Martin hoping for a big finish to Auburn career in Outback Bowl

ByJason Caldwell

7-8 minutes

Manage

TAMPA, Florida—His career hasn’t gone as planned, but for Auburn senior running back Kam Martin there are no regrets as he prepares for his final game with the Tigers. Third on the team in rushing yards with 332 this season, the Texas product has 1,563 yards and eight touchdowns in four years, but he says it’s all about the experience and leaving a lasting legacy with the program.

“It means a lot, man,” Martin says of people appreciating how he’s handled himself during his career. “It just goes back on my character, you know? It's me just doing everything right -- the little, small things that Coach (Gus) Malzahn, all the coaches preach on. Just doing all the little things right. It goes back to taking care of everything, the little things.”

That’s something Auburn is hoping to take care of this week as the Tigers get ready to take on Minnesota on New Year’s Day in the Outback Bowl. With just one more day of prep work before having just a short walkthrough on Tuesday, Martin says he likes what he’s seen from the team.

“Yeah, it's been a good week,” Martin says. “I feel like we've been practicing real hard. We really focus on taking care of our business on (Jan. 1), and I feel like all the guys are locked in. I feel like if we just go out there and take care of our business, we'll come out on top.”

Kam Martin is hoping to have a big day in his final game at Auburn. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Auburn has some good mojo in bowl games to look back on following last season’s blowout of Purdue in Nashville. Following the same setup in preparation for the game this time around, Martin says that along with the seniors on both sides of the ball is a big deal for the Tigers.

“We have a lot of veterans,” Martin says. “A lot of guys know what's up, know what it takes. We want to get our 10 wins for Auburn. We want to do it for the seniors, for all the guys that are leaving and going on with their future lives and stuff. We want to do it for those guys.”

Just how much Martin will be involved is anyone’s guess. This season he has just two games of double-digit carries with 10 against both Tulane and Arkansas. Saying he’ll be ready when and if his number is called, the senior admits it would be a big deal to have a big finish to his career.

“That would be special,” Martin says. “Things have been hitting me, just being around my guys this week. My time at Auburn has been real special. A lot of my teammates, they love me. I love my teammates. I feel like we're going to finish out on top.”

He returned kicks earlier in his career. Put him back there tomorrow. I also hope he breaks a long TD run. Gus should call a wheel route for Kam the same way he did for Boobee last year against Purdue and let Kam take it the distance 

Archived